1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Pointless downvotes on Youtube videos

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 6 Jul 2020.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If her boobs were out, you wouldn't notice... Neither would I!

kim likes this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Damn those pointy elbows. Complete deal breaker for me.

3. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

But, in plain English (which is how most people see it), people will just click dislike simply because they didn't like it. So you have to expect some.

4. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

This may sound petty, but there are lots of channels I've followed/watched for years and then the creator changes something in their formula that doesn't benefit me, that I think hurts their content/channel overall.
    It would be nice if youtube told creators when the downvotes occur because I think creators would notice a trend and possibly stop the behavior, but also probably not.
    I usually also comment and give some constructive feedback on what I don't like.

Here's a list of things people put in their videos that I'll sometimes downvote for:
    • A 5 second (or less) plug for your merch store (they're annoying and clumsy and unskippable)
    • A clumsy house-ad for your sister channels
    • An obviously sponsored video that isn't otherwise interesting on its own
    • A change to more click-bait video titles
    • A change to the video thumbnail with meme "react" faces or whatever
    • That new trend where an animated mouse comes on screen to hit "like" and "subscribe" and "bell" button overlays while the main video is playing. I HAAAAATE those. It's an instant dislike and unsubscribe for me.
    • Overly long intro sequences
    • Crappy music
    • "Like and Subscribe" or Patreon portion of video is longer than content.
    There are levels to each of these and exceptions as well, but the takeaway for me is that most of these are motivated by sponsors or the Youtube algorithm. Someone at youtube posted some video about how this increases some metric so creators making otherwise good content start pooping this garbage all over their videos.
    And I'm sure it works because none of the channels I've seen do this stuff have stopped. It's pretty stupid, too, because I'm sure the only people who would listen to some of that crap are kids, but creators don't care.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@d_stilgar Those are completely reasonable! At the same time, sometimes they're unfortunate things that have to be put up with to fund the channel

I do like the idea of having to fill out a reason why a video is up or downvoted though.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Short answer = Bots. The amount of bots including sex bots I have had to remove during live streams on channels I moderate on is crazy.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've spent a lot of time on Reddit on and off, and found it incredibly toxic. There's something uniquely frustrating about seeing perfectly valid and interesting comments silently downvoted into no longer even showing on the main view, just because there's a contingent of people who disagree. The default behaviour being to suppress any comment a sub disagrees with, even a fairly benign one, is just horrible imo.

The Elite Dangerous subs are good examples of this. It's very fashionable to hate the game's creators, FDev, to the extent that if you comment anything positive about FDev and their activity at all - even something as benign as "I actually really like this patch, just because it fixed this thing and now I'm enjoying the game more!" - you'll get immediately downvoted into oblivion by angry "fans" whose entire raison d'etre is to hate FDev. It's mad. And mean-spirited. And childish.

My favourite subreddit is ChangeMyView, which specifically has the downvote functionality disabled. If you try to downvote someone, you basically get a little popup telling you to stop being a lazy PoS and actually reply instead, explaining why you disagree.

Pete J likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

This should be the default behaviour for any up/down vote/like/etc, ever.

Pete J and silk186 like this.
  9. silk186

silk186 Derp

All attention is good attention, all engagement is good engagement. At least on Youtube, some platforms may be different.
    My SO makes content on social media. She had some trolls when she was smaller but they stopped when she got bigger and her fans would attack them.
    She uploaded the same content to two other platforms and did not experience any trolling.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

* Looks for dislike button *

Fking bit-tech.

:p

boiled_elephant and Mister_Tad like this.
  11. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would assume that creators can see this information. At least on some other platforms you get complete analysitcs, when people like, when people follow and when people stop watching are all graphed to the video timeline.
    I've only uploaded a few videos to Youtube so I can say for sure, but I would expect this to be available, at least if you reach a certain number of followers.

