1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for new RTS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by terrorbyt, 19 May 2012.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I think I have it on normal. Mission 3, run a fast Mech down to the SE before the airstrikes hit, drop some arty on the MadCat and detonate the fuel tanks beside it, it makes it a lot easier. I think I did it about 3 times before I managed to salvage it.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its never been in a steam sale because its COMPLETELY FREE!

after MS took over the IP and ran it into the ground (**** you MW4) they gave MW4 and MC:G away for free.

oh and lookie what we have here.

Mechcommander Gold is Mechcommander and its expansion pack; Desperate Measures rolled into one, it has a few new interface tweaks as well as introducing EASY and NORMAL difficulty modes as well as the originals default difficulty: HARD.

3. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Relic made the right move by doing a massive redesign in gameplay for DOW2. DOW1 had 3 expansions and a ton of content. I'd say it is a "complete" game and doesn't need to be rehashed with prettier graphics.

I wouldn't say it's "less rts" at all mate. The reason it gets that a lot is because relic removed the base building so that the combat and micro-management of abilities is the focus. Base building slows the pace down.

I hope Company of Heroes 2 keeps the scale relatively similar to the first and doesn't change it to the massive battle nonsense i've heard people ask for. The combat should be on a "company" level as was the first.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

the only issue i had with supreme commander is the unfinished ( read broken ) engine the game runs on, the AI doesnt end a script for units that have died ( and that happens alot ) combine that with an insane pop cap, and the game visibly slows down ( your fps stays up, but an hour in real life might end up being 20 in game mins) as the processor litterally has thousends ( sometimes tens or even hundreds of thousands of open unit scrips )
    other than that it is one of the greatest games of all time

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Yeah, the original was not an optimised engine, my older machine struggled with the larger games with an 8800 GTS 512. Runs pretty smooth on a 5870 for myself, though I tend not to play the 81x81 maps as I hate Naval units. They just do my head in! I'm all about the horde of Monkeylords sneaking in under radar backed up with minions for beautiful laser death :D

AI was never a strong point with it either, but most of the time I play it, it's with mates. I think we had a 4-way game that went on for 6 hours. 8 hours was the record for us in TA.

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i always found graphics was almost never the bottleneck in supcom, for most people it was simply the cpu load
    i love naval units on most maps opens up so many ultra stratagies ( like massed tactical missiles backed up my 3 of them nuke subs misslies = almost guerentied hit

pretty much my entire reason to move to this processor, and a big reason to move to sandy bridge ;)

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

There is a CPU optimiser for SupCom called "Core Maximiser" which made the game use multithreading far more effectively and helped to alleviate any CPU bottlenecks in it. Made MASSIVE differences to my games.

Rapidshare download Link: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|2...ip|460|R~31ED51DDB0DEE3F28EFA45F4E6FB8100|0|0

Main thing that put me off naval units was hunting the final remnants of the bastids in TA! I could never find the little gits and it put me off in SupCom too :)
    Tactical nuclear submarines though were incredible. Sneak a few of them through defensive lines and your away singing!

2 of the best memories I have of TA though, are a horde of 20 Krogoths being annihilated by a vulcan opening fire on them as they advanced (in single bloody file... thank you poor pathfinding) on the enemy base. Chain reaction as the first one detonated. The other being a Necrobot (reanimates destroyed units in Core Contingency) sitting with a Krogoth that was defending a beachhead single-handedly. "Revived" him 4 times to hold the beach against a huge swarm of Gimps (amphibious K-bots) was storming in. Final kill tally was something like 700 for the Krogoth.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I never knew. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i highly recommend looking for the manual, theres no tutorial and you'll be overwhelmed a little.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Once myself and my friends stopped playing company of heroes, world in conflict, dawn of war retribition and sins of a solar empire nearly a year ago now, we were left with a propper rts void. none on us were fans of supreme commander, or the newer c&c games, starcraft 2, while having a good sp campaign none of us were fans of the mp. we recently picked up wargames european escalation and so far, so good. also with sins rebellion round the corner and company of heroes 2 in 2013 its looking good for the RTS.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

C&C always felt like a kiddy version of an RTS to me. Hated the closeup graphics and the gameplay.

Wasn't impressed by starcraft either but then no surprise considering who made it.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The last good C&C game was Generals - which is why I'm hoping they won't make a hash of Generals II. Again, out in 2013 I think, so a good year indeed if everything goes to plan.

Can anybody with experience give a brief run-down of Wargames: EE?

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

WOOHOO! ZiiP now has Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion now on their Gamestore.

