1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink Supergirl Linux Box (June, 2006)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shannon, 27 Jun 2006.

1. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

It fit better sideways, with the bottom pointing toward the front, it was almost too wide. the points didn't quite fit.

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Could use a copy machine and scale down the copy for a smaller template.

By the way, after seeing the top, I think I really like the way it's painted. Kinda reminds me of wood grain.

L J

Last edited: 28 Jun 2006
  3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Hey Shannon, nice theme for the case, it's good to see something new instead of blue and blue... But if you really want to have your Supergirl logo nice and smooth i'd suggest giving it another coat of pink, masking the whole side / top panel off with masking tape after it dries and use this guide by mnptech Painting flames, just substitute the flames with your logo by putting the stencil over it and draw along the edges, cut out the drawn part and paint.. :D

other than that... nice one girl.. :baby:
    You can always give it more detail as you go, but overdoing things will make you return to square one.. :sigh:

4. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips and the link. I'm glad you guys like it so far. :)

5. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

They do exist. Hopefully you can find one near you. Good luck with your mod. It's good to see another member of the fairer sex at least willing to give it a go with the "modding thing".

6. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

My uni uses pink cat5 cables as loaners during classes, as they see it that no one would buy a pink cat5 cable otherwise, so if your seen with one your already guilty.

7. hellas91

hellas91 What's a Dremel?

Looks nice :p

8. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

Okay, here I am putting the border around the S on the side. I put tape under the cardboard too and everything, so it should be good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to redo the one on top.

9. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

okay, here's the S with the border. Looks pretty good, although I kind of wish I was using brushes for touchups.
    [​IMG]

and here I am sanding the paint on the top
    [​IMG]

I'm going to try it a different way, I'm going to make a new, smaller template(so that I can have it "facing me" and spray the top with the light pink, then tape on the template with the inverted cutouts which will be much less confusing from a cutout point of view, and spray over it with the dark pink. Today is my sister's birthday though, and she's the good template drawer, so I probably won't ask her to do it today. :)

Okay, on components, what does everyone think about this?

I have three video cards to choose from, all AGP, none of them fabulous. They were all pulled from systems that were custom built but none were like for gaming or anything so they weren't exactly the top thing out.

1 - GeForce2 MX
    2 - SiS 6326; I googled it and I think it's like 8mb which seems quite old, but it does have AV and S-Video out
    3 - unidentified. I can't find a clue for what this card is, BUT I believe it is from the newest system of the bunch that I pulled vid cards from.

any suggestions?

10. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

Okay, I think I've finally got it right.

I painted the top over with the light pink
    [​IMG]

I printed out a template on some card stock and cut it out. Then I stuck it to the top. I actually used a gluestick because I didn't have any double stick tape. Actually, it worked pretty well, but if you try it make sure you get any glue residue off of the parts you want the paint to stick to. I went around it after I stuck it down with a damp paper towel.

Okay, so then I sprayed it over with the dark pink again.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If this comes out looking as perfect as I think it will, I'm going to redo the side with this process. I'm going to start cutting out the bigger sized template for it though. That's the hardest part!

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

That came out pretty nice. Gives it a nice 3D look.

12. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

I like the 3D lookingness too, but I always intended to peel the paper off, and it wouldn't have held up like that anyway.

So, here it is
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It still needs a little cleanup; there are bits of glue and paper, but I'm going to do that when it's really dry. I'm definitely doing the same process with the side now.

So here I am cutting out a bigger S
    [​IMG]

13. customh

customh conflagration.

Well as youre in the US heres a couple of links to Pink CAT5e.
    www.cat5cableguy.com
    And always try ebay unless you make your own cables then the cableguy is the way to go.

14. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link, customholle, but I can't seem to find any pink ones on that link. Or did you mean that site just for if you make your own?

I've seen some pink ones on Amazon oddly enough.

15. customh

customh conflagration.

16. Shannon

Shannon What's a Dremel?

okay, the S on the side is done.
    The lighting on these first couple of photos is a little funny because of the time of day.

My template stuck to the side
    [​IMG]

my template painted over
    [​IMG]

Sticker peeled off
    [​IMG]
    like with the other one, there's still some glue and paper bits and stuff stuck to it, but I'm going to wash it off well tomorrow before I do a top coat.

So, I'd say this is a successful method!

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

that dark pink has grown on me! Now with the super girl logo, it's starting to all coming together. good work!

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Looks very nice, personally I prefer it with a black line border around it.

19. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Deffo do some pin striping around it, that would really make it stand out. Nice work though.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

black outlines is a must now it has been said!