1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

sounds good shadow.

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Well, Im pretty much done with my Project:ZERO case so I figured its time to start on this one.

Firstly, let me tell you about the design I have in my head. Right now the one thing that really comes to my mind when looking at this case is sort of like a rocket ship design. The vents on the sides of the case and the way they kind of flare out just gives me the idea of some sort of fire/exhaust/propellent type thing. Im really favoring painting the entire thing chrome with the exception of a few parts.

Well, Now on to some pics

About a week ago I dropped the case while showing to my friend and the damn thing crack on other side:
    [​IMG]

And it goes on to the front:
    [​IMG]

Well, I dont think it will be hard to repair. Im thinking of maybe screwing the inside supports together and then maybe bondoing the small cracks and grooves.

Im also gonna get rid of this area where the front emblem used to be, im probably gonna fill it with bondo once I learn how to use the stuff:
    [​IMG]

Im also thinking of getting rid of the front button holes and maybe turning the entire front into some sort of door type thing like seen on those antec cases.
    [​IMG]

Im thinking of just leaving this hole here for maybe some USB ports and some headphone jacks:
    [​IMG]

All of the vents will have some aluminum added to them to make the extend out and kind of overlap each other like you would see on some heater vents only longer, Im also going to have some lights shine out through them:

The Left Vents:
    [​IMG]

The Right Vents:
    [​IMG]

The main hardware the I have right now that will definently go in the case is:
    Mobo: Abit NV7m Mobo from Project:ZERO, it has some problems but it should run just find for listening to music and watching DVDs.
    and Maybe this old 20GB HD which is also from Project:ZERO, It might go back into my very first case, The Bruise, To hold files, movies and MP3s most likely so that I can just setup a small network to get all my stuff organized.

Anyone have any tips on working with bondo or any ideas on how to fix the cracks?

Any Comments?

Last edited: 16 Aug 2003
  3. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Time for a minor update.

Today I decided to play around with the bondo. Maybe I should have practiced on something else but I just couldnt find anything to test one so I just figured what the hell and bondo'd the front of the case:
    [​IMG]

And here is a close up of the bondo job I did on the area that used to hold the SGI emblem:
    [​IMG]

Well, Im fairly confident that I will be able to sand it out. At least thats what Im hoping, if not Ill just scrape all that crap out and try again and If I fail I figured I could just put a pice of aluminum over that section of the front and make it into some sort of control panel.

Anyone have any tips on working with bondo?

Thats it for now.

4. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

bondo... :hehe: weird we call that here putty :D

anyways, yes I have tips since I use some for my projet ;)

1- apply with a putty (bondo) applicator. it's a piece of rubber. any other material will put too much putty for nothing leaving you with too much to sand for nothing.

2- sand with low grit sand paper. Why? because you'll likely have to sand the plastic too... and if you use 180 grits to sand the putty, you'll scratch the plastic...

3- Put little of putty. You better put 2 times putty on the cracks and holes that one since you'll have less sanding you'll be able to correct some errors on the go.

4- fill the holes first, sand, then put putty again but on the plastic too, then sand... it should go like this:
    --- : the hole
    ----- : the first coat of putty
    ------- : the second coat

(sorry... the board auto center the lines... so they're all on the left...)

by working with multiple coats of putty (bondo like you call it) you'll acheive a better result that putting one coat and trying to do it perfect on the sanding job... which is virtually impossible ;)

hope that helps :D

5. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

make sure you use enough of the hardener, the stuff you add, it should get kinda warm to hot, you have to work fast cause i dries quick, put lots on, and when you sand it, it gets even harder. i used this on my NESp project and it worked great, i can show you the pictures if you need help just let me know. MAKE sure you sand outside cause dust GETS EVERY WHERE. you might even want a fan to blow it away from you. Good luck to you and with your project:thumb:

6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sure, I would love to see the pics.

Anyway, I didnt touch the stuff to see how hot/warm it was I just added enough to give it that pink like flesh color, I remember reading somewhere that when It was that color it was just right. Also I did notice it hardened in about 5 mins.

Ill practice some more on this keyboard I have, I accidentally burnt a hole in with my soldering iron.

On a side note, Im not sure If I want to attempt to paint this myself, it has to many curves and whatnot. Ill probably get it done in an auto body shop or something. Anyone have any idea how much it might cost to get it painted chrome?

7. DeLorean5000

ok... pics are at....

doh im to slack to upload,host, ect...:lol: just go there looks for DeLorean5000's nesp, and the blue stuff is the bondo it looks really good, once you sand and paint you cant even see the slitest crack! or cut:hehe: ... about the paint im not sure, it was 300 dollars for an El Cheapo Paint job on my probe, and now it looks like crap:eyebrow: what you expect:confused: But i dont even know how much your case would be if they would even do it, i would paint it my self, if you mess up you can always re-do it its part of modding:p i wouldnt paint it chrome for 3 reason

1. it might kinda look wierd :)worried: But thats just me... and im wierd and i turned out alright:hehe: )

2. it doesnt look quite right, it tends to fade

3. not very durable(from what i have seen;) )

Good luck, i really like that case! i wish i had t3e mon3y to finish my ps2pc and all my 50 other projects:duh: i need a job:thumb:

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yeah, ive been kind of wondering about the color too.

