1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have bought this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the back plate, you won't see it. I just can't live with doing all of the work I have and having to have it look like it does now. I should be able to recoup some money selling the block and plate that's on there.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

I wish you can sell it, regarding the original price of the case and all what you bought to upgrade, it certainly cost you an arm, but it's fully understandable for an "hardware addict" like me..:grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Thanks Kim that's really kind of you. Yeah, it had to be done. It just didn't look right at all.

Thing is I am not sure I will ever need more power than I have. Gaming wise I have shifted all but all of it over to consoles, so I just use my PC for everything else. That is why I have not bought any hardware since last June. There's just nothing I find exciting, would rather have WC stuff :D

Defyant Mods likes this.
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

I understand what you mean, I can imagine that your bi-Xeon on an x99 board is fully satisfying, and consoles do their job with the games you play, what is the real purpose of a new rig when you've got enough power for all usings...I've got 3 main rigs, the most powerful is based on a x79 board, driving 40 PCI 3.0 lines with 32 GB of RAM and an I7 4930k slighly pushed to 4 GHZ, very satisfying for me, then my FX8770 (unfortunately in standby with my nanoTV mod...cuz I ain't got time to work on it) and my old Q9400 still running great too, without mentioning a dozen of consumer computers I saved from junkyard... but I can tell you that I envy professional modders who can get the newest gear every year to mod it, and if I had bigger money, I would invest in a new rig, like a ZEN platform, just because hardware insanely excites me :grin:

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Very nice piece of kit ! i cannot wait to see it lit up :rock:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Me either haha. I had to go broke for the next two weeks for that :D

Thing is, I gotta look at it for the next few years so it was a sacrifice worthy of doing IMO.

7. Vault-Tec

GPU block was out of stock. Gutted. Have ordered this from OCUK.

[​IMG]

Should be with me Friday with any luck.

8. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Still a sexy block,maybe some diy rgb :grin:

9. Vault-Tec

Totally lol. I remembered I bought two fan frames. Inside them are thin white LED strips that are bent to curve. I should be able to remove one and re purpose it :)

10. Vault-Tec

The block arrived super early (yesterday) and is still vacuum sealed and untouched. Was soooo happy, it's actually super nice (there's a logo on the top that looks really nice).

I will fit that Monday, when (which I have decided) I cut the vertical mount. I don't want the card so damn close to the board. I really wanted the build done, but I guess I got a second wave of patience. It's really dragging, but I am determined to get it right.

The snake fitting has been lost, so I am trying to sort out a replacement there. Just little niggling things. I'm also not getting anything out of the USB system and I can only run the rig with no coolant for about ten seconds. I don't know why it is not getting a signal, but the screen and clock are refusing to work. It all tested fine before and I've done some testing on the wiring and it's all where it should be. Odd, but I will get it there.

I've also ordered more hose, as the one I have is not 10mm and thus you can pull it straight out of the fittings. *sigh*. I have ordered 11mm now (in black which I am determined to have) so hoping it's thicker so the fittings can bite and seal properly.

Other than that not much going down ATM, am sorting out a build for my friend's boy.

Ordered some fittings to try and replicate the snake. Two of these.

[​IMG]

And two of these

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2018
    Defyant Mods likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

OK update. Bit the bullet and removed the CPU block and fitted the AIO and my old Quadro in order to get to the bottom of the USB problem. Nothing happened at first, then when I removed and replaced the main connector Windows finally said "USB failure. One or more ports is failing to work due to insufficient power".

I disconnected the clock and screen and it sprang to life. Bit of jiggling, some solder etc and I now have the clock and screen running from the 5v of a spare SATA power connector.

It works, it actually works !

I've fitted the new block with the FE back plate and it looks gorgeous. I also took the Dremel to the vertical mount and pulled the card forward one slot, meaning everything fits as it should. Little bit of paint to do on that tomorrow, then I am literally a roll of hose away from finishing the rig.

Will try and get pics tomorrow.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see I have moved it a full slot forward.

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I should'nt say it..... but that is a thing of beauty :grin:

14. Vault-Tec

It's sooooo much better. Seriously I fitted it in there last night and I was like "Yup, now it's right !".

I can use my EVGA Powerlink now too, though it hits the block when pulled in so I need to make a piece of acryl to fill the void (or it looks stupid). I have some flat black acryl coming tomorrow, will bash something out (ooer).

Sadly the only place I could find selling black 11mm hose is in China, so hopefully that should be here within the next couple of weeks. Then it's simply a case of plumbing it in and that should be it. Which will give me some time to save for some photography lights and a backdrop. I do have a very good camera (Sony 1080p thing with a Carl Zeiss lens) so I will use that for the final pics.

Edit. Oh yeah, what's also very cool is I can now use any 1x PCIE device on a ribbon in behind the GPU. Seriously, why do modders need to invent this bloody stuff?

15. Vault-Tec

Stupid annoying gap in Powerlink be gone.

[​IMG]

16. Vault-Tec

Wow I started this in August. Crazy !

Most of it has been waiting on parts and other factors. That and saving up money as I went to make changes I did not plan on. However, the hose has arrived and other than feeling a bit stiff it's definitely the correct OD and ID. So I will have a go at piping the rig up next week. During the interval I have also saved up for and purchased a 1tb NVME SSD, so that's kinda exciting too given I am using an M.2 SATA drive to boot from currently.

17. Vault-Tec

It.Is.Alive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Vault-Tec

Changed to an actual camera. Still work to do, so not ordered lights and backdrop yet.

[​IMG]

Sadly when I pulled the masking it took off some paint. I was really mad, then realised I had loads of touching up to do any way in areas I missed etc.

[​IMG]

Still very annoying though. Wiring is now pretty much finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Vault-Tec

Just bought this. 2400mhz, but will run at same speed as my existing 4x4

[​IMG]

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks great. :D Getting all that stuff back in the case cleaned you house up tremendously too.
    That back panel wall-o-wires looks right at home in a Dell. :lol: