1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: MSI P55 GD65

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Aug 2009.

1. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

HOW?!?! I'm a 2 bed flat, new build so all the wiring is new, and I'm paying almost £100 a month!

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol poor Bindibadgi, everyone harping on you about power save over night lol, oh no worries guys Im with you, we all need to do our part in the world to help it a bit more. Im just not going to drill in to him anymore then he already has been lol....

Im looking forward to the ASUS RoG P55 motherboard. Nice to see SLI and Crossfire still with these boards.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

No idea! I thought it was a massive mistake but i checked the meters when the bill came in and they where correct, the cooker hob and heating are gas.

I might try and get through a whole quarter switching it off just to see how much difference it makes.

The more i think about it the more im leaning towards a significant upgrade in the very near future hopefully more info on the nxt gen gpu will be out by then

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I couldn't care less about the world after me, I just care about my money. :p

5. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Seeing the 'quote' button perplekks, the 'edit' button appears to be hiding from me...

HourBeforeDawn, you're absolutely right mate. I wasn't trying to drill into Bindibadgi, (honest!) just make the point that it all adds up over time and with numbers of people - which is something that most people don't really consider.

Boy 4rm Oz, I understand what you're saying, but PC's use a lot more energy in standby than TV's and leaving my PC on standby when not using it would power your 500w TV 24hrs a day for a month solid, (and cost AUS $43.25) - which is a little more than some momentary 'surge' once a year...

I understand it's not huge sums of money we're talking about, but it's not really about the money is it - although I'd still rather £20 was in my pocket than my electric company's. Besides, how many people go to work while purposely leaving the kitchen sink tap running all day? It's essentially the same thing.

Anyway, no more lecturing from me. :)

And if the OC button doesn't use the CMOS battery to retain it's memory then I still think it's stupid. And in the wrong place.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

God you people must bottle your own farts to use in the boiler! :p You'd hate to see our lab - we leave everything on, let alone James' Folding rigs keeping it all warm.

The white Sapphire board was gorgeous - lets have a little style and flair at least because it can be afforded!

A PC on standby or sleep is all of a few watt, and if you're that concerned about every watt used: WHY ARE YOU OVERCLOCKING?? Burning an OC'd, overvolted PC for several hours surely uses as much as leaving it on overnight on standby.

Anyway, I'm still double checking about the settings - power thing. I could be wrong and was mis-informed.

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

You know, give me enough time and I will 'eventually' spot sarcasm when I see it...

(Now I'm wishing there was an edit button! lol)

Hey, at least James' folding rigs are doing something useful...

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, heating the room.

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

John you need to go the post via the forums to use the edit button, all discussions are linked to the forums but there is no edit button via the news/whatever page.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I dunno, we have had our power grid tested in our house and when an item is plugged into the socket, the socket in on, and the item is off, it uses next to no power at all, even a PC. Dad thought something was wrong with our power bill when we got the 50" Plasma so he got the whole house tested. Testes show that our house is perfectly grounded with no leakage from any socket in the house, even if something is plugged in and the power is off. Our standards might just be different in Australia.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I overclock and undervolt.

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Lol! Your energy bills are nothing compared to mine. 360 euro every two months. Until the day I put all four pc's into standby mode. The energy bill dropped significantly to 233 euro.

Why don't manufacturers make stripped down boards of this, without all the bells and whistles like overclock buttons and holes to burn your multimeter into. and also without any fdd, ide and ps2 ports.

I bet it will drop the price of the boards a few pounds. Makes more room on the board, so can make it smaller, saves a few bits of watts also probably.

And why there are always reviews of the top of the line boards and only of the big three; Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. Why no budget boards of them or other brands. Not everyone has money to burn for triple SLI über configurations. Especialy around these days...

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's interesting, them being right next to each other and the same size and all. :p

Agreed.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You dont disable unused stuff in the BIOS?

15. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Cheers Storm, I'm pretty new to posting on the site & I didn't know that - thanks.

perplekks: See above.

Boy 4rm Oz: I think we're getting our wires crossed a bit here mate. I'm not talking about whether the PC is shut down but still plugged in, (socket switch on or off) I'm talking about the PC being put into standby or 'sleep' mode, (which is what Bindibadgi said he does) - so that that you don't boot up each morning, you just wiggle the mouse & you're straight back at where you were when you left it.

As I said before, I understand that maybe different equipment is more efficient to what I tested, but on the PC I did test, the wattage only dropped from 149w to 118w in 'sleep' mode - so it still burns approx 80% of the electricity as just being left on as normal.

Bindibadgi: Again, I just think you're missing my point. I DON'T care for every single watt used - as long as they're being used.

Have a half a dozen kilowatt beasts all burning away under your desk for all it matters to me - all I'm saying is that I think they should be switched off when you know you're not going to use them for a long period of time, ie, when you finish work to go down the pub, go home & then go to sleep, (I don't count folding rigs in that because they ARE working and doing something useful).