This is a support page you can check

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What I miss is the down-vote actually meaning something on user posts. Someone can say a horrible or dumb thing and the up-votes cling to it giving it a kind of validity. But the down-votes do nothing. Been a few years now that they just don't register. Was Youtube afraid of hurting peoples feelings or something? Worthless system if it only works in one direction.

Well ok the most liked rise to the top, but dislike should still be visible.

13. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

You know what I absolutely hate? When people don’t acknowledge the time, money and effort that goes into running some sorts of channels.

In particular I find it galling when I see people dislike a video for something as inane as asking people to subscribe or going through a merchandise store. Heck, disliking because a video is sponsored by RAID SHADOW LEGENDS is also pretty crummy.

Where does this entitlement come from that insists people should produce content for you for free? They’re devoting their time and money to this content, bloody support them instead. I go out of my way to use the affiliate links and stores from channels I follow for this reason, it costs me nothing extra but I get to support somebody whose content I enjoy.

Similarly, get this, people actually subscribe if you ask them to! If you don’t, they have a habit of just moving on. That’s not to say you must ask, but it’s a definite difference. It’s been particularly evident in the bit-tech discord actually. The server has been linked in videos for ages, but the moment I actually plug it, you get a flurry of new members. If I simply casually drop that it’s in the description, the engagement is much lower vs saying “It’s the best place to get behind the scenes info, as well as just have a good all round chat and share your projects with us”.

Bloody_Pete and Pete J like this.
  14. silk186

silk186 Derp

Channels need to make money but have some standards, RAID SHADOW LEGENDS is an automatic dislike for me. Only promote that aren't dodgy turds, make it relevant to your video and don't read the same lame script that everyone else is reading the same raycon earbuds script that everyone else is using and maybe they won't get downvoted. Advertising needs to be entertaining to be effective.

Other issues listed above, long annoying intros that are the same for every video suck. I don't watch intros on tv why would I watch them on youtube?

15. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

On one hand, I agree, IMO sponsored segments should be somewhat enjoyable at the very least, Mista GG definitely shows it can be done. That said I'm not going to make some ridiculous stipulation that a channel I watch should turn down a massive cheque just because I'm an entitled dickwad.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just skip it? You think you find it annoying, I have youtube premium, so its even more so for me! But I don't care because I know people have to make a living and youtube income is basically non existant any more.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

While some people might see it as a slight on the hard work of the creator, ultimately it is an "I dislike this" button, not downvote or similar. It's understandable that some people click it when they, er, dislike a video, for whatever personal reason(s) even if the video seems objectively worthy of praise to most.

This is probably further encouraged by how heavily and openly Youtube leans on algorithms for personalized recommendations. Clicking I dislike this could well be used with the intention of show me less of this, which again could well be used when a video (while objectively excellent) just doesn't engage that user for whatever reason.

Ultimately Youtube like and dislikes are a very different beast to reddit up/downvotes and should be treated as such. I wouldn't pay too much heed to the inevitable and constant dislike noise that occurs for whatever reason.

18. silk186

silk186 Derp

I skip the majority of the boring plugs which I'm not bothered with. The bigger channels should have enough advertising offers to turn down RAID SHADOW LEGENDS and any other annoying or sketchy products. Greed will kill a social media platform, as soon as subscribers feel that your priority is advertising money you will bleed subscribers. Increasing the frequency of ads and pushing unpopular or crappy products is not a good long-term strategy. Why do people do it? crappy companies are willing to pay more to get you to push their crappy product.

19. silk186

silk186 Derp

A number of channels have spoken on this. A financial channel said he constantly gets offers for shady get rich quick, guaranteed investment scheme that will pay a lot more than legit products. I've also heard one or two YouTubers the quoted a much higher than normal price to RAID SHADOW LEGENDS and the company agreed to it.

Channels have an option: advertise products they would buy and get paid a bit less or push crap products for short term gains.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

RSL offers most youtubers obsurred amounts of money. Of course they're going to take it, its a exstence where you don't know where the next income is coming from.