1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK so I was probably overdoing it, but last night at 10pm I was still working lol. I decided it was time to remove the water cooling from the old school rig. I was a bit sad, but I've used it once. I can put an air cooler in there though, so will do that at some point.

[​IMG]

Do those black fittings look familiar? they should, as I bought some yesterday /facepalm. Maybe I should have done that first and taken full stock of the fittings I have (I reckon about 50 no jokes).

Good news was I also found a 90 (ffs). One is a rotary 90 10/8 and the other is just a basic 90. Just like the 90 I bought yesterday lmfao. Oh well, they are Bitspower Premium, so I wasn't complaining.

2. Vault-Tec

OK so stage one, metalwork, should now be finished or close to finished. I cut the cable management holes, and cut down the rad holder. Once painted the rad holder will become a permanent part of the case.

[​IMG]

I also smoothed down anything sticking out toward the top.

[​IMG]

And cut away a load of metal from the back that used to be there to hold in the PCIE duct thing.

[​IMG]

Then I set about the bottom. Too quickly it seems, as I have cut the hole too big. Thank god you won't see it, then.

[​IMG]

Coming up next - rig gets a bath.

3. Vault-Tec

Time to build the pump up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then paint.

[​IMG]

Entertainment hah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK so basically I need to let it dry, then put on another coat, then flip it over and repeat (there are parts I need it upside down to paint). The rad holders only need one more coat and they are done.

4. Vault-Tec

Fan decals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Vault-Tec

Electronics rambling.

Yay.

6. Vault-Tec

Second coat "right side up" is done. The rad carriers are now complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will give it 24 hours, then tomorrow turn it the other way and paint the top (well, it will be on the bottom when I paint it).

7. Vault-Tec

Yesterday I started planning the front panel cover (where the drives used to be). I have two power meters (electronic, red) so will be using those to display 5v and 12v. I also have the temp gauge (red). One thing I have wanted for ages though is a clock on my PC. When I am gaming I lose track of time, and there's no way of knowing the time without either turning around 180' or putting a clock on my desk. I tried overlays, but they rely on DX11 so of course the overlays do not work with DX12. So I decided to get this.

[​IMG]

Which will also go in the front panel. The front panel will end up resembling the panel in the car in Back To The Future, which is quite funny with this being the Time Sync. However, there is one last twist.. I gotta build it myself :D

[​IMG]

But hey, no pain no gain right?

I will be finishing up the paint tonight once I get back from the skate park.

_Prometheus_ likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

:thumb: great idea to re-design the inside of your alienware, can't wait to see that "back to the future" front panel :grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Thanks Kim. I might even get a Dymo printer and print labels for it :D

I took a pic close up of the paint in the sunlight a moment ago.

[​IMG]

It's got like a pearl/gold flake thing going on that looks really nice. I am very happy with it, glad I went with the hammered texture now.

10. Vault-Tec

Flipped it over and painted what needed painting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more coat tomorrow ought to end the paint stage.

11. Vault-Tec

Painting is finished now. I did not take any pics as there was no point. I will need to let it fully cure and harden now for a few days, but in the mean time I ordered these.

[​IMG]

They hold 200kg, so should be enough lol.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Maybe I should get some for my chair :)

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Vault-Tec

At some point (only god knows when) I will be moving into a flat half this size, if that. It doesn't worry me as tbh I am sick of cleaning and hoovering it all but yeah at some point the rig needs to be moved and then I will have to have it on the floor. I am not sure how to fit them yet, as I think they will foul the PSU etc but I will work that out when they arrive..

Any way today I set about sorting out the IO panel with the USB etc. I decided to ditch Estata (as I broke it) FP audio and Firewire. I have never used any of those. So I made a small blanking panel and covered it with brushed black acrylic.

[​IMG]

Then I figured I would basically sort out the mess of cables coming from it. I have done solid, yet ugly, repairs on them twice. And it shows. So I figured I would cut out the ugly wiring, braid it black, then put it all back together.

Then I realised my entire soldering outfit was at my mother's /facepalm. It would cost me £30 to go over in a taxi and get it, or I could have it all brand new for about £40. So I ordered it (Prime)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I needed some more of these, too.

[​IMG]

14. Vault-Tec

The painting is now finished. I will now let it sit for about a week to fully harden up. As you can see I've had the roof out because I needed to make 100% sure that the roof motor would not foul the front rad once it was bolted in. Thankfully (I've had the roof on and rad in) it clears OK.

[​IMG]

I contacted the company who I ordered the acrylic from today and apparently they are shipping it today. So it should arrive soon hopefully. Will do some soldering later and rewire the FP connectors.

15. Vault-Tec

First panel is done and fitted. Note, I haven't taken off the protective layer and the rad is only there so I know it fits..

[​IMG]

Goes right up to the top.

[​IMG]

16. Vault-Tec

Floor made (two parts).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now need to go back to the drawing board to design the next part. I have a few ideas in mind, but need a donor board to make sure they will fit/clear etc.

17. Vault-Tec

OK, so the last update for a few days (got a wedding at the weekend and need to leave tomorrow). For the past two days I've been working on how to get a 7" HDMI monitor into the floor. First I scanned it.

[​IMG]

Then I had to translate that into a stencil.

[​IMG]

Ignore the "Cables" part, that is only there for now to remind me which way to orientate the screen. I literally had 3mm to play with here. I then sent that to the plotter.

[​IMG]

Then set to work with the Dremel. Do note *this is not finished*. It is far from it, I am waiting on an order of acrylic to finish it with. I will go through what I need to do when I update next :)

[​IMG]

Perfect for displaying temps, the weather etc lol.

kim likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Pic sans template. The screen is kinda weird, because the way it mounts there is a 3mm gap between the glass on the screen and the hole you cut. So, I need to get some clear acrylic (ordered) and cut a panel that makes it flush with the hole, then cut a bezel out of black that I can get perfectly straight edges on. It is not possible to cut perfect edges when the cut out is "into" the material. You have to tilt the Dremel to get access. This will be resolved with a small bezel.

Adding the clear layer will also strengthen the part and stop it sagging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I bought my PA3 (a small computer that controls pumps, fans etc) I got a license for the software. I never did finish it (it would probably be a day's work to build my front end) but I will now. So as frivolous as it seems it will be incredibly handy.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

CABLES :lol: Seriously, a dot would've been enough, even for Captain Forgot-My-Pants <-here.
    Tilt the dremel? That's where files come into play.
    Looking great, though. :D I'm guessing you will need a hole in that panel for the cpu backplate?

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I kinda like "CABLES". If you can't hided it make it a feature.

Vault-Tec likes this.