1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for new RTS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by terrorbyt, 19 May 2012.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

if you like, i can add you in game and we could do some comp stomping ?

there is a group of us that regularly play online ( myself cei, zinfandel among others )

although if your looking for a space RTS
    star wars empire at war is a game i installed ages ago but havent really played much
    looks good tho

2. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

THE_EVIL_RAPIER What's a Dremel?

Sins of a solar empire - beta is available on steam and includes all the content from the previous games and more new stuff.

Personally if you're after a space strategy game, then i can't offer a better option.
    I have put too many hours into it.:thumb:

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Isn't the beta only available if you buy it? If not how do you get access plx? :D

As to Armada 2, no idea where to get it from. Maybe a reseller off amazon, ebay etc. I don't remember it needing to be registered to work, so a second hand CD key should be ok. Actually it's £32 off amazon.

I'm really enjoying Sword of the Stars 1 at the moment, but if you got for it, there are 3 expansions, and I think there is one pack that's like complete, but misses out the last expansion.

Edit: Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity is on offer on steam for £6.50. I believe Rebellion will have all the content Trinity has though, plus more

Last edited: 20 May 2012
  4. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I'm sorry I don't really understand the difference between all of the Sins of a solar empire... like the difference between Trinity & Rebellion?

5. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

SOASE = Base game.:rock:
    SOASE Entrenchment = Expansion.:thumb:
    SOASE Diplomacy = Expansion.:D
    SOASE Trinity = All three of above.:jawdrop: (not worth it now because..)

SOASE Rebellion = Base game, Entrenchment, Diplomacy and rebellion expansions. lol.

The base game won many awards and had great reviews.
    Entrenchment added new technologies and the ability to build GBFO (great big f*** off) starbases
    Diplomacy adds just that. New strategies to work with enemies, backstab them etc.
    Rebellion adds even more technologies more new ships and the ability to build GBFO Titan clas ships. lol

This game is amazingly well supported and even the base game was / is still getting updates or balancing patches. The online Multiplayer was pretty slow but that has changed since it went to steam and should change more when it comes out of BETA.

In my opinion this is The. Must Have. Space RTS if you like this sort of thing.
    This link is FMV Trailer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0aMApQCfU&hd=1

This Vid is not FMV. That is in game video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdgP-1qPjNk&hd=1

Hope this helps mate.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Homeworld 1 and 2 :p

7. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

Are pretty much the same as sins.
    I've played both and i admit Homeworld is an awesome game but (personally) i think sins wins slightly.

But believe me i'm not taking anything away from Homeworld. I loved them too.:waah:

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Cataclysm was the best of the HW games in my own opinion, it at least had some variety between factions and you had those great big Star cannons! The infected race were great fun in MP. HW2, whilst pretty just didn't have anything too special. The only differences between the factions was that one side used lasers, the other used torpedoes.

I think I still have Cataclysm lying around here somewhere.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Never played HW1, but I enjoyed HW2.

Also Ziip has Dawn of War 1 for £3, and 2 of it's expansions for £3 and £5, missing Dark Crusade though, so my Tau and Necrons are missing :(

10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Lol I'll remember that one. Yeah that helped a lot thanks, Sins Trinity is only £6.49 so shouldn't I just get that? Or should I just buy Rebellion?

Anno 2090 is 50% off today too :/

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, don't I feel like I've just been dumped on. I bought the Trinity pack on sale thinking the other was either a sequel or an expansion. Turns out it's got this lot in it. Badly advertised, in my opinion. I feel cheated. I guess I'll wait until the next sale for Rebellion then, rather than give them the price they ask. Bad form.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If it makes you feel any better, I bought Trinity full price about 3 weeks ago! (well, still only £13 so can't really complain)

14. THE_EVIL_RAPIER

I would buy Rebellion if you can.

Yeah they really should of made that more clear. I think you get a discount if you already have trinity but yeah, sorry it would of been cheaper just getting rebellion.:sigh:

Here's a link to Pre-order rebellion. And gain access to the BETA. Although it's only a $10 discount if you own another SINS game.
    http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/preorder

You will need to login/create an account there. Although it looks like you can no longer get the base game on it's own. Unless you find it retail maybe? So you would need to buy trinity to get the discount.
    Not worth it for you terrorbyt, but may be of intrest to you Phalanx.
    Good luck.:thumb:

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Throwing in my own suggestions, I think they're all already named:

-Total Annihilation. Yeah, old, but too good not to mention in an RTS thread.
    -Supreme Commander. Some purists say it's not as good as TA, but even then it's above most other games.
    -Supreme Commander 2. Even though it has the same name this is a very different game! My suggestion is to not play it with SC1 or TA in mind and simply play it as its own game. It's far more enjoyable that way.
    -Company of Heroes. Another very fun game, unique unit control system, despite being WWII it has an enjoyable story.
    -Dawn of War II. Same (similar?) engine as Company of Heroes, but in the Warhammer 40K universe and greater emphasis on heroes.
    -World in Conflict. Again a more unique take on the RTS genre in the way you control and deploy units. Great story, too. The Russians invading the US, oh my!

17. Durd

Durd Minimodder

The RTS genre seems to be almost dead. I think the fact they don't translate well to consoles means most developers are just overlooking them.

You mentioned you played AoE III, but did you ever play II, or Age of Mythology? Warcraft III and Rise of Nations are good fun too. :)

18. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i disagree. It's a genre of quality instead of quantity unlike shooters and RPG that are more of a dime-a-dozen variety.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Agreed! Very annoying since RTS is basically my favourite genre!

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Wargames: European Escalation seems to be a very pretty ******* child of Ground Control and Sudden Strike. Foaming at the mouth to get my hands on it, but waiting for it to be back in stock with the gamestore (also need to keep money for Prometheus release).

The RTS market is not flooded with titles, but considering how many hours can be lost to them, I rather a drip-feed than a gorging.