1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M³ Car PC *18.8.04 - Case Update Online!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Jan 2004.

1. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Update:

Ok I finally desinged all of the front/rear panels and sent the plans away for them to get milled. Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

This is the primary connector panel, which is going to be mounted on the case in the trunk.

[​IMG]

And the secondary connection panel...

[​IMG]

The final design of the control panel on the dash. It features all of the status LEDs and the touch sensors:

[​IMG]

This is a touch sensor elctrode which is going to be fitted into the white spaces of the above panel. Behind it there will be plexi glass. This is going to light up when the corresponding touch sensor is activated.

[​IMG]

The back of the control panel with all the holes for the screws and cables.

[​IMG]

The final design of the TFT LCD case front panel. The grey area around the screen is a plane, with 1.5mm depth.

[​IMG]

And the back panel of the TFT LCD case. The grey areas are planes with 2mm depth, which provide space for the cables.

[​IMG]

Here's the mounting plate for the TFT LCD (basically a strong aluminium plate with a lot of holes for screws and cables). It fits into the DIN slot of the car. Take a look at the video at the bottom of the post - then it will make more sense.

[​IMG]

And finally the front panel for the DVD drive. Again with a plane to make it more interesting.

Well all of these panels are hopefully going to arrive some time next week. Cost a hell of a lot of money (€317), however I think it's worth it. They are all manufactured out of black anodized aluminium (2mm-4mm thickness) and are accurate down to the 1/100th mm (at least the plans are).

Finally here is a small animation I made about the flip down display: Clicky (It's decoded in DivX 5.1.1 Pro so you should get the codec before viewing).

2. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Very very nice man. Something I've been thinking about for a while. One question, how are the HDDs going to respond to the shock of bumpy roads and such? Very good work though. Very precise. What do you use for the 3d renderings and animations?

3. Der Me!$ter

Thanks, I'm not so worried about the HDD (partly because I mounted it with shock absorbing screws - pic is somewhere in the thread), what I'm concerned about is the DVD drive. When you shake it a bit more vigorously while the CD is spinning, the disk tilts and scratches itself on the insides of the drive. Still working on a way to stabalize it. I had a slim slot loading DVD drive, which would grad the CD and not let it go hence making it resistant to shock. Unfortunatelly I fried the drive in a short circuit :wallbash:. Bumpy roads shouldn't be a problem for the HDD though. The 3D animation was done with 3D Studio Max 6.

4. kiljoi

Yeah, I'm looking at the same thing, except I was going to leave out the cd-drive, and move all files to it through wi-fi network. I was just wondering about how to mount the hdds, as in my car (truck), it will probably have to go through off-roading, so I have been racking my brain for a nice, secure mounting system.

5. Der Me!$ter

HDDs are pretty resistant, however offroad probably takes it to its limits. I read somewhere that a guy mounted his whole car computer inside of a cd changer. These supposedly have very good suspension. Just get an old, broken one off of ebay, hack it apart and mount the HDD inside of it.

6. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

7. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Excellent work, looking really impressive :)

I like your PCB's :D

8. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Not too bad at all Mei$ter!! When's the first real modding update due? :) Can't wait to see it take serious shape!!

9. Der Me!$ter

The panels are going to arrive some time next week, hopefully then, I will get :dremel:'in

10. kiljoi

Sounds like a good idea. Right now I have been toying with an idea using springs and closed-cell foam, but this sounds a whole lot easier. Thanks for the advice!
    :thumb:

11. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

are you mad or just stupid

i mean yeh this is a very nicee project and all respect to you

its alot of hard wortk and something i could never do BUT

MEISTER MACHINE

and

M3

??????????????

i mean wtf dude 'meister is obviously something you have just stolen from american pie'

and M3 is the preformance BMW

you have a classy car here man i mean nothing compared to my car "yes im 16 also - i have a car although cannot drive it" and your gonna ruin it with stick on tat lik meister and M3 - dude thats like getting a porsche 911 carrera and sticking XR3i and RS COSWORTH and MAX power stickers on it

sort it out and get rid of those tacky names

otherwise nice project man i hope it comes along well

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I must concur, I think you should try and go for a sleek and elegant look with maybe a mercedes benz logo.

I know if I had a mercedes, I wouldn't want a big thing on the dash sayinng "Meister PC"

13. einsteinthe2nd

einsteinthe2nd What's a Dremel?

Dude, this mod rocks, just as the others said.....just maybe consider a different name for it....

14. _frank`

_frank` What's a Dremel?

not bad guy.
    but xtra large...
    keep on your nice work :rock:

15. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

heres an idea, ITS HIS MOD AND HIS CAR
    he can do what ever he wants, when you actully do something like this you can put whatever you want on yours.

but frankly iv seen alot of things on this forum but nothing so rude as what youve said. Im not a mod but as a member of this incredable comunity i would ask that you keep your attitude in check.

try and keep your comments constructive

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi

I'm loving the project.
    And u shouldn't pay attention to the comments of the name and all..

I was confused when I first saw the project name, I thought it was about a BMW M3 , but hey... who cares??

Its your car, your mod, so you can choose the name and everything!

And to my opinion, its looking very very good so far!

Good luck
    L

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I semi-agree with you, Draxin.

I personally don't think "Meister Machine" looks good on an otherwise great mod, but I don't think people should insult Der Meister, if you think the dash panel would look better without "Mesiter Machine" on it, go ahead and say it, but don't be mean about it.

18. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

i think your all cool

the way you cut holes in your pcs

makes me wish i could be uber 1337

19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Man you really need to lose that attitude if you want to stick around on these boards. This is not the place for you to vent your pre-pubescent acne-ridden angst.

If you have no appreciation for what the contributors to these forums do, then why are you wasting your time here?

Seriously, any more **** like that and the mods will ban you faster than you can say "I'll never get a girlfriend"

You mincer.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2004
  20. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

Sure, he made his point clear on the labelling issue but i dont think that was sarcasm. And this reply of yours is hardly sparkling either.