1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Everything About Monitors - Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 19 Oct 2011.

1. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

hello, is a monitor with a glass front better?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What do you mean? Do you mean those that are glossy? Or you are thinking of the All-in one computers, that has a glass in front of the LCD panel?

3. xxxsonic1971

Hello, I was looking at this monitor and the description says it has a glass front instead of coated, ebay item number-140729147562 and also it says ati 5850 is not compatible but 5830 is ok, i though they were same chip?? i thought any gpu would work any display???
    many thanks.

4. GoodBytes

You mean this monitor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140729147562

Yea.. how about you not buy monitor that uses a piss poor circuitry design. A monitor is expected to work with any graphic card old and new. Well ok, maybe not with your 386 computer, due to a lack of video memory and processing power, let alone be able to reach 60Hz. But that you know what I mean.

And the company name keeps changing. Some don't have a logo on the monitor pictured, the title says: "ACHIEVA", and other pictures shows "Shimian" on it.

Anyway, to answer your question, it would depend on the glass. If the glass has been treated to reduce reflection, and it uses a glossy panel, this could be interested for glossy panel fans. If not, then you have something like the iMac and Apple display, where it just as glossy, and provide no advantage other than looks.

This specific monitor on eBay makes no sense on usage of the glass. The panel is apparently non-glossy, but they use a glossy panel. I don't see as being well. Anti-glare panels (the non glossy ones), uses (well, on the good monitors), a special film. It's not just a textured filmed put a front. You see, if you put any textured transparent film than light that comes out will be diffused in all directions. Anti-glare films on good monitors, are designed to reduce significantly this, so that you still have super sharp display and text isn't affected.

I am no material engineer, so I don't know what will happen if you put a glass in-front it. Will it make make the image less sharp?! I don't know.

But what I can say, is that:
    Glass is reflective (unless it's treated specially, which I haven't see so far on commercially available monitors). So you defeat the purpose of the anti-glare film used for the panel.

All I can say, is please keep with company that uses trusted, well certified, well educated engineers, and a name brand that is known. Honestly, I would trust more Gateway monitor over this eBay monitor.

5. xxxsonic1971

cheers sir, a dell monitor it is then.
    many thanks.

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Hi.

I think you need to rethink your bit comparing ccfl's and LED's if you saw their outputs. LED's achieve a light much closer to sunlight as they have a flat output whereas ccfl's produce spikes in UV and IR with spikes of colour in the visible light spectrum.

LED's are much easier on the eye, and help prevent eye strain.

I will provide data to back up my argument a little later, but I only glanced over it here while looking for monitor stands...

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Please do. White LEDs do not have a flat spectral response curve either, and the "whiteness" of the light isn't the main issue anyway. Backlighting plays a major role in the acheivable gamut of a LCD panel, and CCFLs excel in this area.

Screens using a decent RGB LED backlighting system is a good thing, but white LEDs are not.

8. GoodBytes

It's interesting, because for me, it's the contrary... and I recall a few people mention this calling LED backlight "flickering". But as it's very few people that mention it, and I haven't tried all LED monitors in the world, I decided to not mention it, just in case it's monitor specific, and it could be just my eyes that can see this, while most don't.

All I can think is that if it happens to you with your CCFL backlight monitor, is that you are probably looking at a budget monitor, where they use cheap lights and/or cheap transformers which makes this effect:

The above is common on budget monitors.

No mater what monitor the specs is, I always highly discourage budget monitors, the same for any computer hardware.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm fairly certain you'd get that on any monitor if you video it with a camera that doesn't allow you to choose shutter speeds though Goodbytes.

We're still waiting for that BTW :)

10. GoodBytes

From the review site where I got this, they were seeing it visually.

11. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Hi, i read through your post at the very top, and to be honest i got confused, i'm not great on the tech side of things monitor wise, so i thought i would just ask you :D
    I'm thinking of getting a gaming monitor, 24in i think and about the 170 max price. I was thinking
    www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=vs247h
    what are you opinions, and is there a better one for my budget?

12. GoodBytes

Sorry, I don't know U.K prices of things.. some things that are more expensive here in Canada and U.S (assuming with taxes) are cheaper in U.K, and vise versa, and I never paid attention to budget stuff, even on the IPS/*VA side of things.

So I don't know what 170 pounds can give you. Sorry.

If I was in your situation, I would get a monitor with an adjustable stand, non-glossy, and wide view angle. Either a high end TN panel, which have good enough horizontal view angle, and OK vertical ones. Or just get (sometimes the same price or even cheaper), and entry level IPS panel which will provide even better view angles, and in all directions and better (in many cases) colors.

Check this one out:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-d...splayport-1920x1080-10001-300cd-m2-4-port-usb
    It's only 10 pounds more over your budget (including VAT) but it has so much more over the ASUS one, and fits the above. Also very well reviewed. LG is the actual panel manufacture of this product.

You also have this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-l...l-hd-dvi-vga-hdmi-1920x1080-250cd-m-5m1-12-ms
    Similar to the Dell, no adjustable stand, but better than the ASUS you looked at. But the non-adjustable stand is a big downer for me. I can't see seeing a screen so low. (Also, the non-adjustable stands, are usually super flimsy).

13. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

14. NRG IT - Olly

NRG IT - Olly What's a Dremel?

This thread is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for recently; an in-depth explanation of the basics. I've never really needed to know about this (I've sold monitors in the past and still do occasionally, so the people who wanted to know about these things already did and those that didn't want to know never asked!) but it makes a lot of sense out of the numbers you get in specifications, even if they mean nothing at times! Thank you!

15. GoodBytes

I have updated my posts to reflect today's monitor market. And improved the explanation of some things. Monitor suggestion has also be been updated with newer monitors, and reflect better the current popular models on this forum.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Great work as usual Goodbytes! +rep

As an aside, you've repeated this twice, so you might want to edit it.

"LG IPS231P-BN
    eIPS panel, uses white LED back light instead. Perfect IPS monitor if you are on a tight budget. It is a 16:9 (1920x1080), and has basic inputs only: DVI and VGA. It's stand is in plastic but solid and fully adjustable. It is a non-wide gamut monitor. If you are on a budget this is a very goo deal for your money."

17. GoodBytes

Oops, thanks!
    How did that happen :)

18. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much!!!
    This article is awesome!

I need to decide between a u2711 and a u2713H. The u2713 costs 139$ more than the u2711. I'm not sure whether these 139$ are worth it?

I'm a casual gamer and a half-serious image editor.
    Can you help me a bit with my choice?

19. GoodBytes

The U2713H replaced the U2711, hence why the U2711 is cheaper.
    For comparison between the two models, check out my new monitor comparison table:
    http://www.helpweaver.com/monitor_comparison_Jan_2013.xlsx

U2713H has a bit better color from it's Adobe RGB and sRGB color profiles calibration, programmable Look Up Table, the back light uniformity is a bit better, and using a new back light technology: GB-LED (explained on my post), and the anti-glare coating is a bit less aggressive. Lastly, you can put the monitor in portrait.

The downside is that you no longer have the solid metal arm, but the stand is still solid. And you have less inputs.

20. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Thanks for sharing your article!
    I guess I'll try to find a good deal for a U2711 then, the differences seem not worth the price.