I love the look of chrome but Im just not sure it would look to right too, I just cant think of any other color besides black and dark blue. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

Also, tonight I went out and baught some JB Weld as someone suggested on another forum.

I applied it to all the cracks and re-attached the piece that had fallen off and now Im waiting for it to cure.

If its as strong as the packaging suggest then I should be good to go by tomarrow.

9. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Holy thread revival Batman!

Looks like quite the challenge. Just remember, the judges at Everlan apparently go for the "bling bling" more than anything else (think corvette case).

As far as color goes, look around at some good art, like from www.deviantart.com, find a piece you like and use its primary colors. Since Im using water in mine all I can think about is blue, so Im no good for you.

You might check out one of those color changing kits. WalMart has them, Kmart has them, the auto shops have them. Its like a three step process but comes out looking sharp. Otherwise just call around to the local car paint shops for quotes on some metal flake. Just make sure all of the physical modding is done before the paint gets done.

I will be keeping my eye on you Det, after all, you're my competition. :eyebrow: :thumb:

10. DeLorean5000

ewww:eeek: :worried:

I have had horrable luck with the stuff hope it hoes well:geek: i think bondo would work better;) . i think maybe black and red would just be killer:thumb:

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

You sound competitive Shadowspawn, dont tell me your just in this for the prizes.
    Also, I dont think one of those color changing paint jobs would go real well with my design plan. Its more than likely going to be either 1 or 2 solid colors.

Anyway, here are some pics of the JB Weld job I did.

Well, the stuff comes in two tubes and you need to mix them evenly so I put an equal ammount of the stuff on a paper plate and mixed it with a toothpick. After mixing I first applied it to to cracked area closest to the part where the cornor had come up and then to the piece itself:
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic of it after I put it in place:
    [​IMG]

And here it is at a different angle:
    [​IMG]

Heres the JBWeld applied to the huge crack along the right side of the case:
    [​IMG]

I just tested the shell of the case out and it seems to be holding pretty sturdy. Next up on the list is to repair all the little grooves and hols in the case that need to be filled with bondo then its on to making the inner frame.

12. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

Glad that the JB Weld came out well. Why not try using white as the main color, and maybe paint the dark parts blue or green. Not many people would think to do that - modding a color case and making it white.

13. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I really hate white.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

14. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

the best thing I think you can do to pick a color... is watch cars colors in daily deplacements ;)

there's some colors that are very sweet *cough*like the BMW carbon black metallic*cough* :D

find a color on a car that you like, then get the paint code (there http://www.autovisuals.com/paintcode.asp) and then contact the dealer or a paint shop to know where you can get made the spary can :D but since you think about making it painted in a car body shop... you just bring the code and they'll paint it the exact color you saw :D

that way you'll have a very unique color since it's not paint that are sold on the shelves of a store :)

15. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

No, not just for the prizes. I enjoy the hobby. However, there are sweet prizes up for grabs, so yeah, competition comes into play. Don't say you aren't competitive either, I remember you sweating my design that failed. :eyebrow: :lol:

Good going with the JB Weld.

16. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I hope you find that tube Shadow.

You should see how horrible my bondo job is coming out. Im hoping that it will be ok in the end. Im pretty much done applying the bondo I just need to get the surface nice and flat again and rid the case of the scratches left by the 220 grit sand paper.

I just gotta get rid of some of the words on the left hole of the case that I will use for some USB ports and a headphone jack.

17. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

looks like a 3 year old got a hold of it~

18. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

A 3 year old very well may have Melov. I dont know. It was broken in a few placed when I baught it.

Anway, Ive been learning how to use that bondo and decided to go over all the cracks and areas that I glued.

Also, I re-glued the top bracket back on, it had broken off:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Front, where the emblem used to be:
    [​IMG]

And here is the left side, I did a horrible job on it but I got the hang of it by the time I moved to the right side:
    [​IMG]

And the right side:
    [​IMG]

and here is the back piece which I also required a little bondo:
    [​IMG]

Thats about it for now. I think all thats left now is for me to move on to the internal frame of the case.

19. DeLorean5000

looks Good! you did a great job:rock: it will look fine once you paint it

20. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I figure I step up the grit on the sand paper approprietly, I figure 400 then 600 and then It should be nice and flat. Then Ill work some more on the bottom piece of the case and see about getting it painted nice and proffesionally.