1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Nice system, with some neat details, good job fella

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Zombie thread!

3. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Really nice project, superb work man :thumb: :thumb:

I can see how the project has dated a bit though ;) NV68 being new at the time, and AMP's being a dual processor system

But all the work done on this case is top notch :thumb:

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

OOO, nice, A slightly OFF topic question, where did you get the LCD from? im after one, either the 5" or a 7", so i can have an animated logo apon pressing the ON botton, preferably the Intel Core Duo 2 logo, as that will be part of my new system?:D

Sam

Last edited: 9 Sep 2006
  5. kimnkk

kimnkk What's a Dremel?

Wow very nice! I just read the whole log and i'm amazed - i really like the LCD you've done as well! :eeek:

My favourite thing though, is the theme/skin you used for Samurize - it looks so perfect and reminds me of those screens you see in sci-fi movies! :thumb:. Did you make that skin yourself, or is there a place i can download it from? :D. If not, any good skin websites that you recommend?

Keep up the good work :thumb:. Looking forward to Metaversa 2 :D

6. KolaKube

KolaKube What's a Dremel?

You design and make a PC mod in 2003 and people are STILL saying how good it is today three years on!!!!!!!!!!!
    This speaks volumes - It should get an award!!

Any chance of some up to date pics??

Nice work fella :thumb:

7. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Wow, didn't realise people still looked at this Nexxo, if that isn't the ultimate testament to your work then I don't know what is :rock:

8. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

even though it's old thread revival and so:

the LCD is a Psone LCD, it's run with Samurize software. I think -if I remember correctly- it's run from the s-video port. I'm using one of these in my case as well, inspired by this one :thumb:

9. KolaKube

Jokkos,

Would I need a seperate cheapy GPU to run the LCD screen.

I have a 7900GT but both of the DVI outputs are in constant use

10. jokkos

it depends: does it have an s-video or composite out (a tv-out)?

the Psone LCD can be powered by s-video or composite without any modding, or by VGA but then you have to do some soldering. The VGA mod does improve image quality. There are other factors to take into account (your video card needs to support c-sync, most nvidia cards don't have that).

because I use the s-video on my 6800GT to watch movies on my tv, I bought myself a gf4400mx card on the side for the PSone LCD. But beware: you can't have the secundary card run something on it's s-video port alone, there has to be something connected to its VGA-port as well. Can be a so-called VGA-dummy (look on google for this).

11. KolaKube

12. jokkos

yep that's what I do...

I'm also using my secundary vid card to power a second monitor on the pc...but that's still a secret for my project log so don't tell anyone. :D
    I have to do this because I use a small program to switch between pc and tv and that program doesn't work when there are two monitors attached to my main graphics card.

so in short: my set-up is:

6800GT, primary VGA connector to my main monitor and s-video port is connected to the TV

4400mx, VGA connector to secondary monitor and s-video port to the sony lcd.

The two pc monitors and the lcd screen will be configured to one horizontally stretched out desktop in windows, which is quite handy. The program I use to switch to the TV only takes into account the primary video card so it doesn't take this 3-screen thing into account. Also quite handy.

BUT AGAIN...if your tv-out on your video card is free, you can get the Psone LCD to work with that, no modding required...

----

Sorry for the thread-hijacking Nexxo! Any more discussion on this through pm or in my thread (see sig) please, to keep from getting any more off-topic in Nexxo's thread.

13. KolaKube

Jokkos

Thanks for that breakdown mate. Ive got a better idea of whats required now.

^^^^ Yeah but surely thats gonna be a hit on your GPU just useing one card.

At the mo my card outputs a cloned image to both screens IE one in my front room and one in my bedroom so I can play in either room.

Having two cards can only help and as said the secondry card doesnt have to be much so it not such an expense.

U agree?

14. jokkos

Yep I do agree on that.

15. KolaKube

is it an easy thing to do running a pc with two graphics cards.

Doesnt windows get confused?

Can you out put a seperate image to the LCD IE winamps milkdrop or monitoring software?

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Parts Express. They don't sell them anymore. Check the PSOne mod for an (admittedly complicated) alternative.

I designed it myself. Download an older version here. I really need to update it...

Windows handles two cards fine, as long as it has the drivers for both.

My 5" screen runs on the same card as my main monitor. It is hooked to the S-Video port and Windows recognises it as a secondary monitor. Running two monitors does not affect the speed of my graphic card. Note that you cannot do this with cards running in SLI mode.

I ticked the option "extend my desktop" and simply dragged and locked the Samurize config on the extended part of the desktop on the second screen.

You can also drag a Winamp visualisation in there and maximise its window to fit the screen (like you would on the main monitor). It should remember its position, so if you leave it there, it should re-appear there automatically the next time you start Winamp.

I will finish this project some time, but my life at the moment is complex...

17. KolaKube

Yeah - I mean how can you finnish this project when you have to answer my multitude of threads I start everyday asking awkward and pesky questions :hehe: :hehe:

18. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

And THAT, KolaKube, is SOOO true :D

19. KolaKube

20. jokkos

well there you go Kolakube, Nexxo answered your last question :thumb:

windows will handle two graphic cards without any problem as long as you've got drivers for both cards installed. This means of course that you should use two cards that won't conflict to much. There is a reason I'm using a 6800GT and 4400MX, both nvidia. If you try to put an ati together with an nvidia...who knows what will happen...