I knew this was something that was on the table, but didn't know it would go through! Huzzah!

Order in! :D

14. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

I own Wargame EE.

It's ok but my patience with it is wearing thin. It's definitely not a game for everyone! If you just want some fun then I think other RTS's are more suited, Wargame is slower and not as fun to watch, but it provides the kind of gameplay you can't really get anywhere else.

So basically it's an RTS but the 'map' is gigantic. Supreme Commander might have seemed big, but the areas in this game are many times larger. The graphics are good too, so it's almost like looking down on a huge area of Europe. You can zoom all the way out and you get a very high up view with icons and things marking controlled areas etc. and then you can zoom all the way in to grass level, and the game looks amazing like this! But sadly, you really need to spend all your time zoomed out quite far so you can keep control of everything... so you hardly ever get a chance to get the enjoyment from the good looking action :(

You then capture areas and your points start building up, and you can spend these points on lots of different units. And there are LOTS to choose from. There are maybe 20 different kinds of infantry men, a dozen tanks, several artillery, some anti air units, several choppers etc.. The game is pure strategy, you have to have a few recon units keeping an eye on your flanks, and one out front watching what is coming straight for you. Then you need a bunch of tanks to draw attention from the enemy and to lay the smack down to most attackers. Then you have some tank destroyer units behind those. Then you need some anti air to protect the tanks from gunships. And then you have some artillery at the back. When you take a new part of the map, you often need to leave stuff behind and you have to defend and attack at the same time which is hard.

Your units run out of petrol and ammo too, so you have to call in supply trucks or choppers and these often need to be protected too.

It sounds epic, and in some ways it is, and I was having an absolute blast with it for the first few days. But eventually it all just become too much for me. There is too much focus on the infantry, and basically your tanks get smacked down pretty easily, your artillery is very hit and miss, gunships are pretty much hopeless and are mainly suited to just disrupting attackers while your tanks do all the work etc.. The key unit to the whole game is the little men, and to me that makes it quite boring. They move slowly, they are not good to look at, they are no fun to use, you have to leave them hidden in trees etc..

It's almost like a distant cousin of World in Conflict, and they are both on the extreme ends of the spectrum unfortunately... World in Conflict is such a beautiful game, and you get such a great view of the battles, exciting to watch, fun to play, and everything seems to work well too - gunships beat hell out of ground units, tanks blast hell out of other vehicles nicely, artillery is mostly accurate and effective and extremely satisfying too! All unlike Wargame.... But unfortunately the maps are far smaller, and you only ever get to control very small squads. You have just a bunch of choppers, or just a bunch of tanks... and that's it. If you want to have a whole army then you can only really have 1 or 2 choppers, and 1 or 2 tanks, and a few men and 1 artillery etc.. Such a shame imo. Wargame is the extreme opposite of that. You can have 20 tanks, 20 choppers, 6 artillery, 10 recon units, several support, a dozen infantry etc.. all far more satisfying, and huge maps. But then you don't get the eye candy, there are no "tactical aids" so you dont get the fun and satisfaction of calling in air strikes and carpet bombs and nukes, and there is less satisfaction in the battles too because it's never really your squad of tanks vs the enemy's squad of tanks, wondering who will win... because there are 20 more tanks coming up right after that. It's an entire war, rather than focusing on key exciting battles.

But that's just my personal view. A lot of people really love it, and I think if I could find the motivation to stick with it longer, I would probably end up getting to grips with it better and maybe falling in love with it. But for now I just want to play something else :p

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I am absolutely loving Wargame: EE at the moment. Haven't played BF3 in 4 days because of it.

Proper strategic gameplay, akin to a modern day Sudden Strike.

No difficulty settings in the single player. You mess up, your units pay the price and you have a set unit amount for the campaign, so keeping units alive from one mission to the next is very important. I've cleared the NATO missions (first 5 missions) and I re-ran 3 of them at least a half dozen times to get perfect runs. It's satisfying to get all your units through an op and have them carry over to the next one.

The MP is good fun too in either Skirmish or Ranked. Played a couple of games with friends and have had a blast.

If anyone does get it, I would highly recommend unlocking the KPz-70 Battle Tanks for NATO as soon as you can, the extra range with the primary cannon gives you an edge over the Russians like you wouldn't believe. 4 of them can hold their own against 4 times as many Russians if you have recon and you open fire first.

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Edit
    Does buying from ZiiP unlock the beta currently on steam?

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Damned cookies being cleared, sorry Loftie, I missed your message.

Yes, the key from ZiiP Gamestore does give you access the BETA.

Price drop on the way too for pre-orders I think.