1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li PC-P50 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/05/29/lian-li-pc-p50-review/1

We're looking at another aluminium entry from the Taiwanese chassis builders of excellence, Lian Li. With two 140mm fans in the roof and an entirely tooless installation system, the PC-P50 has potential, but how does it compare with the likes of the Antec's Nine Hundred Two?

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

The penguin slide! Now that was awesome. Will b-t be reviewing it too? ;)

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

This is what the 900 should have been

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now that is a very nice case, I would not hesitate in buying one. Much nicer than the plastastic Antec 900.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

two typos when refereing to the Antec 900
    and again in the last paragraph.

Nice review though ;)

6. Sifter3000

Fixed :D

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

"Value and Final Thoughts
    The most obvious rival for the PC-P50 to pin down to the count of three, is the Antec Nice Hundred Two. "

Antec Nice Hundred Two :) good name for good case

8. Sifter3000

This is what happens when you're editing content and you're going to Computex in under 24 hours and still have about 4,000 words for your own article to write :S

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've been wondering (and the pictures in the article don't really show the right angle), what's the possibilities for mounting a radiator in the case roof, just under the top fans?
    Is there enough room between the roof and the top of the motherboard, and is there anywhere a dual 120mm rad could be mounted?

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If I ever want something bigger than my PC-A06B, this will be it!

11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Yeh, shame this wasn't available a month go, i'd had taken this over antec 902 I bought back then. It's been a great case otherwise but the top is hideous:(

12. bowman

bowman Minimodder

'Why Lian Li thought it would be a good idea to make a PC case shaped like a hotel shaped like a sail remains a mystery.'

Once every 6 months they take their best engineers and give them acid then lock them in a room. Some times it results in genius, other times it results in things like this.

13. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

An interesting experiment you might want to try is to turn one or both of the 140mm fans arround to be intakes (like the Silverstone Fortress). I've done this in a PC-A17 which is closely related and saw a 5'C drop in CPU temp (with a TRUE)! Not too nice on the dust front though.

They only thing I can think of that detract from its good looks are the front panel ports. They are Antec 900 ugly and dust prone. The A17 packs in more ports and covers them with a dust flap. Lian-Li really dropped the ball here (more so or a 'premium' product).

Larger photos and a upwards shot of the interior would be nice.

14. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
  15. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Shame they didnt include one of their HDD mount kits... 3 hard drives really isnt enough.

I have.... 9 in my PC-A77 at the moment, with a HUGE amount of room to spare. I think that case with the top of the pc-p50 would be pretty interesting. The top panel of the pc-A77 is probably its weakest part.... the buttons arent great, the flap hiding the ports arent great, and there are no fans at the top.

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

9 hard drives? Is it a server you want or a standard desktop/gaming case? With 1TB and bigger drives available today, I see no need for large HD cases anymore. Unless it's for business applications/server type stuff than 4TB with 1 SSD/or High Speed Boot Drive is more than enough for the home environment. If not, get a NAS. . .

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Another great read; the review was very thorough as usual. I really like this chassis, but that's not unusual considering my gravitation towards LiLi's work. I'm not sold on the 'toolless' crap though. I'm a modder who likes to use tools, so little latches and crap like that make it annoying, lol. I like a simple set of screws holding a drive in, not some finicky piece of plastic and/or metal, but that's personal preference, of course. I'd gladly choose this over the (probably obvious) competitor Antec's 902, simply because I hate steel. ;)

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I miss wATX or rather reverse ATX cases, those are always my favorite.

19. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

I have to say I disagree with most of what you said about updating the testing procedure. Heat is heat no matter what components are used to generate it. Having passive cooled hardware is a bonus because it reflects the work done by the case and not by the internal component's fans. BUT I do agree with you (kinda) about graphics cards. One of my biggest concerns when buying a case is if these increasing long graphics cads will fit. Maybe I won't buy one now but I'd feel better if in the future I decide to upgrade and knew what limitations are on my graphics card's manliness.

Anyways good review

Last edited: 29 May 2009
  20. UnFixed

UnFixed Unknown

FYI, link to Lian-Li website is spelled wrong. Bad link.

Tags: Add Tags