1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This is is formerly a bedroom. South wing, this one.

I did ideally want the cinema on the ground floor, but this made a lot more sense as it was really the ideal size of room with a handy dandy AV cupboard adjoining as an added bonus.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thinking this is the right thread to break this news:

[​IMG]

Weell.....idea's the same, but it looks a bit more like this.

Can't see me pulling it from the box every time I want to hang a small shelf though.

Goatee, Yaka, spolsh and 1 other person like this.
  3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

I'm currently building a giant kitchen cabinet, which will give us a decent chunk more storage.

[​IMG]

Best of all, the offcuts have allowed me to make some much needed shelving for the garage, previously all those boxes of screws etc. were just littering up the work surfaces and generally getting in the way. Also note the repurposed wine rack, I had to chop two layers off for it to fit in the bottom of the cabinet alongside the water softener salt :hehe:

Vault-Tec and Yaka like this.
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

man i am so jealous of you guys,i would kill to have my own workshop, i gotta make do with a dinky storeroom and and sharedback yard

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm working outside on a sawhorse topped with a small piece of marine ply. No good for butchering.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Can anyone recommend a not too pricey pocket hole jig or are they all a much of a muchness?

ElThomsono likes this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

This reminds me of the opening bit from Event Horizon.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

trend or kreg i have both both are good the kreg one is good for working on the go and fits inside my makita drill and driver case, the trend one i have is fitted on to my workmate bench. got both on amazon warehouse listed as used or damaged packaging so cheaper than msrp

d_stilgar and ElThomsono like this.
  9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Links please?

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Following with interest :happy:

I've been leaning towards this one but having never used one before I'm not sure about screw sizes etc.

Pretty soon I'll be starting a project that really needs one so I'll have to bite the bullet but hopefully someone can give a few tips without me having to do hours of research!

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That's the one my daughter's boyfriend has and he says it's good but it can move a little while using it, I was thinking of one with a built in clamp I think.

12. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I got this one last year, it's pretty much what you'd expect for the price; not great but it goes the job. I've used it on a couple of wood projects in the year that I've had it and it's certainly helped me make pocket holes, sometimes messy and always need sanding. Build quality wise I'll probably need a new one next year if I keep using it at the rate of two projects a year :winking:.

13. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I have this one with the kreg clamp that fits in the circular clamp slot on the jig. I like pocket holes well enough. They get the job done for non-critical assemblies and they're faster and easier than other methods. I think they have an undeserved bad reputation.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

stilgart posted about the kreg and the trend one is this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-PH-J...y&sprefix=trend+pocket+hole+jig,diy,81&sr=1-5

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thank you.

Lovely looking bit of kit but the price OUCH!!! Bit out of my occasional DIY price range I think.

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

like i said it was via amazon warehouse and both were returned/used ones both came in a plastic bag rather than orignal packaging so were cheaper

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Got a surprise in the post the other day, Ian sent me little pots of wood oil to treat the chopping boards with! What a gent.

There's something about dealing with private individuals for products and services that just feels wholesome af. I'm so glad self-employment and cottage industries are taking off a bit.

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, DIY nerds <3

IamJudd, Yaka, CrapBag and 4 others like this.
  19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

This weekend I'm refurbing an old vice, it's all primed but I don't have paint for it yet, I'm planning to get a tin of proper roundel blue. Cleaning that bar up was effortless on the bench grinder wire wheel, and it's quite therapeutic to just give something a good clean and a lick of paint.

Yaka, CrapBag and legoman like this.
  20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

I think a full gloss might have been a bit much bit it will weather in in no time.

Yaka, IanW, Arboreal and 1 other person like this.