1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not going to lie, I have had some extraordinary luck when it comes to picking up some of these limited release models, especially with things like the WH+ figures, I have managed to get hold of all 3 of the 40k ones (assassin, chaos terminator, and the guardsman) for only a little over what a standard single figure price would be, like £2 or £3 over. A lot of the other ones I have managed to pick up on release, even models like the older terminator chaplain that was a strange store anniversary release - buy the standard store anniversary model for that year and then spend x amount within a month to be able to buy the chaplain, not a good release idea either, but at least that was available.

In other news, I think I might be finally getting around to moving my metal Thunderhawk on. Prices have been going silly on these ever since the Squidmar build and auction where the finished one went for over £25,000. Never going to be getting that for mine (would solve all the little money problems if I could...), but we shall see. I am still thinking "but it's mine, my shiny precious", but the chance of over £5k is kinda tempting. We shall see.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If it helps, if it were me, I'd totally sell it now just in case the demand for it drops and then pick up a plastic one for 1/10 the price!

3. Almightyrastus

If I were to sell it (and that is looking likely), I think the money will just be going to paying off bits and pieces with the remainder going into new PC bits.

I am thinking of moving on a lot of stuff that has just been sitting around like my Harlequins, Mechanicus, Blood Angels firstborn, Space Wolves (again firstborn), White Dwarf magazines - I have pretty much all of the small slim version that they did for a while, then there are all the Warhammer Visions magazines from around the same time, got a load of old codexes that can be shifted.

Might even start going through the old metal models and seeing what else is in there, may as well move them onto someone who will do something with them rather than having them sitting in my bits box(es). There will still be a lot of bits and pieces that I will be keeping and I wouldn't be getting out of the hobby at all, I just near to clear out 34 years of not so much collecting, but more hoarding now...

Pete J likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The only time I get "limited" models for release price is when I buy them at release :D Lucky git!

And tbh, I'd move the metal thunderhawk on. I am a big fan of the Thunderhawk as a model and a set of rules, but the old metal one is just such a pain in the whole lower back area. It's a cool piece of history, the metal one, but I'm not sure it's a cool piece of history worth keeping. I do not know how the Squidmar one went for as much as it did, I didn't think he was that expensive a painter..

5. Almightyrastus

This is some of the special editions that I have, there are more in various boxes:

[​IMG]

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So. Much. Awesome.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  7. liratheal

Most envious of Bayard's Revenge and the female Catachan :D That's a nice collection

8. Almightyrastus

Thanks guys. I think my favourites from that part of the collection are either Bayard's Revenge or Umbral 6 - the assassin.

Umbral 6 is such a simple model but I love the statue that he is hiding in:

[​IMG]

It was so much fun to do the weathering on and trying to make it look like the statue was crying. Still got a little to finish off on it and it is just clipped together at the moment.

Pete J likes this.
  9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Mate, your brushwork is something else...!
    :eeek:

10. Almightyrastus

Thank you, much appreciated. My painting is not where I would like it to be, or even where it probably should be given the amount of time that I’ve been at it. I just concentrate on being as neat as I can.

My biggest problem is that I have never been able to “trust the process” in that I can’t get my head around the guides that show a bunch of steps that make the model look bad or worse at each stage before it all looks great in the end. My thinking has always been that each step should be getting the model looking better, why would I make it look worse?

the other issue is that my eyes are getting worse, combination of diabetes and age (46), need to get some reading glasses sorted out I think.

11. liratheal

I hate trusting the process. But it's the way to do it, as much as it causes teeth grinding.

My current project is "recovering" a Severina & Sevora, the 54mm Inquisitor jobbies, after finally finding a mostly complete set on ebay for less than a hundred Euro.

[​IMG]

Missing some hands, a sword, and some belt knives, but considering what I've seen out there, that's not so bad. I think her sword is a bit long, though.

Pete J and Almightyrastus like this.
  12. Almightyrastus

Quick question for the assembly if I may. I have done a search online and in various places, but I seem to be getting all the different answers from everywhere.

Stripping plastic models (yup, this one again).

Anyone have any experience with something that works well with no risk to the underlying plastic?

I have seen everything from the Dettol (the smell and talk of slime putting me off this) to high purity iso alcohol and even meths. I do have some turps substitute that works great on metal ones but I am not going to be putting any plastic in there.

I tried to make a start on painting up the new (to me) Catachan Colonel and looked at a few guides and the like, picking one that I liked the outcome on. Tried that and nope, did not look good at all. I want to strip it all off and try again before I lose all momentum and it ends up just being yet another unfinished project. I keep going through stages where I have zero motivation to do anything, everything looks bad and I get frustrated with trying to do anything and then other times when it all becomes "paint all the things" and I end up with something that I am happy about. I have to jump on those times when I get them.

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I wondered this as well not too long ago and ended up finding out about something called Simple Green (sp?). I haven't bought it or tried it yet though, so have no idea whether it's a) suitable for plastic, or b) any good at its job. But it might be worth checking out.

Or go full aerosol and lighter, burn off the layers and and add some melta damage at the same time! Not on the Colonel, mind.

(I did actually attempt this once intentionally, it wasn't as impressive as I'd hoped. The poor squaddie just became an even poorer low-lumen candle).

14. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

One that I have used successfully is called clean spirit. I got it from B&Q, their diall range. Left plastic, metal and resin models in that without issue. Took off all the paint barring some of the primer. Its not the quickest, most of the models were an overnight soak, and I only used it on acrylic paint, but it worked. Also, it doesn't have a very powerful odour, smells faintly of soap.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've wondered about paint removal methods, but a few Google/YouTube searches and you'll have the same knowledge.

Please let us know if you try so we have some reference material!

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You know who else might know? @Gunsmith...

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Pete J and Almightyrastus like this.
  18. Almightyrastus

Thanks for that. I think I shall grab some. The page specifically says that it does not affect polystyrene which is what GW use (pretty mush the same as all other scale type models).

I shall report back soon(ish)

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

being a mod in a modelling/making discord has its uses

20. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It seems that unlike living in the grim darkness of the far future, model painting may have some room for error.