1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

Ah, that explains it. :) I must have been lucky enough to go in when it was on offer.
    Hmmm... true, though with a lighter if you're using it to heat the blade it'd take longer to get it hot enough, & if you use it directly on the frayed ends it's easy to over do it & mess it up.

BTW, is a shame Enak didn't take detailed measurements of the waterblock when he had it for creating the new mounting plates, he could have started making copies for those that want them.

@ Nexxo: just out of curiosity, don't suppose you have any pics of the block's innards?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2005
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not anymore... In any case it is Paul Vodrazka's design and I don't feel it should be copied without his permission --even if he has dropped off the radar for the moment. But it is really just two narrow, deep S-shaped channels sprouting from an inlet hole and merging at the outlet hole in such a way that a vortex is caused.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I blame you, Nexxo.

A week ago I was happy with my computer. I had a general vision of a dual Opteron system for my next computer, but nothing specific. Having some time to kill I googled dual opteron water cooling and stumbled across this thread and now I'm ready to start ordering expensive parts! It's all your fault!

Seriously, I'm very impressed with the box you've built there. Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration!

4. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

5. Nexxo

Interesting... I'm not sure I have the time, however. :(

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

I have just spend 3 - 4 hours on and off reading this log, it is tre brilliant! i love it, plenty of insparation to my mod :D

7. koola

koola Minimodder

It's an excellent log of a great system :thumb:

Did I hear about Metaversa 2...... ;)

8. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

LCD screen is awesome. I went to the samurize link though and it appears to have gone. It simply says stardock.com.
    and the stardock site deosnt appear to have samurize although i'm still looking

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

10. FragK

FragK What's a Dremel?

Really nice mod. What do you run the 5" lcd on, a PCI graphics card?

11. blue_fusion

blue_fusion What's a Dremel?

I love this mod man, I just have one question, where do you get those hex bolts from? Ive been looking for them everywhere but can't seem to locate any.

12. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

You can still get a copy from here.

13. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

that samurize display looks awesome, do the moving bars on the left tween their movement? or does it just redraw with the newly received temps etc?

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Hey Nexxo,

Now that you've been living with the Metaversa for a while, what are your impressions of the MSI K8T Master2 FAR? I'm planning one for my next machine and i wanted to get some first hand input on it.

15. Nexxo

Lots of questions. OK, one by one:

- The screen is ran off the main GPU card, a Radeon 9800 Pro, from the S-video port. This will happily run alongside the 1600x1200 20" TFT running off DVI, without any appreciable slow-down or complications.

- For Samurize, follow Xen0phobiak's link listed above. It is a big site, with forums, downloads etc.

- The hex bolts come from Inox Fasteners in the UK. In the US look at places like Fasteners Express, else check the modding sticky for useful addresses.

simosaurus: what do you mean? The bars and the numbers update and redraw every second. In principle it can do it way faster than that, but that starts eating into processor load unnecessarily. Temps are petty much stable most of the time anyway.

The MSI K8T Master 2Far initially had a fairly high d.o.a./problems rating but when you get a working mobo, it works just fine. Mine worked straight out of the box, without problems. So far it has remained stable and has never thrown up any problems. The NB stays nice and cool. It is AGP though, not PCI-X.

Keep in mind that the CPU sockets come with Xeon mounting holes, not Athlon ones, so you need to either use the heatsinks that come in the box, or fit Xeon heatsinks/waterblocks. Each socket also comes with a sturdy metal backplate to screw the heatsinks/blocks into. They take M3 screws.

The 2Far is now superceded by the 2Far7 series: practically identical but with the K8T Pro NB and 8 USB 2.0 ports instead of 6 and Soundblaster sound instead of a generic AC97.

If you can get your hands on the new K8N Master 2Far, you'll find it comes in black, and has PCI-X SLI graphic capability (yum!). Layout is more or less the same otherwise.

16. Nexxo

Oh, and...
    Yes, you did. :)

17. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

You mean PCIe, PCI-X is something completely different ;)

18. Nexxo

Yeah, like he said (I always mix the two up :duh: )... :)

19. Alien

Alien What's a Dremel?

It may have been a big site, but not any more. Now it's 1 otherwise blank page with just the word "stardock", that's why I posted that link to MajorGeeks.

20. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

It really isnt.

I'd take a screenshot if for some reason my print screen key isnt working :s.