1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: LN23 *** last pic : 22/09 ***

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tortuegeniale, 7 Mar 2004.

1. tortuegeniale

tortuegeniale What's a Dremel?

cutting for mini-window done, I put white piece of paper on the two other galvanometers while waiting to do something about it..
    [​IMG]

closer look on the mini-window, we can see the mobo and especially the cpu fan
    [​IMG]

test with the cold cathode
    [​IMG]

in darkness, it looks better than my first test because there is the mobo and I think it reflects and the light is more diffused in the little holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 25 May 2004
  2. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

Totally cool! The holes are really neato with the green. The brain is cool to me in that I would never do that. I don't like slimy things + computers, but that makes it that much more unique. That being said, you gotta light that sucker up.

3. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Looking good...looking good...your right..the green is alittle too dark...altho I would use the cooking oil...gives it more of a specimen look..I think..but.its up to you... :thumb:

Nice job on the mini window...altho for a better effect..off set the cold cath...that way its not situated right in front of the window..

Or even better...if you have the room...put it behind the mobo (possibly 2 cathodes depending on room and how much light you want) that way the light comes out through the tiny holes and it lights up the mobo to see....that way you don't see the "form" of the cathode running vertical and it doesn't block window...

Just an idea to clean it up...good work so far...makes me want to continue modding on my case..but..gotta get some other work outta the way first.. :waah:

4. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I'm with him on this one, almost. At least in the pictures the green is really, really dark. One nice thing about the oil is that if it ever leaks, it shouldn't kill your mobo/chip. If you want the green oil get some regular (relativly clear or lightly colored) oil and some dry powered food coloring. You should be able to find it at a cake decorating supply place or specialty food store. It is the same stuff as in liquid or gel food coloring, but without water, so it's oil soluable. (it's what the pro's use to make different colored chocolates) That way you could add a little (and i mean a little) at a time, til you got it the right shade of green.

Also I thought to solve the brain floating problem (and if you put it in oil you could wire the lighting this way as well) you could take some solid wire (or even coat hangers) and make electrodes connecting the brain to the bottom of the sphere.

Anyways, just some thoughts. It's looking awesome! When I made my first post I never thought it would look this good. :dremel:

5. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

you could try using green cordial instead of the syrup. Fantastic mod keep up the good work :dremel:

6. tortuegeniale

update time
    not a lot of effective work but more unfinished ideas

my mod had been attacked ! here the bomb/cd.. fortunately, after a small cleaning, my dvd drive is still functional...
    [​IMG]

I started to work on the borders of 5'1/4 bays
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

piloux sent me this pic, it's remind me another inspiration which I had forgotten: a technology in the game Alpha Centauri called "clinic immortality"
    [​IMG]

a numeric keypad to be able to use the basic functions (especially music) without keyboard
    [​IMG]

a little bit of shopping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

................ :worried: you should think I'm nuts with this plastic refiller that is destroying the mod and that it's insane to want to add a spider.............
    I fear also the result :waah:
    I want that the bottom look like it's attacked by a black organic thing similar to some sort of alien
    I want to use this tutorial "alien fossil mouse" :
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/tutorials.html
    [​IMG]

after thinking a lot about the sphere, I decided to try the other possibility, a half-sphere with a plexy part
    [​IMG]

7. tortuegeniale

few tests to find a good way to top the half-sphere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the spider placement just to give me an idea.. it looks awful but I can't show u yet the pics I have in my head :sigh:
    [​IMG]

8. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

looks like somethin out of dexters lab, cool :D

9. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

i was thinking more of the movie the man with two brains

JEEVES

10. backseatmiddlehump

backseatmiddlehump What's a Dremel?

I must admit I was a bit skeptical until I saw the brain. I like the smaller sphere better. But then again what do I know. Coming along nicely.

11. tortuegeniale

2 good news, 1 'bad', up to u to choose which is
    -> bit-tech asked me to write an article :blush:
    -> Custom PC writed me also to write an article about how I built my mod (I was thinking about a joke so I mailed them on their website and it looks serious :blush: )
    -> I'm just posting my 2 last pics before making a pause on the project because I want to study an idea of my brother : a mechwarrior mod (mix of a mechwarrior of MS' game and Matrix's mech, for a ATX mobo).

I killed this naughty spider
    [​IMG]

Then I glued it & attached it
    next step, mastic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 May 2004
  12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

You know what could have been cool...if you attached the Cut Spider legs you have there to the Brain. Maybe airbrush some brain-colors onto the legs. It would look like a nasty Brain-Monster thingee in the glass jar then.

Well, it seemed cool to me. :eyebrow:

13. TomboyMS

TomboyMS What's a Dremel?

"your right..the green is alittle too dark...altho I would use the cooking oil..."

Extra virgin olive oil is naturally green. I dunno? Just an idea.

14. MooCow Man

MooCow Man What's a Dremel?

This really is great, I love it when people just say "what the hell!" break with traditional and go all out to create something totally unique. :thumb:

15. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

lol :naughty:

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

It can go rancid though. Mineral Oil is a good way to go, get it from your local drugstore. Dye it one drop at a time...

17. tortuegeniale

00.Update : Intro

This mod is back.. but in another flavour : "industrial & rusty touch".. chrome part didn't look good when cutted and I had a crush on Piloux & other rusty mods

let's start from the (almost) beginning again
    [​IMG]

some preliminary drawings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    vertical slot-in dvd drive, with a custom security logo :
    [​IMG]

some material I will use :
    pioneer 120s slot-in dvd drive , eject button and activity led mod, and a little window (in order to don't have to switch on the computer to see if a disc is inside)
    [​IMG]
    zalman zmfc1 fanbus, very easy to dismount and integrate
    [​IMG]

painting tests
    [​IMG]

before I find the rust paint, I was thinking about a verdigris effect, so in some pics, there will bronze painting that is definitively not the final color
    [​IMG]

nice orange rust will be my choice, maybe with some grey parts non oxyded
    [​IMG]
    I will add rust near the end of the mod, so in most of the pics, u will see the underlying color "titanium grey"

some buttons..
    [​IMG]
    a nice emergency stop button -totally in the industrial theme- will be on the top of the case (I will try to make it stop the sound, and not the power because this kind of button attracts too many innocent hands)

18. b!p

b!p What's a Dremel?

Your mod is beautifull, I think that orange with grey is a good choice :thumb:

But what are the dimensions of your mod ? It's a big case, isn't it ?

19. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Hey man...glad to see ya back!

Love the drive sticker! Thats a riot! I have but one problem....the rusting...I liked it chrome..(btw..by all means do what you wish..this is just my thoughts) and I think pretty soon the rusting parade is going to drill that technique into the ground....again..its all up to you...

I like the sketches....the 1st one under the real picture..that looks pretty neat...I like the multiple switches (least I think thats what they are) at the bottom...

Anyways...keep up the good work...also..how'd that CustomPC article go?

20. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Dude sweet warning sign. My car stereo has almost done that to me a couple f times. I aggree with JavaDog, you should cut the spiders legs off and attatch them to the brain. Where did you get the slot loading drive?