Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.
Nice work man.
Thanks a lot guys for the comments.
@ derbaum: not sure what you mean by "tensions", but the main piece is 1/4" thick and a lot harder than the styrene. It would take a lot more heat to deform that. I hope I answered your question.
@ Zyphron: I do want to add a bit of realism, so a few laser hits and burn marks will go on at the end. I might even add a torpedo hit somewhere.
Ok I'm a dumbass for not checking on this earlier, but I found (and ordered) these pre-cut styrene strips
in the exact size and shape I need. That will save me a bunch of cutting time. And they will be more uniform too.
I just hope the ones I already did don't look to imperfect in comparison.
ive never worked with that moldingstuff but with when workin with cfk iam afraid to heat it up punktualy. more or less slight deformations would result.
Small update. Basically got more of the same done. Almost got one side completed!
Anyway, here's a few more shots:
I can now see why you wished you'd put the detail in afterwards, but I have to say, this will probably look better in the end
Just a quick question (maybe I missed it if You did mention it) but is cutting the details out not easier than the ribs?
Good question, and in some areas yes, it is easier to griind away the detail parts, like when the pipes end at the ribs. But it looks cleaner when the ribs are cut away. Makes it a bit more realistic.
She doesn't look like much right now, with all the different colors. But once I get a uniform coat of gray metallic paint on it, it will look so much better!
Working on some of the outer armor plating now. I finished the ribbing on one side, so I want to see how it looks with it on. Will post pics later on.
Ok as promised- a Sunday night update actually posted on Sunday... with pics!
Well I finished one side of the ribbing, so I thought I would do one panel of the outer armor to see how it looks on there.
I am using a couple sheets of styrene, one .040 and one .010.
I took the sheet of .040 and cut out the shape, after making a paper pattern.
Then on the .010, I outlined the same shape and drew some squares, triangles, and other shapes according to
the reference pic.
I took an exacto knife to it, almost cutting each shape out, but leaving them attached for now. I matched it up
to the main piece and taped the ends together.
Now that I mated them up how I want them, I open it up and put a dab of glue under each panel.
Fold it back over and glue it down.
After a few minutes, I can pull off the leftovers, completing all the cuts along the way.
And voila! We have raised armor paneling! Much easier than cutting them out and pasting them on individually.
A shot of the panel in place on the landing bay. It's just taped on for now, because I will need to paint
underneath it before permanently gluing it down.
Now it is on to the other side of ribbing. It may be a while 'til my next post, because I won't be doing
anything different and exciting for some time. At least until I do the ends.
The armouring is going under the ribbing though right? (othersise...wouldn't that defeat the object of all the detail and effort you have put in the ribbing?
EDIT: Ignore that, I looked at your reference pic and all is clear, I never noticed that when watching bsg lol, 3 seasons and not a clue!
lol Yeah, here's a reference pic:
I purposely did not apply any detailing to the particular areas where there would be exterior armor. I could have cut the ribbing down as well, but then I would have to add some support pieces anyways.
yup that makes sense, I forgot the armour was only on the entry parts of the landing pods.
Everything going ok with this mod bod?
Looking good so far!
Looking good, I hope you're still working...
You do realise, though, that once it's complete, you won't be able to connect this PC to a network...?
Why is that?
Because in the show, they make a point of not having any of the ship's systems networked together to avoid Cylon hacking. Instead of using fancy shmancy communicators, they use telephones for everything and each system is independent.
Everything is at a stand still right now. I'm taking a "new baby break"! We had our second child two weeks ago, so I haven't had any time in the garage.
Here's a pic of the little princess, Helena Christina
Born 5/16/07 10:56am 7lbs 7oz 20"
Everyone is doing well, baby has almost gained her weight back, and big brother is happy to have someone to play with.
Regarding the networking, (LOL) yes on the show they use old-fashioned phones for communication. I might have to integrate one into the back, and secretly mod a wireless nic into it (shhh, dont tell the cylons!).
Congrats Brian! Beautiful Baby.
The project looks awesome too!
Separate names with a comma.