1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I had something that size 3D printed in stainless, cost about £25

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Moonstone: A Hard Day's Knight is now on GOG.com. Boxed copies sell for £300 upwards; the download is a fiver.

moonstone.jpg
    Plays nicely with my tweaked DOSbox install!

EDIT:
    This is why I use my DOSbox rather than the bundled DOSbox, incidentally:

moonstone2.jpg

You were never meant to see individual pixels, man!

Last edited: 22 Jan 2021
    Byron C and The_Crapman like this.
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A quick Sketchup model in Shapeways is wanting €156 for producing in brass, based on no measurements at all and only some guessing that that's 25mm strap.

Yeah, Shapeways want about €40 for the rough model I made..

The EOS M400 Titanium printer is a steal at ~$1,000,000 based on information I can find.

4. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Surely there is enough people on here with CNC mills and the knowledge to use one to be able to knock up something?

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not being a smartass, or at least not trying to be one: couldn't you just have bought a third party strap for less?

I mean, I know the feeling all too well. Getting a replacement strap for my Mido would be a costly nightmare, too. And let's not even talk about the ratio between price of watch to price of strap with Garmin.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yes, absolutely. But as it's a nice watch with good resale value I wanted to make sure that if I do decide to sell it on it has the correct parts in good order.

Metal straps can usually be polished out, rubber is tough but less forgiving of damage.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That definitely makes sense then. I was thinking solely about personal use.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Treated myself to a couple of 1/32 agricultural models, which I've been meaning to do for quite some time now. I got a Wiking Fendt 939 Vario, and a Universal Hobbies Lemken Euro Titan plough. Both excellent models in their own right, and together they make an impressive display piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm impressed at the level of detail. Do these models tend to cost a fair bit?

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@Pete J not really - the tractor was £60 delivered, and the plough I got on ebay for much the same. I guess it depends what you consider expensive, but for diecast this is very much on the cheaper end of the scale IMO. 1:50 crane models are considerably more expensive, with the smallest ones usually starting at £100 and the bigger ones ramping up to £1K.

Pete J likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Apple TV 4K

[​IMG]

Was planning to get one of these to coincide with the upcoming TV upgrade, but a friend of the other half was getting rid of their hardly-used unit - sure, I'll happily save 2/3rds of the cost, thankyouverymuch!

The only thing I miss from the Shield is volume control. The remote can be programmed to control the TV or an AV receiver, but you can't change the 'system' volume; Android TV (or at least the Shield) has the ability to turn the volume up or down if you're not connected to a 5.1 receiver, much like the volume control in Windows... The Apple TV doesn't seem to do that, which is annoying: I'm using an amp which doesn't have remote volume control...

I bought the Shield 4 years ago in readiness for getting a 4K TV, and now that I come to actually getting a 4K TV I find out that there are newer HDR standards which it doesn't support.... :wallbash: I'm getting a TV that has Dolby Vision IQ so it was between this and the Fire cube thing. Both of us have iPhones and that's unlikely to ever change, so the tighter integration between Apple products made it no choice at all really.

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Some shorts, because I haven't worn trousers for more than a couple of days in the past year;

[​IMG]

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

@Byron C, I bought a Samsung 50" Series 7 the other year which has an Apple TV app, I can Airplay from my iPad, iPhone and Macbook. Can I ask, why would you buy an apple TV? I've not done the whole Apple TV thing in a good few years so please forgive my ignorance if it does something I don't know about.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Mostly because it supports Dolby Vision, which my 2017 Shield cannot do, and I'm planning to get a TV that supports Dolby Vision (and Dolby Vision IQ). The 2019 Shield also apparently supports Dolby Vision and it's roughly the same price as the Apple TV 4K, but iPhone + Apple TV box is a much better integration than iPhone + any variant of Android TV.

I'd have been happy enough to use the TV apps for the time being and sort out a replacement streaming box "eventually"... but I was offered a barely-used Apple TV 4K for £60 instead of £180. Not gonna turn that down! :grin:

Cookie Monster likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

IMHO, the only reason for owning an Apple TV is "For All Mankind", season 2 of which begins Feb 19th

goldstar0011 likes this.
  16. liratheal

A diddy projector, for the jacket project. I may be confident free-handing stuff on a 28mm scale, but a cockup on a human scale item will be far, far, more noticeable.
    A bunch of leather paint for the same
    Various material supplies like thread and elastic and interlining for the same.
    Resin for the ol' 3D printer, because there's so much to print..
    3D Models for printing, because yes, I do need a miniature version of the Metal Gear Solid 2 Big Shell. And yes, I do need the Kuchi Kopi model. Same for the T-800 head that's in multiple parts.

Edit: Upon investigating the size of the Big Shell model, it is.. not as little as I'd expected. ~50-60cm all told,whiiich means I now need a tiny harrier and I'm probably going to be building a full on diorama 'cause I still have a bunch of water effects stuff.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2021
  17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I still need to print this after buying it ages ago:-

[​IMG]
    https://www.leavon.co.uk/online-store/Lone-Wolf-and-Cub-STL-p165053549

Pete J likes this.
  18. liratheal

That's not a bad model, that.

Sadly, I had a backlog of things to print even before I had a printer.. It's only getting larger as time goes by.

I'm really looking forward to the T-800 bust, because it's all in pieces, even individual teeth, so painting it and lighting it is going to be awesome fun.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The Lone Wolf & Cub model is in pieces too, but only 10 parts, and it's not pre-supported.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Meant to mention this sooner! Which visual filter is that on the first screenshot? I don't know much about DOSBox, but that first screenshot looks like a damn good scanline filter.