1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Akava, 16 Jul 2010.

1. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I think your being a bit unfair. Yes Deus Ex is a legendary game with much renown and a big fan base. However if your making promotional material it has to be aimed at a wide audience. If you never played the original then the whole idea of multiple paths being its big selling point would be a bust.

Also its a tutorial level, admittedly the originals tutorial on liberty island was bigger, you just spent half the time just running to get to places.

2. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

1) Deus Ex had that
    2) Deus Ex had that, and conveniently placed crates, and how civilians would have GEP gun ammo and lams in their lockers.
    3) Deus Ex had most of the lower screen taken up.
    4) Deus Ex had that, but maybe we just hadn't heard enough of it by then.
    5) 'where did he go?...He look like some kinda mech' Not ringing any bells?
    6) Deus Ex had more tnt crates lying around than a quarry. And barrels full of toxic gasses that would linger in some kind of menacing cloud.
    7) Better than standing next to the enemy's in Deus Ex but it being slightly more in shadow so they cant see you.
    8) ...:( i liked it...
    9) That was an upgrade in the original.

So really...yea...looks like an authentic sequel.

3. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Consolified this, dumbed down that, some people are never pleased.

You know what, if sequels to games you love and clearly look back on with rose tinted glasses aren't up to your god damn high ****ing standards don't play them, it's that easy! Better that than to spoil your precious sensibilities :)

GravitySmacked likes this.
  4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

:hehe: Nicely put. This is a really important point.
    If we're going to criticise the game it needs to be for the right reasons, not just for the sake of it.

Congratulations on missing the point entirely. But hey, if you want to be entirely passive about your hobbies and let their quality plummet like **** off a shovel then by all means continue being ignorant; but some people care enough about their hobby to voice their opinions.
    The PC games industry has taken a serious turn for the worse in the eyes of many who actually care about the quality of their games and who demand more than a new CoD year-after-year.

The reason for this turn is the ignorance and passiveness of the majority of consumers who simply don't demand better from the games they buy and who happily lap up mediocre games that have been dumbed-down for the lowest common denominator.
    What reason do developers and publishers have to improve games if they know they can just churn out any tired old **** tailored for morons and we'll lap it up?

Maybe ranting on forums about frustrating changes to games that sap away their potential is impotent and fruitless, but it's better than being an opinionless, passive sheep about it; so honestly I think your useless advice is better kept to yourself if other people having high standards irritates you so much.

5. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Congratulations on missing the point entirely.

Demanding better from the games you buy is best served with your wallet, not the usual badly constructed forum ranting we see; even then I think you would have to be pretty moronic to realise that gaming is big business theses days and there are not many developers who actually care about our concerns when they can do a good enough job and still sell millions of copies.

You even said it yourself, "If we're going to criticise the game it needs to be for the right reasons, not just for the sake of it." Well I don't see much of that going on these days, the same people who piss and moan are the same people who then buy said game they've pissed and moaned about only to do what? That's right, piss and moan some more.

If they truly cared for their hobby and worried about the state of PC gaming they wouldn't bother buying it in the first place, but of course that is too much of a struggle. Maybe you should keep your "high standards" to yourself and reminisce about the glory days some more because you certainly live up to your user title

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wow - calm down, calm down!

Firstly, the only serious vote is with your wallet - publishers will take note if the sales are bad.

Secondly, what are forums for if it's not for a good old rant. Sometimes its the only place you can vent!

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Where did I ever say that voting with your wallet is not the solution?
    The only problem with wallet-voting as I see it is that it's almost a binary decision.
    You either buy the game and give them the price they demand, or you don't. But what if you like some of what a game does, but are really disappointed with other aspects?

The closest we can get to "pay what you think the game deserves" in answer to that is waiting for things to go on sale at a lower price later on; which likely just reads as "Steam sales let us scrape money out of a game after its initial release" to the publishers, not "X number of customers thought the game was only deserving of a $20 pricetag due to issues widely criticised in reviews and online opinions."; and the customer still loses out by having to wait longer to get to play it in the first place.

