1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Nexxo his second in command was going to be in charge but he lost a vote on it, so yeah he would of had control of our negotiations. The man needs to go asap.

I will never get to pension age won't exist by the time I am 60. If you don't have a private pension a lifetime of work awaits.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Think you need to reconsider your use of the word "guarantee" there... iirc Nexxo is at least twenty years from SPA so there's a non-zero probability that the State Pension will no longer be around by the time Nexxo becomes eligible for it :D

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But when democracy is subverted by misleading information and near outright lies is it really democracy? I think the saying is a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite for democracy but when that information's not reliable in effect you've not got democracy.

When politicians from both sides can say things like "We send £350 million per week to the EU, let's fund out NHS instead." and "Families would be £4300 worse off." without any repercussions they're intentionally attempting to misinform the electorate, something that in essence destroys the democratic process and in effect makes the decisions arrived at invalid.

I'm no fan of Junker but i don't think he's bullying smaller nations, he's doing not only what he swore an oath to do but what any reasonable person in his situation would do, the oath he swore says he'd act in the general interest of the Union and arguably by playing hardball with the Swiss and UK that's just what he's doing, he's attempting to prevent further breakup/breakaways, he's also doing what anyone in a superior position in terms of negotiating would do, sticking to his guns.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

State Pension Age is already 68 for someone who's currently 30, and it's only going to go up over time. Makes your "60" look a bit optimistic :D

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed. It is accepted knowledge that a democracy cannot function without a free press. Do we have one in the UK? I think not.

Meanwhile Theresa May reveals her strategy:

• France will be warned that it would be against its interests to attempt to move the border from Calais to Dover, a move that threatens to increase the number of desperate migrants trying to cross the Channel.
    • A May government would keep David Cameron’s goal of slashing immigration in the long term to “tens of thousands”, a level she said was “sustainable”.
    • Talks to defend passporting rights allowing the City of London to trade freely in the EU would be a priority in Brexit negotiations.
    • Boris Johnson and Michael Gove might both serve in a unity Cabinet. She said: “I think it is hugely important as a party that we come together ... We are not Leavers or Remainers now, we are Conservatives in Government with a job to do.”

I wonder how she is going to sell the Touquet agreement to France as beneficial to them?

I think we can ignore point 2 as the usual propaganda. "Long term". Yah.

I wonder how she is going to get point three without free movement. I read an argument for Passporting to be preserved on a legal sui generis principle, but I can't see how the EU would go along with it. Access to the common market is not mentioned anymore... well, she could always follow the Swiss example... of a second referendum.

I think that the olive branch to BoJo and Gove is stratetic; she may put them in charge of some doomed-to-fail Brexit objective and watch them burn while she disavows responsibility.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2016
  6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

DEMOCRACY ?!?!

Stop throwing the word around like it actually means anything.

The NEXT democratic LIE is America voting between Clinton and Trump ...

DEMOCRACY ?!?!

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Leaving the EU means giving up the main platform to yell at the french if they start emptying the ghetto at Calais into boats.

Even without a single migrant from the EU she would miss that target.

So she wants to give London preferential treatment over the rest of the UK (and with it further accelerate the divide into a two class society).

8. Nexxo

Yup. It's the Conservatives, remember? :p

Meanwhile Farage does not rule out EU contributions for access to the common market.

A history of Article 50... drafted by a British EU ambassador.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

May vs Leadsom

first female UK PM since thatcher

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

And my theory that we're repeating the 1980s, badly, still for the most part, holds true...

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Looks like the triggering of Article 50 may not need a commons vote after all..

12. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Not to throw meths on the bbq. This is under the assumption the years you have been here as an eu citizen count towards the residency period. None of that appears certain right now right as we really don't know what the goal posts are going to be.

13. Nexxo

Well, the 5-year residency rule applies to non-EU as well as EU immigrants; it is just that in the latter case ILR was de facto and needed not to be applied for. But that's why I am applying now, while EU rules still apply.

It seems unlikely that the EU would boot out UK immigrants --they are talking about offering dual citizenship, if anything.

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

This has fast turned into a clusterf**k,

How much of a Canadian do I need to be to emigrate.

15. Nexxo

But it would still require parliament to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act.

Meanwhile At a separate hearing of the Treasury select committee, constitutional lawyers reported that the French government legal service has informed the French government that the UK would be entitled to rescind a notice to withdraw even though it had invoked article 50. This would mean that even if it was triggered, the UK could reverse a decision to withdraw, if either parliament or a second referendum endorsed the step --or negotiations don't go their way at all.

Also:

Denial. Not a river in Egypt.

Yay democracy!

Are we feeling sovereign yet?

Welcome to Hotel California. :p

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nah just repeal European communities act , and sod the rest. visa`s for everyone and WTO trade tariffs.

simples

17. Nexxo

Makes you wonder why the government has not done it yet.

[​IMG]

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

because they are all namby pamby babies who are scarred of jumping and lack

[​IMG]

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

would be funny if by leaving the EU the French border is moved here? or there is some issue which means tens of thousands of more migrants, refugees, make there way to dover and we end up having a massive shanty town.

That would not go down well with the British public, there would be an adverse affect as strong as any possible if that happened, I have no idea what would happen but some thing would.

France needs to keep that border that those migrants which I cant even understand how they got that far or why they are allowed to the coast line of the channel?

20. Nexxo

Actually it's more to do with breaking legal agreements, not settling international financial accounts with the EU and thus rendering the British Pound as valuable as the Zimbabwean dollar.

Remember children: the world will not invest in a renegade economy. :nono: Britain has to be seen to play this by the rules.

You are referring to the Touquet agreement, and I think you'll find it is the English border that is 'hosted' in France. France is already talking about dissolving that agreement, which means the Jungle will move over to Dover, where it technically belongs. Theresa May is making it part of her negotiation objectives for France to keep it. Good luck with that.

Then again, she also thinks she can keep London's passporting rights without free movement. :p