1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [Laptop screen] How-To???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by white modder, 14 Feb 2004.

1. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx What's a Dremel?

Ahh?

Do you have any other circuitry than the LCD itself hten? Since I only have the LCD for that and not a controller or similar unfortauntely... exdcept fo the PCB that's on the back of the LCD and I'm doubting that's a controller. Blah

-Excelsior

2. Turbochris

Turbochris What's a Dremel?

I've been researching this whole LCD thing, here's what I've learned- I'm a cheap SOB for one, but I already knew that. Whatever you start with, try to get the pinout. The hookup on these LCD's are nowhere near standardized. Finding the LCD is easy, it's the controller that's hard to find.

I've come across industrial Single Board Computers that have LCD controllers built in, they usually support a number of different LCD's. That's nice, but you're limited by the other capabilities of the SBC, stuff like they usually are for an ISA buss. I find them on ebay for anywhere from $10 to $100 on a regular basis. Another drawback is the LCD has to be close to the SBC because the LCD cable length is limited. Also, you'll probably need to make the cable yourself because of the lack of standardization.

I also picked up a PCI LCD controller on Ebay for $31. It only supports an 800 x600 LCD with 18 bit color but that's wha I have so I was luckey. Very few stand alone controllers get listed on ebay, and if you get one with a data sheet you're really luckey.I can drop this in any computer with a PCI slot and my LCD will work. I still have to make a cable and again, the length is limited.

The best option is a VGA to LCD card. You can use a much longer cable with VGA, and you have better performance options on the graphics card. The drawback is they hardly ever get listed on Ebay and they cost anywhere from $100 to $300.

Then there's the VESA connector on the older graphics cards. I never tried that because of the low number of colors.

So, that's the options I've come up with. I'm building a computer for my car with an SBC with a pentium 800 and a built in LCD controller. The PCI card will probably drive an LCD built into the side of my computer case.

3. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

i have the entire motherboard from the laptop (and the rest of the parts of the laptop for that matter) but in theory all i should need is the controller chip that i found.

stupid little bugger is gonna be a pain in the rear to solder though.

4. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

Ahh.. Darn then, since I don't have the original motherboard :(

I hope one of the others might still work though.

-Excelsior

5. egeekial

egeekial What's a Dremel?

Here's what I have

Ok, I have a 12.1" LCD screen from an old CTX Ezbook 700E.

Here's what the back says:
    TORISAN TFT-LCM
    TM121SZ-02L01
    500C0055768715

Here's what I found:
    http://support.advantech.com.tw/Cse...362b1af4a5e22657c82566340030f8ab?OpenDocument

I also have the laptop in its enterity if it that helps anything. I want to use it as a monitor for a carputer so I don't really want to do the VESA 16 colors thing, but I guess that would be better than nothing.

Does anyone know of a controller that supports this screen and where I can get one?

I can post pictures if that will help the cause, too.

6. djivesp

djivesp What's a Dremel?

Just got my screen today but the f*****g dumbass postman smashed it putting it thru the letterbox AAARGGGGH!!

7. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

sounds like whoever shipped it didn't know how to package it.

8. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

9. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

the 2 pins on that that worry me the most are line clock and frame clock, which are usually indicative of some sort of digital interface

or they could be differnt names for vsync and hsync, but i don't think so.

yeah, considering it's meant for palmpilots and the like, i'd assume it's some weird proprietary non normal screen. but if you have the $40 to burn, try it and let us know :)

10. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

help

anyone come up with a complete english translation on how to do this?
    ive got tons of video cards with those connectors and three lcds from pentium 133's ones an ibm thinkpad and the other is a toshiba something or other
    which would be my better way?

11. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

:read:

(page 3) :thumb:

12. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

thanks i didnt see that

i dont know what happend i read through the whole thread i thought....must have skipped a section
    thnx for pointing out which page it was on and not being an a@@ like most peole are

13. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

ok ive been reading and reading

ok ive got a nec nl8060bc31-02 out of a hitachi laptop....only i dont know what im looking at on the board and where to start with it...i altavista'd it and got some pin outs but they look to be strangely different than the ones that are actually on here i can upload a pick of it to
    ive got pictures if anyone is willing to help me out on where to start looking...plus i got a voodoo3 with the vesa
    thnx

14. Bumbi

Bumbi What's a Dremel?

Hi boys! I have a same sharp LM64C15P laptop lcd, and i would like to wire it to my vga card (geforceMX400 or pci s3) as well...I have the datasheet of this lcd, so if someone needs it, i will send him in email (it is in pdf).
    Can anybody help me to use this lcd?
    [​IMG]

15. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Could you post a picture of the connectors on that LCD?

16. Bumbi

Bumbi What's a Dremel?

OFFcourse, but, how can i upload pics? or i can only link them? btw, here is the datasheet of the lcd...i hope it helps:LM64C15P->datasheet if it needs the login and the pass, here they are:
    Login:[Bumbi A Koala] without []
    Pass:[fsixjr] without []

17. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Thanks, but it says in the datasheet what type of connector it's using (31 pin hirose).
    I thought it was similar to one I have, but it seems to be completely different.

18. IamZombie

IamZombie What's a Dremel?

I've got 2 of these guys from dead Zeos Meridian laptops.
    NEC: NL8060AC26-05
    w/inverter for the CCFL

Data sheet
    http://www.lcdspecifications.com/necpdfs/NL8060AC26-05.pdf

Does this LCD have a build in controller?
    On page 2 there is a block diagram that shows a "LCD timing controller."
    Is it possible to use this VESA trick, or go with a video card that has a DVI plug, or am I just SOL with these?

Thanks in advance.

19. jockeman

jockeman What's a Dremel?

Hi!

I have a Sanyo-Torisan TM121SV-02L07B tft screen.

I havn't found any datasheet for it but as it is connetet do a laptop right now i can see that only 8 wires goes from the motherboard to the screen. Why so few?

there are about 13 wires that goes from the motherboard to the inverter, i suspect it is for adjusting backlight and contrast.

Could it be that it only needs RGB, h-sync, v-sync, clock and som power to work?

/Joakim

20. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

I guess im bringing back a thread but i dont know much about laptops but all i know is i have a lcd that would go great on my case but anyway. Is there anyway to use a mobile video card to run it. I dont know much about how laptops connect to gfx cards and such but just wanted to know if there was any possiblility.