1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

There's still a point that puzzles me. Was it merely coincidence that the clients took about 24h to complete, and that they all kept synchronised, so must have downloaded A5 WUs all the time with no A3.

2. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Could be wrong but I suspect the dam was opened once a day to let the work units flood out.

3. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Pretty much yeah Christopher, they were all started around the same time and coincidently took 25 hours to complete I think James said, a few might have gone off course but most were starting/finished within a couple hours of eachother :)

Chicken76 and Christopher N. Lew like this.
  4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

coolamasta is pretty much spot on. I logged in via VMWare a few days before the CC2011 and configured the 16 nodes within about half an hour of each other, and given that all the nodes had exactly the same hardware spec, they all delivered their WUs at pretty much the same time at approx 25 hour intervals.

Hence the big spike we got once a day or so, compared to the rest of the team who contributed throughout the day as all their rigs were different specs.

5. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Looking real good Rob. Knew you would put the board to good use but 4.2GHz at 1.27 vcore, now that's impressive :thumb: Could you mail me the bios settings when you get a chance mate?

Well at least I said I could be wrong :blush:

6. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Thats just... wow! Nice one Lizard!

On a side note, we're now working on getting a whole bunch of solar panels fitted to the roof, so thanks to that I wont need to worry about leaving my rig on 24/7 from time to time :D

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

That's something I've considered too over the last few years, so without further ado:

<<< Spannish Inqusition mode on >>>

Are you sitting in the comfy chair?
    Where do you live?
    What sort of installation are you getting?
    What's the start-up cost?
    What's the estimated power production (in kWh I suppose)?

<<< Spannish Inqusition mode off >>>

8. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Haha! I'm not directly dealing with it, but I'll answer what i can...
    Comfy chair... no :(
    Live in central Scotland (between Glasgow & Edinburgh)
    Not sure of the installation type, will try & find out tonight
    Start-up cost is approx £11,000 but I can't remember how many panels that was for
    Power production... not sure about that, will check up on that too.

I remember them saying something about getting paid some thing like 43p for every unused unit that goes into the grid, which can be bought back for about 17p or something. Not exactly sure how it works but will try & find out more info.

9. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

oooo Solar Power.......i know a little bit about that :)

Solar PV or Solar Photo Voltaic panels:

There are various sizes of systems which all have different feed-in tariff's.

A basic 4kw system for a house costs 12k. On a system no greater that 4kw you would be paid a feed-in tariff of 43.3p per kwh (kilowatt hour)

This over a year equates to £ 1443.00 per year that you would be paid.

These systems are guaranteed to work at 80% capacity after 25 years, and please consider that the first ever solar panel made is still going and most of us were not born then.

As your system gets bigger the following feed-in tariffs apply:

4 - 10kw = 37.8 pence per kwh

over 10kw but less than 100kw = 32.9 pence per kwh.

If you decide not to use any of this electricity for yourself, then you get an extra 3 pence per kwh.

All in your looking between 5.5 and 7 years for your setup to pay for it's self, and anything after that is just bunce :D

I hope this is helpful and I can put people in touch with some friend of mine you do this as a business - hence the detailed post :D

Cheers!

10. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Just because a system is called 1kWp (kilowatt-peak) doesn't mean it will produce 1kW. Orientation and elevation will affect how much you generate, and shadowing (chimneys, trees, other buildings) can have a dramatic effect - with 10% of your panels in shadow you can see output drop below 50%. Where you live is also important, systems at higher latitudes are less efficient.

As ever ask for more than one quote, a good installer should let you know how much you can expect to generate given an 'industry standard year'. Of course, the real weather will probably be different from this 'standard'.

A folding PC that is running 24/7 will use more energy than a small domestic PV system will produce in the same time period.

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Just done an entire project on renewable energy so I know a bit about this.

Haphetus is entirely correct. You get paid for every unit of electricity you produce, even if you are using it! If you are producing more than you need then you sell it back to the grid but it's only for a few pence per kWh, as opposed to the 37-43p from just producing it.

The ideal positioning of the panels are inclined at 35 degrees and facing south. If your roof isn't flat then putting them in the optimal position could be difficult.

There is also a decent difference in performance from different types of panels. It's worth doing your research on this one.

12. Haphestus

love ya!:thumb:

meandmymouth likes this.
  13. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Yeah we're doing a bit of shopping around the now. The back slope of the roof is south facing, there is a small wooded area behind that but the sun is usually over them pretty early in the morning.

I wont be running the machine 24/7/365 anyway, it's my main gaming rig & also sits in my room, so not ideal for leaving on overnight when trying to sleep :p so will likely only have it on when I'm at work or when I'm away, so should be plenty of juice for whats required in the house. Will definitely be getting more folding done than I previously have been anyway!

14. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

could you not just spring a surprise event of 'bring some earplugs with you to work for 10 days' with the winner being the person who brings them everyday and they can have...... a hug for a prize. and the losers just have to man up and deal with the noise and heat!

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Toga, you should "rent" power ie. charge someone to host their folding rig lol. sell it for slightly higher than the grid would buy it off you but less than what someone would naturally pay for theirs. :thumb:

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

http://www.fitariffs.co.uk/

Handy for this.

Back on topic, I might be living in halls at uni next year... don't have to pay the electricity bill...
    :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's been done... think datacentres, then think datacentres built with optimal computing power as well as optimal storage andredundancy facilities. Then think renting boxes to use for processing power. Lots of large companies worldwide do it :)

You don't know how lucky you are. When I was at uni we had to pay for oil, electric, gas... basically all the utilities.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I do know how lucky I am. I've lived out in private accommodation for the last 2 years and paid ALL utilities separately (i.e. not included in the rent). Our electricity this year has run on a coin meter...

I'll put the electricity to good use next year for folding!

19. Haphestus

Dude you should put the money aside that you would have spent on bills and piece by piece by more rigs, and get your money's worth out of the Uni!!! :D

What are you studying?

I never went to Uni and do feel like I have missed out on some good experiences. I just got dragged straight into full time work from the age of 16 :(

20. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

The trick is, if you dont go to uni make sure some of your mates do. The amount of time i spent at the uni bar and uni parties and i didnt even go to uni:hehe: