1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

2. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

My sentiments exactly.

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I wanted 'Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie' so bad :-(

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The article has been updated. Apparently it was a mistranslation and Studio Ghibli is just taking a break.

I for one must buy ALL the DVD's!

5. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

[​IMG]

You'd expect them to be a bit careful with posting a story like this though, and especially to check the translation twice. (The cynic in me says a post with a title like that was just worth too many clicks to not submit it... Even if it was inaccurate).

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

WTF is Studio Ghibli?

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Try wikipedia! :duh:

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Not sure if serious. Either way hand this in on the way out.

[​IMG]

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You can have my card too. The only Japanese animation I've ever watched as an adult was Akira when I was extremely high on drugs as a student.

It was such a perfect experience that I've avoided anime/manga ever since for fear of being let down.

Although I did re-watch Ulysses 31 a few years back as a nostalgia trip, it used to be on Channel 4 in the early hours when I was a lad. "Ulysseee-eee-eees, no-one else can do the things you do!"

Why not pass me my coat whilst you're taking my geek card, fair swap?

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

... I never liked Studio Ghibli's stuff, never saw what the fuss was about...

[​IMG]

11. Lance

There was some that were brilliant like Porco Rosso, Howls Moving Castle and Princess Mononoki. Based on Japanese or other folk law.

There were some that were smaller kids films like My Neighbour Toroto and Kiki's delivery service.

And there were some that were just depressing that I didn't bother watching like Grave of Fireflys.

I would recommend Porco Rosso (Michael Keaton) or Howls Moving Castle (Christian Bale, Emily Mortimer) to anyone. Also do watch them in english, the quality of voice acting is very high, so its not worth bothering with the "authenticity" of the subtitles. If they wanted it that way they wouldn't get the likes of Christian Bale to do the voices.

12. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Where does 'Tale of Earthsea' stand? It's been 8 years and still pissed about this piece of crap, hopefully Goro Miyazaki make it up with 'Up from poppy hill'.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Howls Moving Castle was bloody brilliant!

14. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I loved Howl's moving castle, Princess Mononoke but I wasn't a big fan of a lot of their other films. I'll watch each film, but I don't like a lot of them. I like anime series, and a lot of dramas I'm pretty picky about films.

15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Agreed, I've seen some sad films but Grave of the Fireflies is overdoing it to a point where it became kinda disgusting really. Too emotionally manipulative. I get that it is supposed to portray a very dark part of history, but this film really has no other purpose than to make you feel miserable. I guess it does make it's point by being a very clear anti-war message.

Didn't like Howl's Moving Castle that much though. It's been a while since I last saw it, but I remember not having any sympathy for the characters, unlike most other Ghibli films. The whole "beautiful girl meets handsome mysterious prince"-thing felt a bit clichéd to me.

My favorites are definitely Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Spirited Away are pretty great too.

I don't know, I quite liked Tales of Earthsea actually. Yes, the story was all over the place, but the backgrounds and and character designs were absolutely top notch. I mean:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Droolworthy stuff. The soundtrack was pretty amazing too.
    Goro should consider doing a Koyaanisqatsi-like film with just animated scenes in a fantasy world; I'd watch it. :p

16. d_stilgar

I'll just go quickly through what Studio Ghibli films I think should be watched, and which ones aren't as good, quick +/-. I might explain some a bit more than others.

See These
    + My Neighbor Totoro (my 22 month old son laughed out loud at a lot of parts, a hard achievement)
    + Kiki's Delivery Service
    + Porco Rosso
    + Princess Mononoke
    + Spirited Away (must see)
    + Howl's Moving Castle
    + Ponyo
    + Arrietty (barely makes this list)
    + Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro

Skip These
    - Castle in the Sky
    - Grave of Fireflies (there's more than an anti-war message here that I don't really love)
    - Pom Poko (good but the cultural divide is pretty big here)
    - Whisper of the Heart
    - The Cat Returns
    - Tales from Earthsea (beautiful, but psycho story that doesn't close well)
    - From Up on Poppy Hill (good but forgettable, and too similar to some other themes from other Ghibli films)
    - The Wind Rises (misses the mark)
    - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

If it's not listed here, I haven't seen it.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Skip Castle in the Sky? Are you out of your mind? That film is pure brilliance and probably the first Ghibli film I ever saw as a young kid, required viewing for any fan of the studios work.

18. Lance

Castle in the Sky I also enjoyed. Not the best but worth a watch.

What I quite like about them is that they're quite different to British/American film and story styles which I find changes the way you take them in.

I need to watch Tales from Earthsea just to see what people are on about.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is good fun too.

And Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro is just weird and mental but great fun.

19. d_stilgar

It's hard to choose what to cut. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's not the best. The list is for people who are most likely not fans already. I loved Castle in the Sky, and From Up on Poppy Hill, and Pom Poko, but I'd choose other Ghibli films to lead off with.

Oh crap. I forgot about those. Nausicaa is good, the animation is especially amazing (as always, right?), but there's something about the world itself that I don't really love. It doesn't capture the imagination in the same way as other Ghibli films.

Lupin III makes me feel like a kid whenever I watch it. The physical comedy and general gags in the animation are really subtle and funny.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen Spirited Away, get it on Blu Ray when it comes out and watch it. I hadn't seen it since my 13" CRT, DVD days. I got a Japanese import Blu Ray and was blown away all over again. It's so incredible.

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

You're insane.

Everyone should watch all of them.

(Except From Up on Poppy Hill, that **** is too boring)