1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Everything About Monitors - Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 19 Oct 2011.

1. legendzarr

legendzarr What's a Dremel?

Great thread!

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Sure this has prob been mentioned but the Dell UltraSharp U2913WM is it any good for mainly 3ds max work and the occasional game/film.

3. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been on the Bit forums but I'm currently looking for a 27" dual monitor setup and I was looking at this monitor (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-a...hdmi-vga-1920x1080-250cd-m-10001-5ms-speakers)

What do you guys think? I'm looking to spend between £200-£300 on each monitor.

27", the higher resolution the better and preferably LED.

I spend a lot of time gaming and I use 3DS Max, Unity and PS CS6 for Uni work.

Hope this is in the right place, cheers!

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Why get a 27inch monitor, if it has a resolution of a 23inch. Both are 1920x1080.
    If you do work, you definitely want a 16:10 aspect ratio.. so a 24inch 1920x1200. Some are fine with a proper resolution 27inch monitor, that means 2560x1440, as the resolution is so high, it doesn't really mater that its 16:9

Check this one out: The Dell U2412M (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-d...vga-1920x1200-300cd-m2-10001-8ms-4xusb-hub-ro)

It's IPS panel, 1920x1200 (so higher resolution than what you are looking at), 16:10, fully adjustable stand, non-glossy, and LED back light as you want it. 3 year warranty, with 0 bright/stuck pixel warranty (this is excellent), and 6 dead pixel or more policy (this is pretty competitive), and no zones or distance policy crap. Dell pays shipping both directions, and you get to keep the monitor while you receive the replacement one (on the box of the replacement one, you'll have a pre-paid shipping label, you just switch the monitors and stick the label over the old one, and call the carrier to come and pick it up)

If you seek good colors as well, you'll need to stretch your budget more, and look at the Dell U2410.
    And if you really want 27inch, the U2713HM which is 2560x1440. They are ASUS ProArt series which are similar to Dell mentioned, but they are not available at Scans.

5. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

I currently own a 24" HP LP2475w @ 1920x1200 and it's a really good monitor however I wanted a 27" monitor to allow me more working space (yes I know 2 monitors gives me that but I mean per monitor).

I'm guessing that a 2560x1440 with a decent build quality is going to bump the price up by quite a bit?

Why are you suggesting the 16x10 res over 16:9, any particular reason? (I'm a first year student so I'm no expert)

Also, what are the negatives with having a 16:9 27"?

Cheers for the help!

6. GoodBytes

Ah ok. Yes that HP monitor is sweet.
    Well, going with the 27inch monitor you found, you'll be REDUCING your resolution per monitor.
    You'll be passing from 1920x1200 down to 1920x1080, so yes you have 2x monitors, but on a single monitor compared to a single monitor, you'll have less working space.

Sadly, that is the case. The better news, is that Dell has made an inexpensive 27inch monitor (well still expensive, but cheaper than the rest). The U2713HM. You also have the Asus PB278Q which is identical in specs, but cost more, and you need to pay shipping in the case of RMA.

Your current monitor is 16:10. 16:10 is the same width (more or less), but more height. The extra height pixels, compensate for your the room needed from the task bar, and menu/tool bars bars on top of your programs, which give you a larger working area.

The 16:9 and 16:10 mater most on a 23-24inch range monitor, as the price difference between the 2 options isn't much. When you look at the 27-30inch, where 27inch is 16:9 (2560x1440) and 30inch 16:10 (2560x1600), the price difference is really big. And as the 27inch monitor resolution is so high, that for many, at least here on this forum, it's perfectly fine, as they are not space restrictive as they would have been with a 1920x1080 monitor. IN order words: enough space for their needs, and good compromise considering the size of the 30inch monitor on their desk and the price.

Your wallet is smaller. :)

If you are concerned about colors from what you have now and your HP monitor:
    -> You'll be passing from wide gamut monitor down to standard gamut monitor, so colors will be less vivid. If you want to continue to have wide gamut colors, look at the U2713H (notice the lack of the "M" at the end of the model).
    Both are good, it's a mater of taste and needs. But just something to expect if you plan to compare how it looks with your current HP. I don't expect it to be a nigh and day difference, or anything really major.
    But, while this Dell monitor uses high grade white LED, with a white phosphor coating on them to adjust the white light provided by the LED's, you might notice a hint of a blue tint... but that about it.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
  7. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

Yeah I understand the reduction in height with x1080 vs x1200

I did a quick googling of the U2713HM and the first page I came to had really bad reviews based upon the quality of the panel. As for the PB278Q, a quick googling only revealed American sites so I couldn't get a good idea on price.

I had another look at the 2560x1400 res 27" monitors on scan's site and I can't really seem to justify the price at the moment.

I guess if the 27" is going to give me the same amount of work space as the 24" due to having the same resolution then there's effectively no point in getting a larger screen, right?

In that case, which 24" monitors would you recommend for the £200-£300 mark? (1920x1200)

8. GoodBytes

huh? All the reviews I read are saying that's a very good monitor, just expensive.
    Can you provide me with a link? You must remember that manufacture errors always occurs on anything you buy at the consumer level. When it's enterprise it's a different story. The hardware is made with super high quality, has error correction systems put in place (well not for monitors, cause that possibly useless), and everything is deep tested before delivery.. where while manufacture error still can occur, it's very unlikely, and you pay the nice premium price for all of this.. as it costs a lot of money to do.

9. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Dell u2412m, really nice ops display with reasonably good colours and can now be found under £200 because of the newer dell monitor announcements. (I bought mine at Christmas for £220)

10. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

The first link I came across was amazon and the reviews weren't good there but the reviews were decent after further searching.

I think I'm going to go for the u2412m based upon the prices of models available and the fact that it has been recommended, thanks a lot for the help guys!

11. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

Posted from Bit-tech.net App for Android

12. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    Great guide, but i was just wondering if i could get advice on the best between these 3 monitors, going to be used for gaming, with movies etc too, mostly MMOs
    Would like around the £200 mark, could go 10 quid over if its a really good monitor.

So the 3 i've come up with are:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-049-AS&groupid=17&catid=1425
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-055-DE&groupid=17&catid=1425
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-052-DE&groupid=17&catid=510
    What would you think would be the best, or are there any better for the money?
    EDIT: and is there anything bad about 16:10 for gaming or is 16:9 the one i should go for..

13. GoodBytes

Sorry, I was busy with my finals at University. I am now done, but exhausted. Give me a day or two to look into more detail these new monitors. I also know a bunch of new monitors got released, which I need to mention.

Give me a moment and I'll back to you :)

14. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Awesome, thanks :D
    And congratz on the finals, got mine in a month :D

15. GoodBytes

I am not seeing any detail reviews of the ASUS MX239H. However, specs wise it will be the most nicest monitor, of the 3. It uses a true 8-bit AH-IPS panel, while the U2312HM and U2412M both uses entry level IPS panels (eIPS) which are 6-bit panels.

So you trade adjustability and get a glossy monitor (something I don't recommend) for improved colors. The U2312HM and U2412M are out since a while, and they are very well reviewed. Many here have it, and I did get a chance to see the U2412M in action on my desk. They are nice monitors.

The new monitor released are more expensive than your budget by a long shot, so not worth mentioning.

If you choose a full featured monitor with the U2412M and the U2312HM, it comes down to what you prefer... 16:10 or 16:9. If you do work on your computer 16:10 is a must, especially at this resolution. You might get away, like many does, if it was a 1440p monitor (2560x1440), due to the much increased resolution, and the high cost of 2560x1600 monitors., but not so much on this size.

16. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ok that sounds great :) I think I'll got for the U2412m, will it be alright for gaming on? Will everything be stretched or will the aspect ratio of games change to fit the screen? Likes of LoL EVE and darkfall will be played on it, with maybe crysis and bioshock too.

17. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have the U2412m and I game on it. It is amazing, don't worry you will be happy you bought it for a very long time. I play eve too and the extra screen res that a 16:10 offers is a god send.

18. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Oh this is awesome news :D ill be ordering later today in that case

19. GoodBytes

I have 16:10 monitor (U2410), and I have no problem in gaming.
    And if it's ever a problem.. nothing will block you in playing the game at 1920x1080 :)
    You'll just a small black line at the top and bottom, which will feel like it's the frame as it will be a nice black, due that's an IPS panel.

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator