1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 or triple LG IPS231P cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 18 Jul 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

How did I fail in my google-fu?!

I was looking at the home use section.... :(

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

:rock::rock::rock:

seriously. get a single monitor, it just works. zero fiddling about.

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

U2711 Cheesecake

4. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Trust me single monitor gaming is the way forward! Earlier this year I blew loads of cash investing in three ACER GD245 HQ monitors to run Nvidia 3d surround with my SLI GTX 480's. Once I got bored of the 3d effect I realised that trying to run a resoluction of 6160x1080 in 2d mode was way too much for my 480'd let alone running it in 3d mode. This resulted in me having to reduce effects etc to get a smooth frame rate.

Because of the heat that the 480's were producing I decided to spend more cash and change to cooler running 580's, these were an improvement but still I couldnt run the high resolution smoothly to enjoy FPS's etc! At this point I was getting sick of the extra temperature that the SLI 580's kicked out so decided to sell two of the screens, and buy the Dell U2711 screen and to be honest it is the best thing I have ever purchased as the resolution and colour clarity is amazing!!

Better still I am able to run this screen on a single Gtx 580 and get great frame rates and no micro stutter etc whilst maintaining a good temperature and fan speed.

Trust me on this eyefinity/nv surround looks good but all the extra horsepower needed to power the peripheral screens isnt worth it as the images are stretched and not worth focusing on!

If you have the cash burning a hole go ahead and get three screens but trust me you will consitantly be moving the screens to reduce the width of the borders etc and then when you get a game that only supports 1920x1080 and not 5760x1080 you will not be happy (yes looking at you black ops!!)

Hope this helps! U2711 all the way!

Oh and one more thing take no notice of the lag that people say the U2711 has! I cant see it and I play a lot of FPS's and racing games etc.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for the advice guys, you helped allay some of my fears DIZZY!

Probably get Dell to give me a call see if I can get that price down some more tomorrow! :D

6. longweight

So Blogins can anyone buy from dell small business even if it is for personal use?

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Yes you can, if they ask for a business name or whatever, just make it up, but i doubt they will, purchased my mum's dell vostro laptop from them over the phone a couple of months ago, they didn't even ask for a business name and I saved about £200 :)

longweight likes this.
  8. longweight

Ganngstaaaaa

Thanks Batman.

9. thetrashcanman

No problem, errr...Dick Grayson? :D

10. longweight

Had to Google that one!

I would like to think of myself as a Doctor Manhattan....

11. thetrashcanman

haha, well that's much better Robin, eerr I mean Nightwing, good choice! Batman never really liked having a sidekick anyway :)

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes you can order from Dell Small Business for your personal used, no problem.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

They did ask if I wanted to use my business name at which point I stressed I'm 'freelance' so have none as such; they had no problem accepting this! Be negotiating again this afternoon, I'll keep you posted.

14. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Just to add my two cents because I did not spot a mention, but 3 monitors requires at least 2 Nvidia cards in SLI, only an Eyefinity AMD card will be able to output to 3+ monitors with a single card. One to consider, no?

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i wonder if Dell call centres asked for reference for a single-purchase small business item, how many people would say "GoodBytes". :lol:

16. GoodBytes

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So the new U2412 is only going to be a 6bit panel with WLED....Think I will go and order my self a U3011 now.

18. GoodBytes

And basic inputs... Display Port, DVI and VGA.. not even 1x HDMI, plastic stand, normal visible buttons, late 90's deisgn (like all new Dell products). And for those who cares, no media card reader.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

And I bet they will sell the U2412M for the same price as the U2411...

I'm hoping the 'M' is for mainstream, and that they may bring out a 'E' Extreme version which will take over the U2411..(Wishful thinking):rolleyes:

20. GoodBytes

That will happen when no one buys Dell products anymore... Dell is always like this... you need to buy your computer related need at the right moment with them.

As I quick example, when no one, including myself didn't want a Dell system, this is where Dell came out with this kick-ass, "puts to shame Apple MacBook Pro", laptop called the Latitude E, and all their new laptops were much higher quality, including the Inspiron series, which the worse you'll get from them from a hard fall, is a minor plastic crack, no weakness visible, not even on the hinges shows sign of problems, even after 3 years. And then of course, the ****-in your pant Dell U series monitors.

Now Dell, is falling.. they are going to produce crap for the next 3-6 years, before no one buys their products, and start making quality and exiting products.

To be honest, Dell sells millions of monitors every year... I am sure they could have pushed LG to still produce the the U2410 panel (8-bit), they could remove component and composite... and add, Display Port 1.2, with daisy chaining support, coupled with other monitors with it, it would push Nvidia and AMD to support it, and that would cool product. Even if they drop the 10-bit LUT table down to an 8-bit one, with a 8-bit internal color processor instead of a 12. And sell it for 500$, would be a good buy (assuming they don't drop the pre-calibration, metal stand, 1:1 pixel mapping, and side-by-side pictrue-in-picture, and provide a better or the same look at the current U2410)