1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for new RTS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by terrorbyt, 19 May 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sorry, but this anti-console bull on these forums is getting really annoying. Every single thread ends up bashing consoles, blaming them for basically everything.

RTS games aren't dead - CoH2 is on the way, and we've had plenty of releases in the last year. It just so happens that an amazing game only comes along every so often, which is how it has always been, and there simply hasn't been a fantastic RTS for a while.

RTS games have never been produced in the same numbers as, say, FPS titles, or RPGs. That's just how it is.

Bede likes this.
  2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, with good reason. The effect of consoles on PC gaming has not been a good thing. Hardly surprising when you look at what a console is and what kind of games it has. Very limited controls mean it's designed largely for dumb games. Take a look at the controller that comes with a console. I started out interested in consoles some years ago but gradually have come to detest them. If one of the big console makers had created a console with a keyboard and mouse then things might have been different. Sony gave so much pre-release BS before the PS3 was released saying it was going to do more than just gaming. You know what ****s me off? Every time I see a new game review on Bit tech and then see "xbox360". How sad.

If you love your xbox then go play on it.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

aaaand back to bashing console again. even though the RTS genre has nothing to do with consolification.

well, okay, there is heavy consolification on DoW2 and CnC4. but my point is all RTS games that take a traditional approach (base building + army building) is unaffected. so i actually agree with Cei, why does every thread descend into console bashing?

drip-feed of good RTS games is how PC games are supposed to be played. i remember how i've spent hours on one level Homeworld trying to capture a fleet of 100 ion frigates. and how i've also spent many hours on one level of Company of Heroes trying to clear the king tiger level with a single pershing tank. (or was it the king tiger expansion pack, with king tiger?)

Homeworld wouldn't be the classic it is now, if it gets released as often as Battlefield. as much as i love that series, im happy with it staying as a memory.

back on topic, Star Wars Empire at War is also a great little game. love destroying planets with my death star :D

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Wargame: European Escalation is recent and got some good reviews. I like the graphics. Said to be a tough game.

One shop selling it at £15.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Wargame is seemingly awesome, but hard as hell if you muck up your tactics.

Leepants (from ZiiP) has been lathering posts up in our RTS section with tips and experiences and whatnot and it really does sound awesome.

Nice to see something that genuinely gives you a challenge and makes you think about your units, resupplies, tactics, overall strategy etc.

Consoles have diddly squat to do with RTS in my opinion, in fact I was rather happy to see them being attempted on consoles, like Supreme Commander and Halo Wars. Set a challenge with the interface at least :) Not going to continue that topic any further myself.

If there ever was to be another Homeworld game, I really really would like to see a bigger differentiation between factions. Sins of a Solar Empire has it to an extent, but it's mainly visual and how some of the larger ships work. It's nice to have races/factions that play distinctly different to one another, it allows for variety in tactics. SupCom had this, though not massively between the 3 they had. UEF could arc shots over terrain whereas Cybran used lasers which fired in a straight line; place your Tier 2 Point-Defence turrets in the wrong spot and you'll get mullered and overrun in no time.

CoH2 should be very interesting, but also as it's probably going to be the same engine as they will use for DoW3, should it be released. I actually preferred DoW2 over DoW1 in many respects, I think I preferred the RPG elements in it more.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Eww no. I didn't even feel like I was playing an RTS game. I really hope COH2 doesn't go this way (though I think they might be)

Wargame BTW, uses a modified version of Ruses engine.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Relic were definitely experimenting with different scales of control in the expansions for CoH.

I don't think I'm alone in saying I can't wait until you leave these forums..

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

You're never alone when your best friend is a fluffy toy.

I thought you were leaving first?

You will never make me one of you. I refuse to hold a gamepad.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, COH2 is using the engine being used for DoW3, which from what Relic have said, is a hybrid of the DoW1/CoH and DoW2 engines. Should make for some epic battles if you ask me.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Been many years since I played a DOW. I liked it though. COH I will be playing soon again.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I liked both DoW1 and DoW2 and I'm glad the games were different. It felt like I got more than just the same game with a graphics update. Pros and cons to both game styles, but both fun :p

There was console bashing? :confused:

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

[​IMG]

The console bashing is quite shocking and I advise anyone who is easily disturbed to look away or leave the forum.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Exactly! :thumb:

Dow1 was great fun and I liked Dark Crusade the most out of all of it, especially with the global campaign map with my relentless horde of Necrons. Dawn of War 2 allowed me to have a customised fighting unit slaughter their way through the enemy how I wanted to. True it was less RTS than it was RPG, but great fun. Love them both for different reasons I guess. Bringing Avitus through the DoW2 campaign to wreak havoc and destruction to all was just too much fun :D

It will be interesting to see what kind of direction they will take DoW3 in.

I would like to see another Supreme Commander, or perhaps an expansion again, but without the simplified economy model from no. 2.

14. Phalanx

I need to play these still. Who knows, some day I might buy the both of them in a Steam sale... Oh hello, summer sale! :D

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

If you liked Total Annihilation, just get SupCom: Forged Alliance. To hell with SupCom 2, it pales in comparison, whilst still being a reasonable RTS in its own right.

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Sup comm is often on sale at steam and also greenman sometimes. Then again it should be cheap on amazon too.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I am disgusted no one has mentioned Mech Commander.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Hehe, still play it on a weekly basis. Managed to get a MadCat in the 3rd mission, now decked out with quad PPC cannons :D

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

what difficulty setting do you play it on? I've never had the MC as salvage.

i remember there being a patch to give it to players starting out as they cried so hard at its insane difficulty. pussies.

20. Phalanx

If it was in a Steam sale, I've probably try it, Gunny :)