1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My own experiences with gas operated airsoft would support the comment about gas powered nail guns. In winter they just become useless.

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Mate - that's fantastic info and very much appreciated :thumb:. I'll start some price research!

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Couple of questions.

Think I'm aiming to make some improvements to the garage, focusing on the floor and back door at the moment.
    The floor isn't that flat as you can see from the pictures, so I'm thinking some kind of levelling compound is needed, the main use will be as a home gym. Also should I aim to 'fill' gaps around the base of the walls with something?

The other being the back door, which has a) seen better days, and b) is currently locked using a rake and a zip tie, so looking to improve that somewhat....
    Ideally looking for something with some glass to get some light in the garage, can I simply replace the door or would I have to replace the whole frame etc as well, and is that the kind of job that requires powered tools?

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

A door with glass in is going to be a wee bit heavier than what's there now, Obvs I can't tell from photo's but that frame look shot, if it was mine I'd not trust it.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know this is a DIY thread and that's very much not the spirit... but I'd ring your local cheap glazing/PVC co and get them to put a proper door in.

I had a door added to our single-brick garage, they did it in an afternoon (with a big petrol saw for the brickwork) and the total cost was about £450 including steel lintel etc. It's a proper door, with locking lugs into the frame etc so nice and secure, and not draughty.

Otherwise fill the gaps between frame and wall with caulking, preferably with new frame if budget allows. Wooden ones are quite easy to fit DIY if you've got the patience, I've done it before and it wasn't too testing as long as the size was vaguely right and you have an electric plane for the door.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Would be my suggestion too, speak to some local glazers cost me a bit more than Krikkit as I had a double window lobbed in but yeah few hours work an its far stronger than a wooden door. Also, its cheaper to get plain glass and then add a film to it like I did.

7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If its a relatively standard size you can buy a UPVC door and frame direct from the builders merchants (or the likes of Wickes / B&Q).

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Tamar-Pre-hung-Upvc-Back-Door-2085-x-840mm-Right-Hung/p/205903 - £330

1. Remove existing door and frame
    2. Fit new door to opening, shim to get square
    3. Attached to walls with screws into brickwork
    4. Expanding foam and trim with UPVC.
    Half days work for a competent DIY'er with a mate to help.

Edit: I love this channel for DIY stuff, watch this from about 9 mins on for fitting a wooden framed door if you decide to go that way. (watch the full thing for some more DIY Pron on cutting the door frame out of blockwork.)

8. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I mean I don't know anything about it but that was my first reaction, that ideally the whole thing would ideally be replaced.

Haha well that was actually my first thought, since it felt a little more serious than a bit of painting. Not really that fussed style wise, just wanting something with some amount of glass just to let some light in as the garage doesn't have any windows, so would be nice to get some natural light without having to had a door open type thing.

Yeah that's the kind of thing I was thinking potentially. But not actually sure I'd save any more just in terms of stuff I'd need, let alone the cost of my time/sanity trying to do it :D

Long(er) term I also want to replace the main garage door as it's a basic 'up and over' steel door, not insulation, gap all the way along the top when closed, limits use of the space near the door etc, and again I was leaning towards getting someone to do it for similar reasons

9. Krikkit

Garage door was on my list, although the Mrs has just dislocated her shoulder so my helper is now very much out of action!

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

If'n you're taking an up n over door off yourself be bloody careful and watch a metric poop load of video's first, them springs are no joke

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Interesting!

And scary. And not something I'd ever thought of...I may have to look this up now. You may be the first to have instilled a fear of garage doors into me.
    A complex mirror system worked for the Egyptians, although I have no idea what the "dimming off" rate of light via mirrors is. None?

Dare you!

In seriousness (or as much as bit forums allow), we had a back door replaced for about £300 (I think...don't hold me to it) and the guys were here for most of the morning. I'd have to go with Krikkit - let the men do their work. My Mum reckons you can save time or money, but not both. And she's been pretty spot-on with that.

12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

For self leveling compound on the floor try and make sure you fill potential sinkholes first otherwise the leveling compound will disappear in the void

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Pish and nonsense, they're not going to jump you in the dark and steal your lunch money.
    They're nothing to be afraid of, but like chainsaws etc. due a healthy respect.

My post was more a case of 'be aware' of the potential hazard as 99 / 100 would never give it a thought.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It cost me about £800 to put in an electric roller door, it was a boon to me as the garage ceiling is very low and the likes of an up and over would reduce that even further. I managed to install it myself without needing to resort to comedically unsafe working practices. It runs in channels and is fully insulated which helps as I try to keep the garage warm and dry.

15. GeorgeStorm

Haha well since I'm needing/wanting a new door from a security/ease of use angle anyway, may as well let it also solve the no natural light problem :D

Yeah, I'm not opposed to spending money on stuff, since I tend to agree, and have started putting a higher value on my own time/effort etc. Going to try and contact some local companies and see what's what.

When I picture a sinkhole I imagine a car falling down a hole formed in a road, guessing you don't mean something quite that big? :D
    It's ok at the moment, just the squat rack isn't quite level and when deadlifting the bar has a habit of rolling more than I'd like, hence why it's something I'm wanting to do but isn't critical.

Not fussed about manual vs electric etc but yeah, the up and over limits what I can put near the door, and I think a roller would let me put some shelving much closer and make better use of the space available.

Edit:
    Are those prices based on them fitting a door you've got yourself, or including the door etc?
    Just since contacted two places and been quoted 1150/750 for a basic upvc door fitted which is obviously a little more than the numbers thrown around in this thread :D

Last edited: 19 Oct 2021
  16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Like anything really - CRTs/mains/car suspension - don't just dive in! Healthy respect is exactly how I'd put it.

Byron C likes this.
  17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I had visions of a spring pinging wildly off once released and gouging eyes like in all great You've Been Framed submissions. But then, I do have a wild imagination when I have no clue about something (which is most things, in fairness). I think my version is more exciting though :naughty:

I checked with the missus and she pointed out that I am in fact confusing things. The £300ish was for separate glazing work (done at the same time, which is my excuse), but she reckons the door was ~£500 supplied and fitted. Can't find the receipt to hand though. I do know trade prices have gone up since the pandemic in our area, wonder if you're seeing similar to that.

18. Krikkit

I've seen an up-and-over door spring escape before now (on a rented house so thankfully I didn't have to fix it!), respect is due there.

Much less scary than using those widow-maker spring compressors on a coil strut mind.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I sit and wait for the phone call every time my FiL borrows mine :worried:

20. Krikkit

I sacked them off for a less suicidal version years ago - only cost about 80 quid and I've used it loads as it's so easy.