1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Blacklight Demons (plexi fulltower)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [WP@]WOLVERINE, 11 Dec 2003.

1. Bildonia

Bildonia What's a Dremel?

THAT CASE IS SO SATANIC...I LOVE IT...keep up the good work!! :rock: :rock:

2. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

:thumb:

While I'm not really a fan of demons and whatnot, that drawing/etching is top-notch. If you make the insides really pretty, you could give G-Gnome a run for his money. :D

I hate to thread hijack, but at what speed do you cut acrylic with a jigsaw?

3. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

this case is damn flawless right now....

unbelievable work.... keep it up!!

just make sure you dont mess it up like most clear cases do by having messy wiring.... but i have faith that you wont do that ;)

but amazing etching, keep the work up :)

4. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

I tried at first to go slow with low speed but that seemed to make the edge a bit to rough so i used the jigsaw on full BLAST :D but pushed it forward very slowly that way i got a smooth edge that didnt require much sanding and since i hate sanding thats a Gooooood thang :hip:

5. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

People who say, "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop." will have to edit it a bit...

Nice etching! try filling the plexi tube with sand.... It will hold the shape quite nicely!

6. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

WOW! That is a big case, verry cool to.
    Nice etching. :eeek:

How tall is that case?

"Välkomna, Svenskar!"

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

The case is a whopping 76cm tall :D

8. Thunder_return

Hehe, that´s big.
    I thought my case was big, only 64 cm tall. :rolleyes:

9. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

76cm....nice! But couldn't you have got a bit further and broken the 1m mark? Yeah, I know it would have probably meant another 50 or so holes to be drilled, but then it would probably take about 20 hard drives :lol:.

10. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Just curious as to what kind of lighting you used to light that etch up in the pic, was is a laser LED kit or just multiple LED's- I ask because I'm trying to light my etches up and apparently putting EL wire all around the window doesn't do the job well enough.

11. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

he used a hacked up laser led as i remeber
    but also said he will use glowing uv paint in the final version
    can t wait :brrr:

12. Reason_no1

Reason_no1 What's a Dremel?

Ehhh hummmm...
    Lost the words........
    This is Sweet....Keep the good work up...

:jawdrop:

13. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Hehe actually the light comes from a hacked up bicycle rear light the new bicyclelights have very bright leds in them so i used them to light it all up. But i will be lighting everyting up with uv when the case is done.

As for breaking the one meter mark i didnt feel that i needed more than 13 drives and also the acrylic sheets came in 70cm pieces so i went with that. :)
    I have also been working on some little details on the case and there will be a small update later on lonight so stay tuned :D

14. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

The last time I cut plexi ( not too well for many reasons ) the edges got quite hot (on full blast) and the shavings melted to the edges (not very nice!) :wallbash: :wallbash:

15. [WP@]WOLVERINE

I think there are many types of acrylic/plexi some more or less heat resistant because i havent noticed any problems at all with melting i just cut away full blast and it works (dont ask me why) :D

And now for some new pictures!!

As i was sitting down today with a cup of coffe i noticed that all those holes in the drive bay sides (196 of them) were not wery nice to look at
    [​IMG]

So i began thinking of a way to get rid of them and all the screwheads that would be sticking out later when the drives were mounted. I looked over to the big pile of plexi pieces that were thrown in a corner and all of a sudden it hit me :D why not make a few plexibars to hide both the holes and screws for the drives. So i grabbed the jigsaw and went to work! After about an hour of cutting sanding and painting this is what i came up with.
    I made them of the same 8mm plexi that ive been using all along and painted the backsides black.

[​IMG]

And finally a layed them out where they evetually will be mounted . I will use some small spacers to make enough room for the screwheads. The bars will be monted with two brass screws in each bar.

[​IMG]

i think the result came out really nice and with som UV paint on the edges later on they will glow to :D :D This was a really simple sollution but very effective.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  16. Thunder_return

Nice idea!

17. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

looks like your going for screwed in brass bolts and just wedging em into the holes in the hdd rack... ;)

18. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Now its time for yet another small update. Ive finished the drivebay now and it turned out really nice so heres some pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And heres a closeup. Sorry for all the dust and crap on the glass but it is work in progress :D

[​IMG]

Im not sure about the wingnuts i will try a few other types of bolts to see what looks best. But the wingnuts are kinda cool :D so i might just keep them but ill probably paint them black.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  19. blip1882

blip1882 What's a Dremel?

<neo>
    Woah!
    </neo>

Beautiful man... simply beautiful!

20. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

nice * total brain progress * :rock: