1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Everything About Monitors - Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 19 Oct 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Interesting read.

Actually in my view, the reason why we don't see these better displays on the desktop and laptop space, is because the consumer wants to pay the lowest price possible, no mater what.
    They see no value in this. Consumers don't complain about laptops using Windows 8 minimum screen resolution, TN panel and all that crap. But on phones they do for some reason. Do they complain about glossy? Nope. Washed out and flat colors? Nope. Shirt view angles? Nope. Work area? It does display Facebook fine... so Nope.

Even with Apple pushing better displays in their products, it doesn't attract the mass market to demand such specs.

We will have such display... it will just be limited to professional grade, and at best, high-end consumer grade monitors (1000$ monitors at least). Definitely not bellow that. But why not now?
    The people who needs such display, also needs GPU performance. And sadly, we don't have the GPU power. So buying a 2K or 4K monitor is useless.

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

bugger...

but as you say, they will always be around, we just need fat wallets.

3. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. My friend is looking for a new monitor mainly for gaming (Battlefield 3 etc) and podcasting which will also involve alot of video editing.

Any recommendations for around £200. I keep seeing the Dell monitors mentioned. He also wants 1920*1080p. Any suggestions ?.

Another point. He currently has a 1680*1050 (I think thats the res. Its 16 something:). Plus runs an Nvidia 560 Gefore card. How big a hit will he take playing something as BF3 ie frames per second. I have a rough idea and will look into it.

Main thing is the monitor though :). Any help would be good :)

Lee

4. GoodBytes

Actually, as much as Dell is good, they are having some serious QA issues lately, to a point it's not even funny. People need to exchange 4-5 times their monitor to get a perfect one. Many return them, and buy something else.

Common problems:
    -> back light bleeding (not normal for an IPS)
    -> crosshatching issue
    -> dead pixel

It's clear that Dell is desperate to show nice numbers to their investors for their quaterly results, and cuts everywhere, and on QA in a poor attempt to meet profits. Destroying their little reputation that they have, which are monitors. Of course, they'll probably blame the reduce sales of monitors, as everyone returns them, down to PC sales are down, and keep going, until it's able, at least, to be private (and even then, you have to expect a transition phase).

If you can get a previous generation Dell, like the U2410, U2711, or U3011, then you'll be fine (beside they are better monitors in every single way, just about).

Last edited: 10 Jul 2013
  5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Dell U2410 refurbished from NRG:IT on eBay would get my vote (a little over budget but worth it imo). When you say about him taking a hit running a 1680x1050 monitor too do you just mean having it on when he's gaming? You don't mean trying to game across both monitors do you? If just having it on then very little effect at all.

Edit: Ninja'd by the man himself! Just for the record the U2713HM I got from NRG:IT had none of the above issues and they said that if they sent me one with those issues they would take it back under DSR (distance selling regulations) at their own expense.

6. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey ya guys and thank you for the replies :). It was just with gaming and one monitor :). Any other monitors that are non dell. Any new models etc?

Lee

7. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

What you think about 4k monitor such as PQ321 vs IPS panel? Any thoughts on 4k screens at all?

8. GoodBytes

IGZO panel from Sharp is a new panel technology, with a lot of promises.
    Beside some of the promises that Sharp marketing claims, I know nothing about it compared to other panel technology in real life.

Best wait for in depth monitor review, but I doubt it will be worse than an IPS panel (Tn panel style).
    It does have a 176 degree view angle instead of 178 degree. Not that the 2 degree view angle lost will do anything. But that is all I know.

Some of the things Sharp claims:
    -> thinner boarder (then again we have IPS panel video walls, which has ultra thin borders, and Sharp isn't comparing their monitor panel type against those)
    -> Thinner display
    -> Consumes much less power than IPS
    -> Can retain it's image when powered off (good for phones, as the display can be turned on and off, keeping the backlight on, on non changing frames, is the idea)
    -> Easier and cheaper to make a high ppi display
    -> Oh and it "it makes dreams come true. Yesterday’s dreams, today’s dreams, tomorrow’s dreams.", is what Sharp claims. There is more marketing claims, but they talk about TV's, and well.. it's marketing B.S such as this one.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2013
    Siwini likes this.
  9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

In all honesty TN panels post 2005 aren't that bad. Sure the angles are bad but the monitor isn't the devil's balls.

My brother's using a 204B and it's admittedly a bit crap next to my older 2080UX+es but they're not in any way too awful viewed head on.

10. Kranston

Kranston What's a Dremel?

When my ancient 5:4 1280 x 1024 monitor finally conked out a couple of months ago, and I needed a replacement fast, all I did was walk along to the local Argos store to see what they on sale. I had a choice of three monitors in the size I wanted, from LG, Acer, and Samsung, all at the same price. I opted for the LG one, because it had more connectors than than the other two. It's just a 23.6 inch, 1080p, TN panel, and I'm well pleased with it. End of ramble.

11. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

This is great helpful

12. Quackie

Quackie What's a Dremel?

Oh come on, 22" Isn't as bad as it seems (gotta defend my own screen :))

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I'm currently using a Dell SP2309W which I got on CustomPC/Bit-Tech recommendation:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/monitors/2010/01/23/dell-sp2309w-monitor-review/

Its a really nice 2048x1152 screen which I got at a great price a few years ago, but I'm now interested in looking at something 120hz+.

I don't mind spending a little more, but I'd rather keep a higher than 1080p res if possible, anyone got any recommendations?

14. GoodBytes

All 120Hz monitors are 1080p, because of dual-link DVI limitation (max ability. Either you get a higher resolution than 1080p, or be able to provide a higher refresh rate).
    They could use DisplayPort, but most people, at least what monitor manufacture believes, don't have DisplayPort.

Also, that's "what gamers wants", monitor manufacture believes. As this what the majority of games are designed for, as they are console ports, so designed for 720p and 1080p TV's

15. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Well thats pretty terrible, the technology is being held back because of dual-link DVI? Almost everyone has display port options right?

I fear I'd really notice the lack of pixels if I was to downgrade my resolution.

16. The Bear

The Bear What's a Dremel?