1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

very nice :D

good work jeremy

Josh

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks, Josh!

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

Oct. 27th Small Update!

Well, I can admit I've been rather busy. I usually am quite busy in the month of October, but not for what you'd think. It's my favorite month and contains my favorite holiday. And I've been in All Hallow's Eve mode lately. I've been to a couple parties (and one I can actually remember) and to Halloween Horror Nights over at Universal Studios Orlando. Yeah...what an experience. I hadn't been in 7 years so it was a treat for me. Anyways, I guess this is a roundabout way of saying I've done literally squat on this build. :lol: Oh, and I also started playing Crysis this past friday evening (yeah, just now! I'm a little behind on games) and beat it on sunday. :D Lovely stuff.

Anyways, on to a small update for today. I want to get to the grocery store, and also home so I can doctor some minor wounds. I'll explain.

After a bit of wiring, I started to plumb the system.

[​IMG]

It's weird. My camera doesn't like the red tubing. it thinks it has Spaghettio's® or V8® plumbed in it or something. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Here's a top-down shot of the IDE bays with the two pumps in there.

[​IMG]

This is why I have wounds. I hate having to push tubing onto barbs (7/16" tubing onto 1/2" barbs for those that are curious), because after a while my nails start to tear from my fingertips from constantly pushing. It's slightly painful and annoying as all-hell. Plus bleeding on expensive gear sucks!

A rough progress...

[​IMG]

I also got the LED's wired up on the pumps for some red evilness :rock: to show when the system's running.

[​IMG]

Not much, I know. Well I'm going to go home and play Crysis Warthead now. :D Yes, I typed 'Warthead'.

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That seriously looks awesome! Great craftsmanship.

5. Attila

Attila still thinking....

What he said ^^, that PSU looks gorgeous. :clap:

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

If your camera has the option use PASM mode, use a very slow shutter speed. Turn flash off, use tripod. Go into options and see if there is a 'lighting' settings or something similar. My camera I can change the light setting to Tungstun, Flourescent, Outdoors etc... and it will help show the real color of objects. :thumb:

Maybe you knew all that though. :)

Maybe I missed it but what kind of block did you use? EK or DD or something else?

I totally love your awesome wiring management. I love that kind of stuff. Make everything hidden and look simply amazing.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

WOW tubing is remarkable. Also that mobo cover really is sweet.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thank you!

Thanks, mate!

Yeah, I rarely if ever use the flash and always use a slow shutter speed and 'lighting environment type', and of course a tripod. Unfortunately, the camera's not much more sophisticated than that.

On the GPU, it's an EK block. CPU is a DTek Fuzion, and the chipset is an EK base but a custom top for it to fit this particular chipset, because Eddy never made one (at the time) for the X38 chip.

Thank you! I'm still working on it though. Wiring is always a hassle to deal with.

Thanks, mate!

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Very nice, E.E.L If I do this much, I'll have to look into a better camera. Mine is point and shoot Kodak Easyshare. Put on tripod, push button, put on photobucket, done.
    Your pics are amazing.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have the same problem. Everyone thinks my case is orange now.
    :eyebrow: You really didn't paint the laser etch?

11. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

can we haz a shot from the front please?

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, John. I can admit my pics have gotten a bit better over the past year. I actually started to care. :hehe:

I really didn't paint the raster. It seems to react that way; this color more than others it seems. If I were to take some Novus and polish it out a bit, it'd dial down the 'white effect', but I kind of like it.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

All in due time! :D

14. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one E.E.L,very nice :thumb:

15. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

cool, cant wait ^_^

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

Oct. 28th Smaller Update!

Okay, yet another small update. A bit smaller than yesterday, but it's cool. I'm moving along. I'll get right to it.

I continued to work on the plumbing for the system. I think I'm okay with it as is, but I may tear it out and re-do it later. I don't know. I'm sure it's fine the way it is, but things can always be improved upon.

Here's a quick shot of how the loops look right now. I still need to run some hose coils around it, but I'll get to that after the rig's all up and running.

[​IMG]

I finally was able to get around to running the final hoses from the fillports to the pumps, which is a ------, if you know what I mean. Having longer hands and trying to fit them into a small space with barely any way to see anything can be a bit frustrating. But I managed. I had the same problem last incarnation of this build too. It's cool.

Here's a quick shot of the pumps all sitting and ready to be fired up.

[​IMG]

This is funny. The inside bayplate's measurements were so close, they were almost too close. The PA rad is literally kissing the plate's top edge. You probably can't see it well in this pic, but it's pretty much right against it. :hehe:

[​IMG]

I probably should've given things a bit more breathing room, but it's fine. I just wanted to close off the bays as much as possible to counter light leakage, etc. The top case panel went on fine and I got the screws into it, so it's all good. Worse case scenario, I'll just sand it down a bit.

Here's another angle shot of the inside of the rig so far. I still have a bit of some work to do. I also have some other stealthplates going on too, but I'll get to that later.

[​IMG]

I have some more games I need to slam through, so this is why this update is light in calories. I started playing Crysis Warthead last night, and I beat it too. :hehe: Short, but sweet. I can understand others' frustrations with the game and/or storyline, but I personally enjoyed it because I'm just a shooter-kinda guy. I really hope Crytek makes even more of them. I'm sure others picked up on hints of 'other teams on the island', etc., so it seems natural.

And as requested earlier, here's a shot of the rig from the front. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

17. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Sweetness...

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

That's very sexy. Well done mate, very well done.

I'm watching this one with continued enthusiasm.

Keep is coming!

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Simply awesome. Defeintly need the coils on the hose coming off the left barb of the video card. ;)

Front panel is awesome. How do you do all that etching and stuff (by the switches on the front panel)? Get it done by some CNC machine or by hand? If by hand what do you use? I've tried some with my Dremel but either I suck at it or im not using the right bit (probably both).

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, Craig!

Thanks, Langer! I appreciate it.

Thank you! I'm a graphic designer by trade, and I have occasional access to a laser. Everything's designed to exact size and standards, and cut and/or etched. There's no way these intricate detailed designs can be etched by hand!

Tags: