1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Overclocking Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jul 2007.

1. zmatovic

zmatovic New Member

Many thanks for suggestions WUYANXY.

as long as you don't let the CPU temperature go above 71c (that's for G0 stepping though, not sure about B3 steppings, use "CPU-Z" to check stepping) you should be okay and don't need to worry about its safety.

We purchased C2 quad with a new G0 stepping mode (there is SLACR on the end of the product code) so I hope we'll get better teperature conditions with this model.

i don't know much about cluster computing, so sorry that i cannot comment on the optimum settings for those kinds of operation. surely you could consult the Computing departments of the university on those.

never mind for this issue. i've been informed about clustering with multiprocessors units so hopefully we'll benefit from such system.
    thanks again and have a nice day

2. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi Professor,

I assume that you are using Linux on the systems. If you are, then use a stripped down version of Linux (Rock linux I think is meant to be a good one) with the minimum of packages (you'll probably want a C and F77/F90 compiler, possibly the Intel compilers if you are using a commercial package that you want to parallelize). You'll also need to get either PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine I think) or OpenMPI (Message Passing Interface) to act as the clustering mechanism.

To use either of these programs, you will need to compile your software with these programs. You can't just have both pieces of software installed and expect them to work "out of the box". It may be worth getting onto some clustering forums and asking questions. If the software you are thinking of using is not a bespoke application and has a big enough user base, you may find that there is a mailing list that you can join to ask questions.

Hope this helps. If you want to use Windows as the clustering application, just remember, the two computers in the top 500 listing that used Windows Cluster Suite had twice the hardware that the next highest computers used, and they were running a flavour of *nix.

Andy

3. zmatovic

zmatovic New Member

Thanks for comments Andy.
    Yes we installed scientific linux on our brand new machines. Right now we are in course of preparation of our little BeoWulf cluster (one core 2 duo pc (server) keeping on eye two core 2 quad machines). We mostly use MPI (mpich version) for parallel computing. There was a bit of missunderstanding about software clustering as I didn't actualy ask nothing about it but WUYANXY gave some notes. I was ruther interested about hardware issues when clustering is in question.
    Zoran

4. croatoan

croatoan New Member

I too am a bit green at overclocking. Gone from an E6600 which was running at 3Ghz just by upping the FSB to 1333. Foolishly though I could try the same trick with my Q6600 G0.

Having changed by board to an A1 revision, I was having horrendous luck overclocking my G0 also past 2.9.

Now seems quite happy sitting at 3.2Ghz

Will double check the voltages if anyones interested. Have managed to get it running at 3.6 but case cooling is a bit crap so didnt want to risk it as the machines on 24/7.

EVGA 680i A1 Rev : Q6600@3.2Ghz : 4GB Corsair Dominator C4D6400 : 8800GTX not overclocked ( Yet )

5. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

running mine at 400x8 = 3.2Ghz with 1.385v (could probably drop some, can't be bothered to retest, heat are okay, so i left it as it is)

i upped the voltage to 1.425v and couldn't boot into Windows with 400x9, and i don't want to push any further.

what voltage are you running at?

6. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    9*333 at 1,2v (1,2375v selected in BIOS):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Undervolted, isn't it? What does it look like under full load? Should be 1.1-ish...

8. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    Yep. The default voltage is 1,2875v.
    That was under load.
    Idle is 1,200v:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gotta love the voltage damper thingy of the P5K Premium. :naughty:

9. KidNovak

KidNovak New Member

Q6600 G0... Please Help with BIOS Settings to Achieve 3.2Ghz

I’m building a new computer, below are the parts I have so far.
    I’d like to Overclock to about 3.1 -3.2Ghz on Air.

What settings do I need to make in the BIOS to achieve 3.1-3.2Ghz?
    Also, please include memory settings.

Thank you,
    Novak

Specs
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR G0 (Batch#: L728A861, Pack Date: 08/22/07)
    - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 P35 Motherboard (rev 1.0)
    - ZALMAN CNPS9500 Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 PC8500 1066Mhz
    - XFX GeForce 8800GTS
    - Antec Nine Hundred Case
    - RAIDMAX ATX12V/EPS12V 630W Power Supply

10. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Zalman 9500..... you won't get very far.

try:
    1.4 Vcore to start with
    355 FSB
    1:1 memory for now

and then lower your Vcore until it's at lowest stable voltage. then up your memory divider to something lower than 1:1.5 (try 1:1.5, Ballistix are said to be very overclockable)

11. jrtpaul

jrtpaul New Member

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Hey,

does anyone know ifthe asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard overclock as well as the asus they used in this article?

im considering getting one of these mobos, but only if they can overclock well....

12. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

p5w dh is very outdated, your best bet is something p35 based

13. jrtpaul

jrtpaul New Member

ok, thanks :)

14. bbathk

bbathk New Member

hi there,

After reading the articles, i decided to OC my q6600. However, i didn't quite reach the 3.2 ghz mark... ,hell.. i even struggled to have a stable system @ 2.9ghz.. I changed the FSB, vCore voltage, nforce SPP, MCP voltage just like the articles said...

My machine got blue screen while booting windows when i tried 1451 FSB(qdr) --> 362*9 frequency
    then i lower my FSB to 333*9, i could load into windows fine. But when i tried some games (tf2, crysis), the games loaded up, and then blue screen came within minutes of game play.
    I got a somewhat stable system @ 325*9 --> 2.9 ghz frequency machine.. (it got blue screen and reboot twice as well, but it seems fine for now..)
    I checked the temperature with coretemp, its 38-43C from core0-core3, so its not that my cpu is too hot....
    here are my spec..

q6600 G0 with Coolmaster Hyper TX cooler+heatsink
    Corsair Twin 2 x 2048-6400CA 1G/800/DDR2
    8800GT (no OC)
    Inno3d 680 SLI mobo
    PSU is a 750 W.. (forgot the brand, but its one of the better one.. $$ wise)

cpu core : 1.4625
    cpu fsb: 1.4v
    memory: 2.250V
    nforce SPP : 1.45V
    nforce MCP 1.550v
    Ht nforce spp <=> Mcp : 1.40V

So if I increase the vCore, would i be able to get a stable system @ 3ghz or more? The article said a safe maximum vcore for aircooled chip is 1.4625 though...

Many thanks if anyone can help me out..

15. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Hey all. Not only new to the site but new to the game of beyond retail tech specs as well. I used CPU-Z and found out that even though I bought the processor this January I got a B3 stepping.

Does this mean I'm screwed in terms of overclocking it to better performance? I'm not rich so I can't afford to buy another if it bursts into flames on me so I don't want to try to go insane, but everyone else is raving about the G0 and I kind of feel like the kid at school with last years cool lunchbox.

Thoughts?

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Why dont you try? Even if you have the most useful Q6, without some other good hardware and cooling you can clock all that you want, but its still a nogo.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Kosh - the processor we overclocked in this article was a B3 and we still got in-excess of 3GHz out of it! :)

Hi, you've got plenty of everything there - you could either simply be unlucky or your BIOS is out of date. On boot - the characters at the top should tell you which version it is - P-something. The latest from Inno3D is P30 and you can upgrade in the NV control panel in windows. :)

18. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Ok so my first go was to emulate what you all did, seeing as how I have no empirical experience doing stuff like this and this is the result that I have been running for the past day. Any feedback is as always greatly appreciated, even if its to tell me to stop being idiotic. :)

Kentsfield Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 B3 Stepping @ 2.4

Clocks

Core Speed : 3347.5MHZ
    Multiplier: 9.0
    Bus Speed: 371.9
    Rated FSB: 1487.8
    L1 Data: 4x32 KB
    L1 Inst.: 4x32 KB
    Level 2: 2x4096 Bytes

Vcore: 1.41v
    +3.3 : 3.17v
    +5 : 4.94v
    +12 : 11.98v

Temperature Averages
    Idle CPU Cel : 33c
    Load (non prime95) : 56c
    MB Idle Cel : 31c
    MB Load (non prime95): 44c

As for my RAM, I am running 2x2Gig sticks of Patriot DDR2-800 that doesn't seem to want to run at its normal 2.0v 5-5-5-12 under this load, so under AUTO timing in the BIOS its set itself to DDR2-745 5-5-5-10

Don't know exactly what that imples. <laughs>

Thanks again mates.
    Kosh

19. Kosh

Kosh New Member

EDIT: Ok so I read about Prime95 and ran it on my current, above, overclocked settings for 5 hours. The Max CPU temp was 55c with the average being 48c and the Motherboard temperature was 30c until hour 1, then 31c at hour 2.5 it was 32c and it peaked at hour 5 with 36c.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There are not few people saying everything less than 24 hours of Prime95 (or better Orthos)... maybe they're right.
    I never ran any stress test longer than 12 hours and I never had too many issues to be happy with my system. Temps seem okay too even though 55°C max might be a bit on the high side. It's air, isn't it?

Tags: Add Tags