1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Macro Black

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 1 Jan 2002.

1. macroman

macroman The One

The next installment is under way, I am somewhat behind schedule due to a few system crashes. There is plenty more to come, you will just have to bear with me as I get back on schedule.

2. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

Take your time bro...we want it to be as good as possable!! However... some of us have been biting our nails in antisapation and have gone all the way back to our nuckles!!! OUCH...that hurts!!

3. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

thank god i use voice recignition cos i cant type with just stumps for hands!

nice 1 macro by the way!!:D

4. tm131

tm131 What's a Dremel?

PlexiCase???

Where can i get a PlexiCase???
    I am from Germany and i dont know any distributors here.
    But maybe i can get from the UK or from France.
    If someone knows any online shops plz tell me.....

5. macroman

macroman The One

6. Cyberdome

Cyberdome What's a Dremel?

when's the next guide's up ? really can't wait to read about it though .. :D

7. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Hey Macroman.
    It's the best man...I can't find anything better than it. I would really like to make it, so at the end of your next installment could you pst all the links from where you bought everything??? Thanks.

8. Bobit

Bobit What's a Dremel?

You da man

I love your case and ur guide but i have one question. Could i cover the entier case in the window tint so that when i turned on a light the entier case wen transparet?:D

9. Cyberdome

Cyberdome What's a Dremel?

Re: You da man

yeap , you can

10. Bobit

Bobit What's a Dremel?

Gloss

Would I get the full mirror black finnish?

11. macroman

macroman The One

Re: Gloss

Yes the mirror effect comes from the high gloss of the plastic and the fact there is no light behind the tint. Turning on internal lights , lights up the inside and effectivly makes the tint appear transperent.

12. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Hey macroman, where did you get the fanbus?

13. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

im sorry for the nagging macro but the sespense is really getting to much...
    please, please when is the next installment going to be due?
    before i find out where u live and stalk you until i find out the secret that is
    <que eery music>
    'macro black'

14. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Does anybody know of any blue tinting, I want to make a blue acrylic case that goes clear in the light, perhaps i might consider purple, but blue is a definite want.

second, if you paint the outer acrylic and then glue another piece of acrylic behind it will anything happen to the finish?

I know if i tint it i will get an irregular frosting on the tint.

Second does anybody know the largest VFD's come in in a four line flavour?

15. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

You can definately get 40x4 lcds, and i *think* vfds too

16. KrashTD

KrashTD What's a Dremel?

Project KrAsH-n-BuRnN

new to the modding scene but Macro Black inspires to me dive right in and become an innovator in the case/component mod scene. don't know how much of an innovator i would be, but i'd love to give it a shot. time and money aren't luxuries i have at the moment, so my pet project may not get off the ground for awhile.

I'll outline some of the ideas for Project here, and hopefully all the moddin' gurus in this forum can improve upon my ideas and offer constructive criticism...

The case: STRAT AGEM case from Wahoo Computers http://www.wahoocomputers.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=stratagem_case

Components: AMD XP/MP or Hammer CPU (when it launches), compatible MB, 512+ MB DDR mem, DVD+RW, CD-RW, Gainward GF3 Ti/400, SB Audigy Platinum, WinXP Pro, Madrake Linux

Now...while all those components sound tantalizing in a system, what I want from the case should set it apart from anything else. Whether it gets modded or not, the Strat Agem case from Wahoo is going to be the integral piece for this system. I'd like to do some mods similar to the Macro Black mods, though obviously some of them would have to be approached from an entirely different manner since this isn't a midtower or clear case. The points of Macro Black that I would like to emulate and integrate are the mirror black finish, the blacked-out windows that are also back-lit, a similar but not exact themed grille for the front fan, and of course the fan controls and temp/monitoring screen. While I love the Biohazard theme, I won't copy it. I want to maintain at least SOME sort of originality while I'm playing off all MacroMan's ideas! :)

I won't post anymore than that as I don't want to wear out my welcome too quickly. I'm just excited at the prospect of designing and modding a case with a similarly stunning effect as that of MacroBlack. I apologize to anyone who may be upset over this post...just remember back to how you felt the first time you were REALLY inspired to do something creative/fun...and maybe you'll cut me some slack :p

MacroMan, you have truly inspired me. I give you my utmost respect and admiration for your awesome gift and skills. I just hope you continue to assist the rest of us in developing our skills too! Thank you!

17. macroman

macroman The One

Welcome to the forums KrashTD. Macro Black was designed to give people ideas so feel free to use them. Remember where you saw it first ;)

18. KrashTD

KrashTD What's a Dremel?

thanks!

not a problem! i've bookmarked a lot of your how-to articles, and of course the MacroBlack article...and I have no hesitations about sharing the source of a big part of my modding inspiration. have to admit, i'm somewhat reluctant to see the number and severity of my mistakes in modding my system. especially since my mistakes are never easy nor cheap to fix :D

the logo theme i'd like to use is based on the symbol of the Trinity (if you know what that is) and is most easily seen in this logo from a Christian band called P.O.D.

http://www.payableondeath.com/

it's the logo on the left. hope my skills with a Dremill aren't too horrific...as it appears to be a fairly straightforward, simple pattern to replicate and cut out. wish i could get the blue glow in the metal itself instead of just from behind the grill, but i KNOW i'm not THAT good.

anyone interested in my other ideas for this system mod can e-mail me. also, if you have any suggestions, feel free to share. i'd hate to make a mess of what sounds like an awesome mod.

looking forward to learning how the fanbus and VFD were put together.

19. Ouroboros

Ouroboros What's a Dremel?

Perhaps if u get some model paint
    I think u can get green and blue glow in the dark stuff u could then try rubbing it on to the case work round ur cut out

Its allmost that same as the stuff u get on watch hands
    thin it down and u might get a faint green glow

Just and idea

20. KrashTD

KrashTD What's a Dremel?

oooooohhhh...

new idea!

http://www.caseoutlet.com/Server/YY-cube/default.htm
    (click the pics to see them larger)

taking this Yeong Yang cube case, chucking the outer fascia and shell (like the photo on the bottom right), replacing with acrylic panels, painted mirror-black on the inner side ala MacroBlack, with various openings for the components, and a few other mods. it would have tinted, windowed doors on each side, but don't know what door handles/latches would be best. if i could find black chrome latches, that would be sweet... i'm approaching giddiness just contemplating all the modding potential this rig possesses.

is case mod lust a sin? :D

Tags: Add Tags