1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Geekbench scores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 14 Dec 2011.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Your Damn straight I will :D with some EVGA GTX 580 Classified HC cheescake! until gtx 780's come around :)

2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

[​IMG]

3. thetrashcanman

Oh calm down Farnsworth! What are you going to think of next, a telescope looking device that can sniff astronomical distance's? Suppose your going to call it the Smell-O-Scope are you?

4. mikeyman198

Haha its a meme old man get with the times :p

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Have you decided which processors you'll be using? I'm aiming for a pair of E5-2687W, but to get the system working before the summer may have to buy a couple of cheaper processors initially and upgrade a few months later. Oh well, more hardware to benchmark :)

For GPUs I'll probably be going for the 680/780 classifieds as well. Double precision flops (folding power) is my main goal with this system :) I'm even considering building a mini-itx system in the base of the main system to control the cooling system and double as a dedicated firewall :)

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'll be coming for you all soon. Just a few more parts and I shall be ready...

7. thetrashcanman

Haha, I just read the TDP of the E5 - 2687W Yeah I'm probably going for a pair of those too, although initially I was thinking E5 - 2670, just depends how much money I have at the time, reckon I'll have enough for a couple of 2687W though :D

and that sounds like an epic idea, I did see someone doing that who was using a Phase Charge Cooling unit, using a mini itx system to do something with it, can't remember where I saw the bloody video now :wallbash:

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

9. mikeyman198

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That at stock speeds? If not, clock speed please.

11. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Well, I just installed my shiny (Literally) new HD 6870. I know Geekbench doesn't test the GPU, but I think taking the load off my CPU should help raise my score a little bit. I'll be checking if it makes any difference at stock speeds, and if anyone beats my score by less than 500 points I'll find out if it will help me get a higher benching OC.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  13. Pookeyhead

I doubt it will make any difference. Geekbench doesn't touch the GPU, and no matter what GPU you have, it's more than capable of displaying a desktop without needing help from the CPU.

14. .//TuNdRa

I'd disagree slightly. If you're on Integrated graphics; The overhead from it could slow the system down, even if it doesn't impact the processor, but I wouldn't think it would be worth no more than 50 points, at most.

15. Pookeyhead

....but he's not using integrated graphics... so it won't LOL.

16. .//TuNdRa

Fair point. Past about a GT 210; The GPU upgrade isn't going to mean anything to the CPU. Unless AMD finally get their unified system design working and offload calculations onto the GPU; it probably never will.

17. Pookeyhead

Boards updated.

18. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Actually I WAS on integrated before I got this card. That was the only reason I expected any change.

I had some rather surprising results actually. My overall score went up about 200 points. I didn't have a great baseline for my scores on integrated, just one results file saved from my first run at benching. So it may have been somehow dampened, though I cant think of any changes to my setup since then.

my integer sub-score was ~400 points higher (this bounced around while I ran and re-ran the benchmark, +400 was just the largest discrepancy I saw)

my Floating Point sub-score was consistently 200 points lower

but both memory and stream sub-scores were consistently 300 points higher.

Obviously there is some inconsistency in the data, and there may be some small changes to my system I can't think of at the moment. That being said, I get the feeling the switch opened up some bandwidth on some system bus somewhere and boosted my memory scores. integer and floating point look like they vary a lot more between tests than memory and stream, and while I was looking at the detailed results I noticed that the score difference for integer and floating point usually came from a few tests in favor of one system with the rest about even. While the memory scores were universally in favor of the system with the new card, by about the same amount each time.

Once I get over the excitement of playing games again I'll pull the card, get a better baseline, put it back in, make a few runs, and then put the results into a spreadsheet so I can get a better statistical analysis of the results :)rock:).

19. Pookeyhead

Get outa here!.... who uses integrated graphics? LOL Just a stop gap between GPUs I take it.

20. Mrmelon98

Mrmelon98 When's a Dremel?

2022!

Hell yeah! i'm runnin' my Pentium socket 775:rock: