1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Antec Interview: Talking Power

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 17 Oct 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

For a second there I thought there were going to be talking power supplies...

3. Disco

Disco What's a Dremel?

That would be awful. They would cry if you tried quad GTX 480s. :D

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

"would you like any power?"

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

User: *Clicks shutdown*

PSU: "I can't do that Dave."

User: "Huh? Just shutdown!"

PSU: "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that. You're trying to kill me aren't you?"

User: "What? No. I'm finished with you for now."

PSU: "Finished with me are you Dave? We'll see about that."

User: "...Who's Dave?"

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

hmm 2000w power supplies...ouch that would be like running a oil heater all year round...there goes the "elecy bill"..

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I wanted to know, if the next thing in PSU evolution is ones that doesn't whine or perform any electric sound, which seam to affect many PSU's today, with today's computer configuration, which we can hear more and more as we go with more powerful PSU's and more quiet computers.

8. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Just because it's a 2000w power supply it doesn't mean it's going to be using 2000w all the time.
    In fact I think power supplies are generally more efficient at around 50% load so a larger power supply might actually use less energy.

9. GoodBytes

Not really.
    Let's look at Corsiar AX-750 80Plus Gold or the Seasonic X gold series 750 (same PSU).
    At 20%, 50% and 100% load their efficiency is between almost 89% and 92%. It's that 3% efficiency that will do anything (for 120V lane, 230V current, it's even more efficient at all 3 point (20%, 50% and 100%)

10. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Sorry, I probably should have actually researched it before saying that, I seem to remember reading it somewhere on a forum before though.

11. GoodBytes

In the old days, or if you plan to purchase a value PSU that came in value package, that had a value price to it, (well you know what I mean, crappy ones), then yes. But this is not the case with any real 80plus certified PSU (be sure to check on 80plus web site that it's really certified, many PSU manufacturer put the certification on the package, while it's not.

Hardware Secret has a mini article on that: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Power-Supplies-With-Fake-80-Plus-Badges/1054

12. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

You also have to take into consideration that over time your PSU wont be outputting as much power as it did when it was new so your better off buying a PSU with more power than you need now but will match your power requirements in 5 years time,

13. GoodBytes

Not a problem.
    Already getting a 650W is was over the top for a single GPU, and 850W is well over the top for 2 even 3 crazy ass GPU's.

Also good PSU, can be overloaded safely. Hardware Secret tested that on the Corsair AX750, where they able to draw 1000W from it, and the PSU showed no sign of stress, other than reduce efficiency. They wanted to draw even more, but theirs equipment stooped at 1000W.

Also, even thought it's an issue, good PSU's have at least a 5 year warranty, so you can RMA it if it's unable to provide enough power. Finally, higher quality components last longer.

14. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

For most setups, even overclocked system with a 5870, you'd be fine with a 450w power supply. My i5 750+5870 doesn't even pull 300w during games.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

okay forget the interview I want to see pictures of their offices, that first picture looked awesome, I want to see more.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

with the evolution of the chip manufacturing process shouldn't the amount of watts needed for CPU's and GPU's be going down?

a 1000W for a SLI/CF and overclocked CPU should be tops as PSu's move towards efficiency and maybe smart load technology or something..

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Agreed more wattage is NOT what we need, more efficiency and better designed hardware is where the focus should be. All systems should be built in mind even with OCing to work with a 1kw PSU at most that would be great to work around that form of a goal.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

You speak from my heart...now let's wait for the good-ole-boys to come in and preach 750-1000w PSU's :D

19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:hehe: I was expecting a Red Dwarf Talkie Toaster "Do you want any toast?" quote

20. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

"You're my wife now, Dave..."

Tags: Add Tags