1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Sho Stopper - a few hardware changes...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [ShoNuff], 3 Jun 2005.

1. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I've got a few more surprises in my bag. Not really sure on the cost of the whole project as I have been buying bits over the last few months. Just thinking about the video cards, case, cpu and other things I would guess...$5K maybe? Its only money right. :hehe:

2. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

TN this one is for you!

I've gone through a few NB blocks for this project. At one point I was going to use the Innovatek block. It is really a solid block and looks nice. Unfortunately I cracked the thin plastic cover. :duh:

Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ultimately I ended up using the AquaComputer Twinplex blocks. Started with the copper and recently had the opportunity to upgrade to the silver. I’m still waiting on my Cuplex XT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the pic below I had to modify the retention bracket to work with the A8N-SLI. It is close but not touching.

[​IMG]

3. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Das silber block tut gut :clap:

4. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

:O .925 SILVER!!!!!1111oneone1!!11!!!1 now that is interesting :D

must admit, this mod looks really promising!

keep up the good (and fast) work

5. mr.X

mr.X What's a Dremel?

And I like it a lot! :D

I love the window cut. I'm not sure if I can do that with my jigsaw :dremel:

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Just a personal note - if you want to OC ram on that motherboard, either the V-Dimm mod or an OCZ DDR Booster will help immensely. I've found that voltage regulation and delivery is very poor and below on my board for anything past 2.8V

7. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I don't really know how much headroom I have in the Clawhammer core. Now, If I could get my hands on a San Diego FX-55 I think I would really have an opportunity to crank it up. :thumb:

Early reviews of the San Diego are mixed. I just think I may wait for the X2.

[​IMG]

8. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

AquaGraFx gpu blocks installed. Given the "mixed" metal situation I am definately going to use the AC Fluid.

Here are some internal pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was surprised to find out that the only thing keeping the water away from your card is the little rubber washer around the core. :worried:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sorry I didn't read whole topic but I'm pretty sure 510W PSU won't give enought juice for all that hardware! Those graphiccards and HDDs... sick :D

10. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

It'll power it. I've built similar rigs using the Antec Neopower, which is 480 watt.

11. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

That rubber thing is an O-ring. Many many many many waterblocks use it, like the TDX, RBX, etc.

12. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Rad Cover Part I

This is the model for my external rad cover. I didn’t like the look of the factory external mounting brackets because the rad just sat too high. I first submitted a template to Chris at Cutting Edge Case Mods and he took my design and made the finished product you see below. I knew what I wanted but lack the acrylic bending skills to make a decent cover. Chris did an awesome job based on the simple model I provided.

Both the top and bottom are made out of ¼" UV Green Acrylic. I ordered a Watercool rad cover to cover the fans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ll post the finished pics with the rad mounted later…

Last edited: 6 Jun 2005
  13. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

Yet another absolutely amazing looking v-series mod.

Whats that blue stripe I see going down the front? (or is it the back...?)

edit: cant tell if you've done this or not, but if not you need to close off the ends of the shroud.
    edit 2: actually, it looks like you have. ^^^ please ignore ^^^

14. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

very nice staff (and skills..)
    i want accses to water jet too :(
    i think that the plexi on top should be lower, why you need all the high? (rad and fans, no?)
    waiting for the next update!

15. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Excellent "copper-core" Aquagra FX6800 pictures..better than Aqua-Computer's. Thanks, very enlightening..

16. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Thanks uwanna. The blue stipe is just tape put there to help me align the rad cover properly. It won’t be there when I am done.

My goal was to make it as “low” as possible. The rad is 57.5mm high and the fans add another 25mm to that. When I post pics of the rad and the fans with the cover on I think you will be able to see what I am talking about. I started to use a Black ICE Extreme II rad for this project. That would have made the cover about 25mm shorter. I just liked the brushed aluminum look of the Watercool HTF-3

Thanks MS. Did you see the video of how these things are made? It is very impressive. Just think of the things you could make if you had one of those machines. :D Making of AquagraFX 6600 PCI-E Video

17. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Thanks for the info Dubya! It was just kind of weird when re-assembling the card knowing that I am trusting this moving part (ie., copper core) with an O-ring on it. I know the design works well. I leak tested extensively and not a single problem. :thumb:

18. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

External rad complete

In this first pic (without the top) you can see that there was little room to spare with regards to the overall height of the enclosure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the last pic with the flash on. This picture gives you an idea of just how the UV acrylic looks when illuminated.

[​IMG]

19. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

are you going to use fangrills?

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

That radbox looks very nice! Very nice indeed!

Good luck with the rest of the case!
    L