1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Little bit of rendering, surfacing moulds, processing tool paths (some of which are 36hours of machining), Video editing 4-8kg footage, games, and it generally being awesome :).

KayinBlack likes this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's some heavy footage there.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I use my Microsoft version of that thing so often it's actually mental. Brilliant thing to have kicking about.

b1g-d0g and adidan like this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Gransfors splitting maul, TBH it's a touch on the heavy side but I wanted something that could drive a wedge. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

IanW, Vault-Tec, perplekks45 and 4 others like this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Those are beautifully made and fscking sharp!

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Little bit harder on skulls but I'm sure you'll get there!

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[​IMG]

I am downloading more RAM. It isn't needed, but MOAR RAM!

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No such thing! It's essential headroom.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Boring mundane stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the fans in my other half's machine is not sounding particularly healthy, so taking the time to upgrade her from the stock cooler as well.

Nearly pulled the trigger on a 3060Ti for her machine as well... Maybe after Christmas...

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You somehow mis-clicked when ordering the Noctua stuff, mate.

Arboreal, Weekly_Estimate and Byron C like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly for the kit in my other half's machine Noctua isn't worth the cost. It's only an i5 12400F and a 1060 6GB - pretty easy as far as cooling goes. TBH even the stock cooler is doing an adequate job right now.

Noctua is worth it in my machine however :grin:.

David, perplekks45 and Arboreal like this.
  12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As far as I can see, Arctic have upped their quality and are a lot better than they were.
    I'll be using some of their 120mm slims and other 120s in my forthcoming build.
    The slim 140s I used the other month are quiet and felt well made.

13. Vault-Tec

Yeah agreed. I used to buy the white fans with the black frames and man, they were flimsy. The wires were also like hair.

Their new slim line fans are certainly much beefier and much better IMO.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly I've never had much of an issue with Arctic coolers or fans. They're definitely not a premium brand, but they're "good enough".

And while I can easily justify why a GPU upgrade for her machine will cost ~£450, I would struggle to justify Noctua fans at £20-£30 a pop when "it's just a fan!" :grin:

EDIT: Also, Scan are not messing around at this time of year. Ordered about an hour ago and it's already been boxed up ready for collection by DPD.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I had an email this morning from Overclockers, saying the cutoff for Xmas Eve deliveries was 2pm today, so you probably just slipped in under the wire. :thumb:

Byron C likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Saw the same thing on the OCUK website, but that only affects certain postcodes apparently. For the rest I think the cut off is the 21st.

IanW likes this.
  17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Since I lack an FDM printer, I ordered a bunch of parts to be printed in ABS so I can start building my own Thing model.

However, because I'm a glutton for punishment, the parts are from the Brunel Hand 2.0, the open source bionic hand that is no longer in a purchasable state.

I have also found that the linear actuator they spec for use in their build instructions (Actuonix PQ12-P) has an alternative model, the PQ-63-6-R. Which means it can be controlled by the Actuonix controller, which if I'm not a complete dipshit about, should be operable by a battery, which in turn means I can install wireless charging, and with any luck, I can include this in what would be the 'wrist' of Thing.

I picked the Brunel Hand over other, likely easier, hand designs because it had quiet-ish linear actuators rather than micro servos which, based on the T-800 build, are loud as ****. Which is fine for a Terminator, but less fine for a hand. Also, bulky because I'd need to mount them in specific ways - And most of the people who animated the fingers of the other hand builds I found, mounted them in the forearm, which Thing doesn't have.

Which means I should be able to have a waving, potentially middle-finger raising, Thing.

Once it's all together I need to work out how I'm going to do the skin - I'm thinking Foam Latex, from a mould of my own hand. I think I can print some finger and thumb nails too as I have some spare clear resin.

This project is far, far, too expensive for what it is. But. As mentioned, glutton for punishment.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2022
  18. Vault-Tec

I ordered some WC parts from OCUK a few days back. I got in before the 19th, but nothing happened. Ugh. Then today I got the DPD noti, yay.

I mean not that it mattered or anything considering I have a million things to do before I even pick up a water fitting any way.

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

DPD are in my bad books at the moment.

They've had our uncooked ham since Saturday so if it ever does arrive it won't be safe and a little piggy died for absolutely no reason - that annoys the hell out of me.

20. Vault-Tec

*burp that was delicious*

Sorry did I ever tell you I work for DPD?

IanW and adidan like this.