1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 or triple LG IPS231P cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 18 Jul 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Did you set your monitor to Adobe RGB or sRGB? If you are still using Standard and you are amazed now... you might get a seizure changing it. :lol:

If you use Adobe RGB, you might need to unload the monitor color profiles in Windows (Control Panel > Color Manager), and load back Windows default standard sRGB profile, if pictures looks strange or flat in your picture editor/viewer, and web browser.

Yes, Dell anti-glare coating is a little visible, as Dell is all for this "out door viewing", essentially what Dell wanted form this display, is that even if the sun hit your monitor directly... you can still see your screen. Also, it's light scratch resistance.. don't ask me how far it will go, I don't dare to try. But if it means preventing from getting scratched because you didn't use the softest cloth in the world to clean the screen, then good.

Now that coating is a little tricky to clean. I tried a variety of products (well 4 of them, including Monster Screen cleaner which I got for free) and all of them leaves streaks. If your cleaner does the same, the trick to clean that screen is a lint free micro fiber cloth, or a clean soft glass lens cleaner cloth, which you lightly damp (NOT WET.. even though my place of work got a water falling from the ceiling which fell on our Dell monitor, and they survived survived, it's not a reason to try..), and clean the screen gently. Perfect screen every time! I also recommend to have the monitor powered on for a while, so that the LCD is warm and be able to evaporate the water from the lightly damp cloth to dry instantly.

If your monitor beeps at every button, there is an option to disable that in the monitor menu, under advance.

Glad you love your new monitor and IPS goodness.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for the tips GoodBytes and yes it is standard at the moment!

Typing on my Dell D630 in full sunlight right now in the garden, nice not to be looking at my face whilst doing it! :D

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

omg, i just wet myself!

:rock:

i'll have to experience some 2560x1440 HW2 goodness now.

yes. put it in sRGB mode. it produces natural colours, standard produces saturated colours for me.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Install, then run the v1.1 Patch and finally get the German version of the exe file from gamecopyworld to ditch the CD requirement. Also do all this offline with any virus software turned off, Homeworld 2 installation is really funny when it comes to virus software! Also for high definition gaming you'll need to create a shortcut to the exe and then right click on this short cut select properties and finally put -w 2560 -h 1440 after the 'Target' script. Graphically it holds up extremely well by todays standards.

wyx087 likes this.
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Leaving the monitor to warm is a good tip, as is using a microfiber cloth :thumb:

For perfect LCD cleaning I use 1 part distilled water with 1 part vinegar - it's a powerful solution and gets rid of really stubborn stains/marks without leaving any streaks at all... and best of all, it's really cheap.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I did read about this tip, just need to find me some White Distilled Vinegar! Got a nice bottle to create a fine mist of the mixture lined up.

Also sRGB pops! :jawdrop:

7. GoodBytes

Yes, but for a fancy monitor you try not touch you screen with fingers filled with condiment, food grease, or Cheetos chips :)

8. GoodBytes

HAHA! Now you are cursed... after a few months, you'll be so used to it, you can't work with a TN panel for a long period of time. MWHAHHAHAHAHA my plans are complete! :p

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Tell me about it!

Actually it started with using an SSD, sooooooo frustrating using a computer with a regular HDD after. Now you've indoctrinated me into quality monitors :D

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I got my distilled vinegar from Tesco for 50p :D

11. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

Getting tempted by the U2711, not sure if it's worth the upgrade over the 2707wfp though. The extra resolution would be a nice boost.

12. wyx087

thanks Blogins for HW2 instructions. i'll have to find the disk...... wish Steam would have it some day.....

it's a very hard shell that AG coating. i just use any odd tissue i can find and rub it. can't think how it can be scratched.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You want to be careful - once it's scratched, that's it for life!

14. GoodBytes

Yup, there is no undo for scratches

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Certainly deserves it! Unfortunately the license for that particular game is in oblivion since Sierra (Publisher) was gobbled up by Vivendi and now confusion is strife over who owns the game, so no digital release as of yet :duh:

16. wyx087

it's only tissue, not like im going about with a key. most i've done is to get rid of some stains using nails, then use a damp tissue to wipe away the markers.

same goes for my iphone/ipad: rub it on a piece of cloth to get it clean.

honestly don't see the point of special cloth, when 0.5p tissue can do the job.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The point of using microfiber cloth is to eliminate the risk of damaging your screen - tissue paper is advised against because it might damage your screen, so it's basically a use-at-your-own-risk solution.

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Tissue does lots of damage, it's a very scratchy material on a fine level. Just try cleaning glass with tissue and over time you'll notice small scratches eating in to the glaze. Also a big no no using tissue on any form of paintwork!

LennyRhys likes this.
  19. GoodBytes

Yup, and the screen is plastic... so you can imagine how easier it is to get scratch.
    That is why when you have a runny nose, your nose turns red. It's not because you are sick, but because the skin is damaged by the paper tissue.

Also tissue can still have small but to big pieces of wood fibers. If you fall on one by bad luck, it's like if you ran needle on your screen.

20. wyx087