1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet, Bod! The mounting system for the engine pods are so simple, I never would have thought of that! :hehe: Really good work. And IMHO, the spot on the front panel looks perfectly fine; I wouldn't tweak things so much that it'd be sensory-overload when you turn the system on. Besides, it draws emphasis to the killer mini-tft's on the front anyways. I mean, how can you NOT notice them?

Keep it up, bro. :thumb:

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Ah check them out! They look brilliant bod, you must be pleased seeing it all come together yourself let alone from the comments we are coming up with.

I think this is the first log that I havent read any really negative comments on which is definitely saying something!

3. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Wow!

.... umm, yeah ... Wow!

4. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks a lot guys. You know, reading your comments is always an uplifting experience,
    but after the weekend I had, it is especially so. We had a really bad storm come through
    Friday morning that knocked out most of the city's power. It took almost three days for
    it to come back on for our house, which means I spent the majority of the days cleaning
    up the mess of downed branches and fences, and just hanging out at my Mom's cause she
    had power. As a consequence, I didn't get anything done on this case until tonight. :wallbash:

So here's what I got done. A small, but significant update, as this documents the
    ceremonial joining of the engine pods and side panels! :eek:

I first glued them down after roughing up the surface of the aluminum a bit.
    [​IMG]

After they set up, I applied copious amounts of bondo around them, filling in all the gaps.
    [​IMG]

Here is one side on the case, after adding the armor panels.
    [​IMG]

And a closeup shot showing how I had to fit the armor to the shape of the pods.
    [​IMG]

Not much, like I said. But significant none the less! I plan on getting the second armor layer
    done tomorrow, and then hopefully a good jump on the armor for the other side.

Thanks again for all your comments. They are always well received! :D

:cooldude:

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Sooo, you're saying you left this unguarded? :worried:

:nono: Don't do that again until after you install the defense systems :lol: :p (it seriously wouldn't surprise me if you did it either). This is looking Awesome - next year's case contest will be great :thumb:

6. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Yes Bod - Tyinsar's right - Don't Ever Leave This Case Undefended! The Cylons are everywhere, even your grandmom could be one, who knows! ;)
    I haven't written some comments until now because of having to replace my keyboard all the time because of my drooling over this mod! :jawdrop: But it's still a magnificent piece of work - totally sweet! I miss words big enough to describe what I think of this mod! :)

/Frido

7. Boddaker

More work done on the side panels!

Got the second layer of armor paneling down. Here's one of the sections penciled out.
    [​IMG]

..And a shot after gluing it down and removing the left overs.
    [​IMG]

After getting the side panels to a point where they look half way decent, I thought I would take a few shots
    of the whole case together. It's good for me to take a step back every so often and get an overall view of it
    as a computer case. I've been so close to it ever since I started, working on small sections by themselves,
    that I forgot how important that is. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Still got a long way to go, but it's real nice to see that the pieces actually fit together. lol!

:cooldude:

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

awesomeness

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

MMMM. Those last 4 pics...well worth the wait!

10. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I finally started watching BSG from the beginning the other day, and it is AWESOME. My respect for this case went from Incredibly Awesome to God-Like....it's so cool....fantastic work.

11. Boddaker

Thanks guys! :D

So I took a little break from the side panel detailing to work on the landing bay a bit more. I need to
    secure it down to the case somehow, so I came up with a simple frame that will bolt to the case,
    and the landing bay will bolt to that. Here's what I got so far:

Bent two pieces of aluminum flat bar.
    [​IMG]

Bent them so they follow the contour of the landing bay's ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Left enough length at the ends to extend down into the case at the sides.
    [​IMG]

Positioned them so they pick up existing holes in the case frame that are already countersunk.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the test fit, looking in from the back. If this case does any racing, I got SAE certified roll bars installed! lol
    [​IMG]

Once I get the roll bars fastened to the case, I can drill holes through the top of the landing bay,
    then conceal them with some stealthy armor panel covers.

---------------
    TEASER SHOT!
    ---------------

[​IMG]

This is a partial inventory as I dont have all the parts yet, but this will go inside the case once assembled.

:twisted:

12. mvagusta

The roll cage looks like part of the internal landing bay roof structure i reckon, it looks like it's meant to be there!
    Yay for the internal panelling :rock:

13. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehengeā„¢

I've lurked on the Bit-Tech forums since 2002 and have never found a reason to sign up till now. Been following the BSG mod since it was posted, and I gotta say out-f$@king-standing! This mod is the the one to drag me out of the shadows. Keep it up Boddaker! If I wasn't a modder myself I'd commission your work...hell, I may still do so! ;) :thumb:

Here's your 5 stars and a subscription Bro

Last edited: 22 Jan 2008
  14. Boddaker

Thanks man! I'm getting real excited about finishing this thing up.

Here's another teaser shot:

[​IMG]

This is all the pieces from the first teaser shot assembled. Still waiting on a couple more items.

:naughty:

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Cool! It reminds me of my dual-res setup in my current rig. I'm guessing that's what these are.

16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

You should be excited bod, this is really coming along, and at a good pace too, you've managed to keep everyone interested by doing a steady stream of releases, apart from when you modded a baby (not out of styro foam I assume?), you're doing a great job here and the amount of wow's you get is testiment to that.

Also, it's great that you get involved, you ask us for suggestions, not alot of other modders do that, they just do it the way they want, which there is nothing wrong with, but it almost makes this feel like a group effort...in a way.

17. Boddaker

Thanks, Mother Goose! I've been trying to keep up a good pace, but lately it seems things have been against me. Working extra hours at the office, kids with the flu, and now I'm feeling under the weather. :waah:
    I can't seem to get into the garage to do anything productive, and thus I have nothing new to show you. maybe what I can do is bring some panels into the house where its warm and work on them. Yeah! Why didn't I think of that before? :duh: I might have something to show you after all! Ok, lets see what I can accomplish.....

lol

18. Boddaker

Oh- no, its not a dual res... :confused:

19. mvagusta

Nuclear reactor chambers?

it wouldn't surprise me :D

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I bet! it's one of your best projects evar! Mod on Boddaker :hip:

Tags: