1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Since I wanted something quick and easy to build before I tackle the two supercars, I got the Dodge Charger (#42111).

Also waiting for the lighting kit for the grand piano to make it even more impressive.

Pete J likes this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13"

No, wait, come back, I haven't taken leave of my senses! :grin:

It's the same sort of ballpark spec I was looking for in a new-old laptop; it looks like it's in remarkably good condition for an 8 year old machine; I really like the older MBP keyboards - they're on par with earlier Thinkpads IMO; the trackpads really are quite good; and the 2012 to 2014/2015 MBPs were the last generation of properly upgradeable MBPs, after that they started soldering everything down. I mean really upgradeable, for a laptop: up to 16GB RAM, high quality replacement batteries available, and if you fit a caddy in place of an optical drive you can cram two 2.5" drives in the chassis. Plus, you know what? I actually really like the design of the unibody aluminium chassis.

It's relatively low risk IMO. If it turns out to be an absolute turd then I can easily shift it on for more or less what I just paid.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Two 1920*1080 21.5" monitors. Its time to ditch those old 21 inchers which have started to act up. TN, oddball size for FHD but meh, those will be secondaries.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Brydge - W-Touch Wireless Precision Touchpad for Windows
    [​IMG]

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Okay, that's all the FleaBay stuff now. Although I do have my eyes on some sales documentation from ACT about the Apricot line...

David, Vault-Tec, Pete J and 2 others like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think I have Lotus 1-2-3 kicking around at home...

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Used to swear by Lotus SmartSuite, I did.

Bought a NOS sealed-box copy of Aldus PageMaker a while back for a song. Installed it in Windows for Workgroups under DOSbox, from the original floppies. Still couldn't really explain why...

Pete J likes this.
  8. perplekks45

Death Stranding. Been putting off buying it for long enough.

And, maybe just maybe, the Lego Land Rover Defender (#42110). Mainly because I was disappointed by the Dodge Charger.

Pete J likes this.
  9. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I've been listening to music more recently and have always been mildly interested by audiophile equipment. With everything else my "luxury" spending has all but dried up lately so didn't want to push the boat out but having seen the alleged advances in the "chi-fi" segment I decided to gamble on the Blon BL-03 IEMs and a USB DAC. I look forward to being totally unable to discern any improvement in quality vs my £4.99 ear buds.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Scanner get!

It's huge. And I haven't quite worked out the document feeder's duplex mode yet.

*But*... it lets me scan in things like this:

upload_2020-9-7_13-3-45.png

That's 450mm long - way too big to go in one pass on an A4 flatbed scanner. Pushed it through the ADF, worked fine!

EDIT:
    Looks like Xsane gets a bit bepuzzled by the ADF, or vice-versa, and won't do multiple sides/pages (or, at least, I haven't figured out how to make it.) Document Scanner - Simple Scan as-was - works great for the ADF, though: it just scanned two A4 pages, double-sided, full colour, 300dpi, in about ten seconds(!)

EDIT EDIT:
    74 sheets of loose-leaf document, scanned at 300dpi in two batches. Total time: about a minute and a half. Noice.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    Ta-da! (I need to go back and correct the publication date, once the derivation task has finished...)

Last edited: 7 Sep 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I thought you meant to lotus driving games. Lol

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

DO IT. A great model for a good price. Just be aware that you HAVE to align the universal joints for the gearbox correctly, or it doesn't work properly.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Oxford Mondail jacket and trousers.

[​IMG]

Goatee and Byron C like this.
  14. perplekks45

I'm about half-way through the build and I'll double-check later. I think I aligned everything correctly.... do you have pictures or a video of how it's supposed to look/work?

15. Gareth Halfacree

Should be writing my last two articles of the day, but couldn't resist feeding something through the scanner again:

upload_2020-9-7_18-10-23.png

That is 54cm wide, that is. Fed through in one go, scanned both sides simultaneously (only one side shown) at 600dpi full colour. Took about 20 seconds, maybe 30. Actual scanned image is 12,775x3250(!)

Happy with that!

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Gareth, stop playing around putting your thing in other things and finish your homework.

Get to your room, now!

Tsk, kids.

Arboreal, enbydee, BeauchN and 3 others like this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

EDIT: Effing Youtube codes!

perplekks45 likes this.
  18. perplekks45

So, after checking everything... There is something wrong with it. Now I'll have to take it all apart and start again. I just spent an hour trying to locate the issue, but couldn't find it.

Well, I do enjoy the build process a lot, so it's not all bad.

Pete J likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You have to be very fastidious at all stages - make sure all axles are running as freely as they can (in addition to ensuring correct alignment of the joints). Truth be told, I'm a little surprised Lego allowed it as it's more akin to an MOC style build.

If you still have bad luck, consider the Pimp up my Land Rover MOC. It removes the main cause of the potential problem (the universal joints) - probably how Lego should've done it in the first place!

perplekks45 likes this.
  20. perplekks45

It definitely is a very serious bit of kit and I'll quadruple-check every part now. :grin:

Thanks for the link and let's see if I can get this baby rolling the proper way before I consider the MOC. MOCs might be the way forward, though, in the long run.

Pete J likes this.