All of this is then on top of the lack of demos these days to give us a fair chance at making up our own minds on whether a game is worth our money or not.
    Voting with our wallet will always be the primary means we have to voice our opinions to publishers of the games they release, but it is not and should not be the only means we have.
    Voicing our opinions online in reviews, blogs and forum posts is our next best chance at influencing the direction and quality of the games released, because it's the closest we can get to speaking to the developers and publishers with arguments and reasoning more complex than "buy/not-buy".

What other choice does anyone have in this situation? Do you suggest that people who find themselves disappointed with a purchase should keep their opinion to themselves instead of venting their frustrations and displeasure?
    Brick & Mortar retailers regularly refuse to accept returns of PC games; and especially not for the reason of "I thought it was a shitty sequel to a great game that pissed all over the legacy of its forebearer or "I was expecting something deep and engaging from the promotional material but it turned out to be a shallow mess."
    And just try returning a game for refund on a service like Steam for a reason of taste or opinion.

People who genuinely feel Human Revolution looks terrible should speak with their wallet and not buy it; but what about someone who thinks the game has great potential but thinks that the potential won't be realised because of some needless changes to the previous game's formula or stupid features that the fanbase doesn't want to see?
    All they can do is vent their opinions in the hopes that others will agree and that a wave of discontent will get back to the publishers and developers before the game goes gold.

Well done, you fell for the in-joke.
    I consider myself an elitist not because I think myself better than other gamers or that my opinion is more worthwhile; but because I demand more from the games I buy and I approach my purchasing decisions with elitism instead of wasting my money on whatever crap the publishers throw out these days.

If you have such a problem with people pissing and moaning about topics that they feel strongly about that you need to tell people to shutup and speak only with their wallet then maybe discussion forums aren't for you.

8. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

You are finding issues from my posts that just aren't there. Surely you can tell that my post isn't specifically directed at you, you are just trying to play the one up game of which I have no desire.

There's a big difference between constructive criticism and pissing and moaning for the sake of it. Do you understand this? You seem to just bypass that.

You should also be annoyed at the most of the tripe that is spewed out on forums, because if it wasn't for that rambling honest and sensible posts and feedback would no doubt have a bigger impact.

Get a grip, it's quite ironic that in-joke isn't it?

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Of course I can tell that; but my entire point is that it isn't as much of a binary issue as you made it out to be when you told people to stop complaining and just vote with their wallet.

Yeah, I do actually - It was kinda the whole point of what I was saying about elitism, but I figured I didn't need to actually specify that the complaints should be constructive.
    For someone complaining about attempts at oneupmanship in this discussion you're awfully eager to try it yourself and attack my understanding of the issues involved.

The complaints listed in this thread have been tame compared to some of the crap being spewed on the official DXHR forums by people wearing rose-tinted glasses. The whole thing works both ways; but I don't feel the posts in this thread have really been as knee-jerk as they could have been, nor do I feel they warrant your original caustic attitude towards the concerns people have raised.

That's the point. :)

10. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Maybe you are correct, I just didn't understand why you were having a go at me.

Like I said my comments weren't directed at anyone with a valid complaint posted in a constructive manner, but one or two do look like they've been cut and pasted from the **** on the Steamforums. Also it wasn't really just about this game, it seems it is the same story for any new game

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Looks like a pretty good game - dosn't look like it'll be anywhere near as nice as Deus Ex.

It boils down to making a game that's appealing to as many people as possible. Generally speaking most people will play games on easiest difficulty and like to win without ever dying, etc etc.

Hardend gamers appriciate the challenge and success of overcoming said challenge and like obvious routes to be hidden, things not to glow, and for a gamer to be difficult. Sadly we are in the minority these days.

12. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Ugh, you had to drag this thread down to that level, didn't you? We don't go to steamforums.. :p

I think that's because a lot of people are feeling embittered and powerless about the state of gaming these days. Even when they do vote with their wallets it seems as though they just miss out on games instead of making any tangible difference to things; and another Call of Duty gets released and game budgets get bigger and the downwards slide continues..
    Most of the whining is waffle, for sure; but I think it's a symptom of the circumstances we find ourselves in these days. It's understandable, even if it's tiresome.

Yeah, I think this is the truth. The thing is; I don't think there's any less of 'us' now than there was in the past; just that we're outnumbered in the market by the new generation of (primarily console-oriented) gamers whose platforms have reached a point where they overlap with PCs when they didn't so much in the past.
    Publishers are taking advantage of that overlap to create games that are made for the lowest common deminator and the whole market is suffering for it with reduced variety the more the platforms coincide.

I think none of this would matter and there would be a lot less bitterness and resentment from PC gamers if our platform could be left to itself, but multi-platform is king these days purely for monetary reasons; and games that would have been 'ours' and designed in the PC gaming mould years ago are being co-opted into the multi-platform development process these days.
    But then maybe that's misguided thinking and maybe PC games would have headed in the same direction anyway even if there had been less of an overlap.

It's all about money; and there's too much of that in the industry these days. Let's just hope DXHR doesn't suffer too much for it. :p

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  13. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Just saw the latest trailer and the textures seem very low res. the animations seem pretty stiff and the gunplay a little "flat" but at least the game design is there along with the gameplay options. Probably the console version because of the slow turn speeds.

Here:

14. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Never pleased? Read the Arma 2 thread before you act like a *****.

15. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

How about no?

16. sausages

Fine be a <unt for no reason.

Here is a post I made about it just last week:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2619014&postcount=104

Weird for someone to make posts like that eh, when they are someone who is never satisfied by anything, has god damn high ****ing standards, and precious sensibilities.

Ok:

1) No it didn't... It had thin discreet box corners around usable objects that only appeared when you got right up close to things, in other words, you had to actually FIND things for yourself first. Also it looked more like it was a digital enhancement in the guys eyes or something, Robocop style, rather than a big yellow glowing console moron hand holding highlight.

2) No it didn't, gear was limited enough that you had to be careful about blasting through your ammo, and you had to actually search inside crates and bins and corpses for ammo. It wasn't just sitting conveniently on top of boxes next to bad guys.

3) Deus Ex is eleven years old and came from a time when having that amount of complexity in a FPS was extremely rare. UI's have got better and better over the years, so having it look like that in a game from this year is just inexcusable.

4) It wasn't lame though, it was done well, it wasn't campy, and again, it was done eleven years ago when it was less of a cliche.

5) That was done by enemies that you were already fighting with, mostly to add flavour and help the player feel more cyborgish, not by guys attacking from miles away who could have easily surprised the player if they didn't say anything.

6) They weren't as obvious or conveniently placed, and they weren't as commonly used as you make out, and no doubt in this game they will be everywhere and far too powerful.

7) It was meant to be dark, turn your gamma or brightness down or something. They were only doing what was already successful and fun in Thief from a couple of years earlier. It took some skill and some planning and some awareness of your surroundings. Now days you can practically just press a button wherever you are and the character will leap up to the nearest convenient crate for your auto-hiding pleasure.

8) Surprise

9) It's not even close to being like that, and not everyone even got it. I spent half my time sipping from water fountains and rummaging through bins for cans of cola and stuff.

You just don't seem to appreciate the difference between games that pushed you, and games that go out of their way to make things easier for you.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  17. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I can't wait for reviews of this game to come out, there's gonna be so much bitchslapping on this forum *grabs popcorn*

18. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

No need to be so rude.

And you would know this because you've played DEHR?

19. sausages

Yes there is!
    It's an educated guess. Based on the gigantic list of games that started out great, and got worse and worse and dumber and dumber over the years.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Just noticed that DXHR is not being ported in-house to PC by Eidos montreal; the port is being done by Nixxes:
    http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/projects

Judging by the ports they did on the Legacy of Kain games (the only ones I've played from that project list); we can expect the game to run well but without many configuration options and with a big ugly "Press Start to Begin" on the main menu.

Now.. maybe the PC port will be better than that, and Nixxes' site writes enthusiastically about bringing PC gamers the best experience for their platform of choice; but that could be just PR-talk too.
    We'll just have to wait and see.

On this note.. Could we please have a PC review of this by bit-tech instead of a console review? Please?..

Nah, there isn't actually; not even if you're just trying to be funny about it.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011