Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

I know, but I'm cheap and this was £160.00. You can daisy chain several enclosures though...

Through a standard SAS Host Bus Adapter (I've ordered an LSI 9207-e) and an external SAS cable. My TrueNAS server should then see the drives as available if all goes well! The drives are formatted in 520-bit sectors according to the internet but nothing a low level format can't fix.

[​IMG]

Arboreal, IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

15 x these would've been "go big", I think.

[​IMG]

Arboreal, IanW and Idioteque like this.
  3. Idioteque

A rather large Plex library and system backups for the main computers in the house currently take up 15TB out of 18TB current storage. This would give a bit more headroom.

A man can dream... Anyone got a spare £6k?

Last edited: 9 Jun 2024
    perplekks45, IanW and adidan like this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

iirc, you need a couple of SAS cards with external ports

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I started with something similar - A home-made file server in a 3U case with 16 hotswap bays, each filled with a 3TB HDD in RAIDZ2 (Software RAID6 for the non ZFS users).
    The same case now only has 8 occupied bays, but they're all 16TB drives! :worried:
    It simply runs Ubuntu Server and sits on my LAN for my PCs & Plex clients to see.

Idioteque likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C asphinctersayswhat

That's remarkably cheap for just the drives... Last Feb I picked up 7x 4TB drives and they were £245 in total...

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Started picking up my new (at least new to me...) access point(s), a Ruckus R600 which I shall be running unleashed:

[​IMG]

In theory I should only need the one for a pretty standard sized 3 bed semi. However, our house is made of reinforced concrete - 10" thick outer walls and 4" inner walls all with rebar in which means that I have been running 3 Google mesh routers. I am hoping that the Ruckus will be able to be OK by itself, but I can grab another for downstairs if this is not good enough.

This one only cost me £36 with postage so we shall see how it all goes. Of course I would have liked one of the newer models, but there is a significant jump in price even just going up to the 610 model. I am trying to redo my network bits very much on a budget and so far I have:

Fujitsu S920 - this will be an Opnsense or PFsense router as it has an additional 4 port gigabit card in and I have put in a cheap SSD. got this for £87 plus another £20 or so for a little SSD.
    TP Link TL-SG1008P 8-port gigabit switch with 4 of those being poe which is how I shall be powering the access point(s) - This ended up costing me a tenner plus another £21 for a replacement 48v power supply.

I have a line on some surplus CAT6 solid copper cable that will be the main links to the various rooms and I also already have a couple of small gigabit switches that will work if I need to break out any more connections at the ends of the main routes.

We only have 260/30 Mbps on our internet connection so nothing too drastic needed but the CAT6 should give me enough headroom without have to replace everything should I upgrade later on. I shall be running everything through surface conduit anyway as there is no way that I am chasing into concrete walls all over the place.

And everything will be sitting in the old airing cupboard now that we no longer have the water tanks in there and have plenty of space roughly in the centre upstairs of the house. I shall be putting my little server in there too. There is enough power options coming in there as well so no worries on that.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

They're ****ing ace. They're really light, absurdly so, which led me to believe that the battery life would be ****. Over the weekend they've done at least 15hours without being returned to their charging pod. Can't really find fault in the sound quality, streaming from YouTube music so not exactly demanding, maybe a touch less bass but that could be just from the eq of whatever album or track i'm listening to. Just checked and the eq on my phone was set to normal ie flat, which would explain it.

Only fault I can really give it is that the chunky bits with the battery and receiver have a habit of coming off, but mostly my fault. Have just spent 8 odd hours sanding down the lounge and been taking goggles and respirator on and off and for the most part they've stayed in place, unless I've tangled them.

Oh and there's a bit of lag while watching talking. I haven't installed the app which might be required to inform the phone of whatever codex they supposedly have. Will give that a whirl I a bit and see how they do on the commute.

9. The_Crapman

perplekks45, wolfticket and adidan like this.
  10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I hope we see this in the Hardware / NAS thread

11. Idioteque

It certainly was a bargain seeing as the enclosure goes for £50 without any caddies. The same seller's got another listed for £324 so I reckon I've taken advantage of a misprice.

You certainly will, just had a shiny new (to me anyway) Dell R230 delivered to set up this week. Hopefully it will make my setup a lot more power efficient and gives me the opportunity to transition to TrueNAS Scale, as much as I dislike the prospect.

Byron C likes this.
  12. veato

veato I should be working

b1g-d0g, SuperHans123 and The_Crapman like this.
  13. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

Nice.!
    I just have 2*16tb, 2*14tb, and 1*12tb on my 5900x.
    Wondered if I needed a hba...or one of these

Idioteque likes this.
  14. walle

walle Modder

[​IMG]

Some more Klein tools.

15. The_Crapman

Don't look that small to me.... :eyebrow:

perplekks45, adidan, IanW and 2 others like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C asphinctersayswhat

:duh:

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very nice, which wheel do you use? Considering a replacement for my ancient Logitech so I can play on PS5 again

18. veato

veato I should be working

I'm using a TS-XW at the minute with a TM Open Wheel rim and T-LCM pedals.

Yaka and Krikkit like this.
  19. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Daughter has spent a fortune on her rig for racing, fanatic, the new F1 games not playing to well with it.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pre-ordered Lian-Li's SUP-01 case, simply because the layout intrigues me.
    Now, I'm waiting for a white RTX5090 & reverse connector X870E motherboard to magically appear.

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec, Yaka, perplekks45 and 2 others like this.