No, leaving PC's running when not using them doesn't cost a significant amount of money to anyone with a job, but that's not really the point is it? We can all afford to leave our taps running all day while we go to work, but we don't do that because it would be stupid - why is purposely wasting electricity seen as anything different?

Look, if an i7 & Vista in sleep mode only burn a couple of watts then I apologise, I'm just going with what I tested - as I said, what I tested would have burnt hundreds of kilowatt hours over the course of a year. Multiple that up by a few hundred million machines in Europe, North America and the Far East and that's massive and obscene waste.

I don't want people to go back to 'living in caves' - but not powering things when not using them makes no material impact on our standard of living.

As DragunovHUN said, how hard is it to switch on your machine and then go & get a cup of coffee while it boots...?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To confirm:

I was corrected by MSI and the OC button does keep the BIOS settings even if you power down the PC. If you are unhappy with the overclock simply turn it off, unpress the button, load the BIOS defaults, turn off and press the button again.

If you dont care for it at all - dont use it :p Simple as that.

It's for people who simply don't want to stress with finding the right settings but do want some performance for free. That's it.

The problem is companies cannot make a motherboard to suit everyone, but they can include a number of SKUs with increasing features. That's what variety of manufacturers are for, just like the car industry.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah well that makes a lot more sense :D

To be honest I leave my office PC in "restmode" as well (it's one sleepmode lower than "standby") this means it takes about 1-2min to wake up. It's a laptop though, which use wery litte power when in restmode.

Reason: Boot time is about 10-15 minutes :jawdrop:
    well, booting takes 2 minutes, updating the network connections/printers/softwareupdates/securityupdates takes >10 minutes...my company is probably paranoid.

But I need to restart it properly every 2-3 days because it'l slow to a grinding halt without booting regularly. :eyebrow:

Xir

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

With the PCs plugged into our lab, shut down but the plug is powered on - they take 500mW.

A standby of 118W is ludicrous!! I think we're confusing it with a sleep/hibernate mode though, which still boots faster than Windows from cold. That uses very little power: sub 10W.

Normally I turn off PCs, but it depends if I need to keep all my work open in a state I can come back to and sometimes I leave my PC/laptop on to do what it does then send itself to sleep later. That's simply convenience.

You're also missing another key question: ask yourself (and others) this: do I need a quad core? a high end graphics card for my 1 hour of gaming (out of 14 PC use) a day. Do I need it to be heavily overclocked without power saving states running? We piss away more power from high end PCs we don't optimally use. I would suggest this makes things like Netbooks and NAS boxes of far greater benefit: basically use the right machine for the appropriate job. :)

In that respect - should everyone be using Windows clock profile software? When you're reading the internet your PC is set to 1GHz and undervolted heavily, but when you need the power you click one button and it sets it to 4GHz?

Compared to turning it off at the plug and saving less than a watt - even with a whole society doing this - it makes no difference because that power stating is producing that power anyway. Whatever is not uses is pissed away into ground. To prevent brownouts they have to make more than than predicted demand - so putting more money into better demand prediction or sensing would save a loooooooooot more power than expending the effort to turn a PC off at the wall. ;)

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Exactly, my main rig is only even on when I am watching movies and gaming, all that overclocked, power sucking hardware is only used (on average) 10 hours a week, I use my laptop for everything else (web browsing and uni work).

20. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Oh dear, my head's spinning! :)

I've just re-read through this thread from start to finish, twice, and I still don't know why I can't make myself properly understood - I must be doing something wrong...

Bindibadgi, you know I'm not 'having a go' at you right, I'm just trying, (and clearly failing) to make myself understood. The reason I'm confusing what you said is because you said:

I took that to mean the 'sleep' mode called 'Stand By', ie, (in XP) 'start', 'Turn Off Computer', 'Stand By' - meaning your PC wasn't shut down and you didn't have to boot up in the morning. I also thought that because:

118W IS what the PC I tested used while it was in sleep mode, but I did say the machine I tested was fairly old & was running XP - if new PC's & OS's are more than twelve times as efficient then I'm surprised, but fair enough. All this stuff about saving a fraction of a watt between a fully shut-down PC and also then switching off the socket switch really wasn't the point I was trying to make.

What you said about using the right tool for the right job is of course correct, but I wasn't even trying to be that 'environmentally friendly' - I'm not so presumptive as to try and tell people which PC they should be using - all I was saying was that, ideally, we should switch things off if we know we aren't going to use them for a very long period of time, such as overnight. I thought that was just common sense, I didn't realise it made me some kind of lentil-eater.

Of course, neither you nor anyone else has to give a flying monkey's left arse-cheek about anything I have to say on the subject, I know that full well. I just thought someone leaving loads of unused equipment running through the night to save on a 60 second boot-up time wasn't an especially responsible thing to do, but then I suppose each to their own - ultimately it isn't really my business...

Tags: Add Tags