1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress AppleCoreDuo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cyprio, 2 Dec 2006.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Larger pic for some fine detail:

[​IMG]

And one more

[​IMG]

Same procedure for the fan below it and viola! (the 2 areas look slightly unaligned in the pic but it must be the camera angle as they look spot on to me)

[​IMG]

Here is a sneak preview of what the finished cage will look like... remember the inner cage will be black.

[​IMG]

Signing out for now...

Cyp.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2007
  2. KaotiK

KaotiK What's a Dremel?

Love the G5 case. You've done this case justice :thumb:

3. Sandwich

Sandwich What's a Dremel?

This is quite an inspiring mod. I love what you have done with the mesh

4. Dna14

Dna14 What's a Dremel?

I like the look of that. I would like to do something similar myself but It would probably take me forever and end up buying a case. Good Work!

5. customh

customh conflagration.

Great Job!! Look forward to seeing it finished, even if it is a while off.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

How long did it take you to drill all those holes???

BTW great looking case

7. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks for the encouraging comments.
    The hole drilling took me the best part of 2 hours with breaks as i was using a normal hand held power drill and my hands were aching quite a bit!

I finished quite late last night so the light wasn't good enough for a close up pic of the finished holes. Here you go:

[​IMG]

Looks like i was a bit out with the fan holes along the bottom :( Hopefully with countersunk bolts this will not be as noticable.
    I used this for countersinking the bolt holes by the way:

[​IMG]

I also forgot to add the window in the opposite side panel (door) was cut using a waterjet - the panels are 3-4mm thick and i didnt fancy tackling it with a dremel or jigsaw so sent it off to get professionally cut. They did a pretty smooth job and cut out the semi-transparent mirror plexi for a flush fit as well. Will post more pics of this in my next update.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2007
  8. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

DAMN, DAMN, and DOUBLE DAMN!!!!!! HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS GOOD! Submit it to ALL the modding contests you can dig up!!!

Brendan

9. Sandwich

Sandwich What's a Dremel?

Then apple being apple would prolly sue his pants off... then jack the design for themselves. and then steve jobs well do a press conference saying how great his designers are then proceed to grope himself.

10. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

That's a really cool way to drill your own mesh. Those grills looks stock, great job.

11. Predatator295

Predatator295 What's a Dremel?

Congratulations, I love this mod, and a lot of job have been made!!!!!

12. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Great job so far. It's not easy to mod a Apple G5 case and make it even look better. B.t.w. this reminds me of the Mr. Bean mod, but I hope you will finish it, Mr. Bean never seems to finish his mods :waah: I'll keep an eye on this worklog.

13. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Fantastic work on the holes, looks top notch. Amazing hand-work. I love the G5 case stock, and it's awesome to see someone improve upon it.

14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

looks good, 5* and subscribed :)

15. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

OMG! that's a serious amount of drilling!! :eeek: Good idea with the guide plate!

It's comming along nicely.. thought you had sacked the project there for a while, and I'm glad to see you back at it!! =D

Will continue to follow this log closely... keep it up! :thumb:

16. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

:thumb: Thanks again guys. Dont worry - i WILL finish this. I feel like that i have been living and dreaming this mod for so long now that any other conclusion is simply out of the question!

I work full time for the National Health Service in London and so the only time i have for modding is weekends and for those of you who live in a big city you know how much stuff there is to do on Sat/Sun so its a bit of a battle for time. :)

I have just received loads of bolts (countersunk and button head) and have also ordered some primer and matt black paint. Will update at the weekend... i promise. ;)

Cyp.

17. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Couldn't wait as they look so good! :)

Now that is what i call "Snug":

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Jul 2007
  18. Macros_the_Black

Good to hear! =) hehe, I hear ya.. I have this huge project that I'm still planning atm (came up with the idea about a year ago), and all I can think about is how I'm going to solve this and that problem, and so on and so forth. I really look forward to start buildning, but alas that's probably another 1-2 months of further planning away. <=)
    hehe, then you should be well aware of the downsides of consuming alcohol... heh, I not even sure what the NHS does..... aaanyway.. what I mean is, stay away from thoose beers and do some magic with them tools of yours instead! ;P
    Looking sweet!!

Btw, perhaps I didn't :read: properly, but are you going to paint any part of the case later on?

[edit] where did that extra word come from?? *deleted* [/edit]

19. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Yeah Macros, if you look at what i have done to the middle cage i am going to paint it matt black as i need to hide the epoxy. I needed to mod the rear quite a bit to make it PC compatible. I also had to change the front ports to PC compatible ones. :)

20. Macros_the_Black

Goodie! That's what I was thinking about (the epoxy). Will probably look real nice with brushed alu and matt black... can almost picture it.. mmm, liking it.. looking forward to seing it done! :thumb: