1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Superman - Case (29.07.07) 99% Done !

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dj Ovin, 22 Apr 2007.

1. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

The case at 29.06.07

[​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------

Hi there!

I have the spark that i had and the ideas keep coming! I haven't done so much since my last project, Black Diamond. I never finished that mod because some of my contacts wasn't doing their job. Thats why i didn't finished it, but i will continue after this one. This mod is for my girlfriend. She wanted a case with a Superman-theme.

The Sponsors
    Without them, no project.

[​IMG]
    Got an AC Ryan AcrylPanel 3mm UVBlue!

About
    One night in my girlfriends bedroom, we were talking about her getting a new computer. We started looking at cases, and then it hit me that i can mod her one! I found a perfect case for the mod, a Lian Li PC7BSCANDV3. The reason is simple - quality, good solutions and a very nice case! Then we had to find a theme, so we searched her computer for photos, and ended up with lots of superman-photos. The theme will be Superman. I started this thread to get some ideas and suggestions for the case.

Inspiration and ideas
    My inspiration is the superman-photos and some other projects. I red a guide, "Planning Your Case Mod" from Bit-Tech where i have gathered a lot of iedas from other casemods. The plan is to make a case so clean as possible but still so cool as possible, and if you take a look at the sketches, its possible! There are two main colors - black and green and small and bigger details in green plexi with alu.

What it's gonna look like
    The top of the case will just have a logo in green plexi with alu on the top. On the bottom of the case it wount be anything but stock holes and screws. In front i will stealth the Dvd with a plexi-bit on the dvd-drawer (round edges). It will be a plexi-bit around power, reset and the LEDs with alu, same at the USB/Audio ports. On the left side i will cut out a window like the Superman-logo with green plexi behind. On right side i will engrave a pic of superman and his logo. No changes rear, inside i will . The hardware you can see Here.

Update's
    Project started at 23.04.07
    23.04.07 - Case
    26.04.07 - Information
    27.04.07 - Power/Reset-button plus ideas
    30.04.07 - Update on the plans
    06.05.07 - Superman logo cutted out! Part 1
    06.05.07 - Superman logo cutted out! Part 2
    12.05.07 - Side Panel! Part 1
    12.05.07 - Side Panel! Part 2
    12.05.07 - Logo Update!
    15.05.07 - Side Panel & Plexi for Pwr/Rst
    23.05.07 - Side Panel With UV
    29.05.07 - Logo at Top panel
    10.06.07 - Top Plexi Finished
    16.06.07 - AC Ryan!
    22.06.07 - Engraving!
    22.06.07 - Gallery!
    01.07.07 - Plexi Modding
    13.07.07 - Plexi Modding Part 2
    18.07.07 - Cable Management etc.!
    29.07.07 - 99% Done !

Link to my Norwegian thread: Click!
    Link to Lian Li's Website about this case: Click!
    Link to Pariah's Guild for a feature of my mod: Click!

Comment and discuss below.

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Aug 2007
  2. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Sketches

Sketches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jun 2007
  3. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Case

Update - 23.04.07

I got the case today, and started to take it apart. Some pics to describe.

[​IMG]
    The Box

[​IMG]
    LCD-Display

[​IMG]
    The Case

[​IMG]
    PCI-Cooler

[​IMG]
    Front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back

[​IMG]
    Inside

[​IMG]
    PCI-Cooler

[​IMG]
    Hdd-Rack

[​IMG]
    Stripped

[​IMG]
    Parts

[​IMG]
    Parts

[​IMG]
    MIST Fan

[​IMG]
    Screws

[​IMG]
    Bay-Covers

[​IMG]
    Cables

[​IMG]
    A tool for the spacers to the mainboard

[​IMG]
    LCD-Display

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Jun 2007
  4. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

kryptonite + superman = bad.... but in thise case it should look pretty sweet. I like the simplicity behind it... and especially the acrylic accents.

5. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

Wicked dude! Will be keeping my eyes on this one ;)

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Cool project. Who's that in the superman picture? I swear he looks just like Bruce Willis.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I always wanted to do a superman theme but shaq and his superman ego where everything has to have the superman logo kinda killed it for me but ya cant wait to see how this goes.

8. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

thats a sweet case great start for a mod.

9. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

How are you planning on making the superman logo on the side? :dremel: With what are you going to cut the case?

I have a similair design on my case (only logo on side) made with clear perspex with a blue light on the inside, it looks super-cool :thumb: , but I struggled my *ss off to cut the case with a normal jigsaw :wallbash: and I damaged the case a bit :duh: :waah: . Luckily for me, its not that visible :p .

I love the green theme here! Good luck dude! Trust me, it really looks excellent! :rock: :rock: :rock:

10. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

2JSC: i know that, but me and my girlfriend wanted something else than a blue theme, and the first we thought of was the green one! Its sort of ironic thou.. :)

mattthegamer463: Cant remember who it is, and im no good at faces :confused:

Deam MF: I guess ill use my dremel, and cut CAREFULLY..
    Can you fix a pic of your case? would be cool to check out.

To the rest of you, thanks for staying with it, always happy to see that someone is following! ;) will maybe release an update tonight, depends on time/tools and stuff..

Last edited: 17 Jun 2007
  11. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Hey - sorry for the very bad quality - took the pics with my cellphone and then resized them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Nice! Cant wait to do it myself.. :) But, with green plexi and light. Next step in the process is to nail a shopping list, im missing some respons on a mail ive sendt for a fwe days ago.

But is it anyone who knows if Blackdog Pcs have a new website, or what have happened with the old one?!

13. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Information

I was gonna post it yesterday, but did not got time to do it..

Update - 26.04.07

To update you, i havent done anything on the case yet, but im planning to take a day off from school tomorrow to get something done :) Now im trying to find some webshops that have Acryl Panel in their sortiment, www.blackdog-pcs.com is down or something, do you know? www.frozencpu.com doesnt have it and www.aplhacool.de either. I found a Czech Republic website, www.patro.cz. For one 3mm and one 5mm sheet it is 793 CZK, which is 228,66 NOK, - shipping. Is it some other webshops in Europe who has Acryl Panel in stock?

What im planning to do tomorrow is to mask some of the case, espesially where in gonna cut in the front. Will check for some coll stuff to do inside etc. Will be an update tomorrow.

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jun 2007
  14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

15. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Thanx for all replies! Good to se that someone is following :)

Thanx Fozzy, but i think i have found in Denmark, www.studiedata.dk/ : ) But ill take a look at it!

New update in a few seconds, just have to translate it ;)

16. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Power/Reset-button plus ideas

Update - 27.04.07

Have cut out a hole to the Reset-button and to Power/Reset behind the front, they are pretty deep those buttons! I have also checked out a little bit how i want it. Pictures:

[​IMG]
    Holes for buttons

[​IMG]
    Masked and drawed up

[​IMG]
    Cut out

[​IMG]
    Cut out and tried out with some buttons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Behind, they are quite deep, espesially the Power-button

[​IMG]
    Masked, with buttons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Reset-button will probably be polished

[​IMG]
    USB/Audio/FW-ports, i think ill drop my idea with plexi and stuff. I dont think it will fit to the rest.

[​IMG]
    Pics of the inside, heres the mount for the hdd-rack. No big plans with this one

[​IMG]
    The hdd-racket, i will cover the front side with 3mm plexi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I tried the rack with my three disks, really like the dampers ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the bay-covers and the LCD. Just had to see how it would look like, and itl ooks pretty cool :D

[​IMG]
    The place where the PSU is going. The reason for this pic is that i thought i could show you what im planning with the cables. Im planning to cut a hole for them right next to the PSU and pull them back and down under the Dvd-rack. Some will be transfered to other places, but its there the main stream will go

Next step is that we must decide what we really want to do with this case, my girlfriend is not quite sure what she want right now, and she dont know if she wants blue og green plexi. More about this in next update.

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

17. exitus

exitus What's a Dremel?

Nice idea so far, great work so far, too. I own a Lian Li myself and I have to say that the HDD-Dampers in that cage are not that good. The damping-effect is well below an expected high. So, if you really want to make the HDDs swing like a "swinger" you have to get something else.

18. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

well, in this case i guess its not that dangerous if theyre not working completely. They just have to be there to hold up the hdd :p So ill say that theyre perfect for this mission! ; )

Next update in a few days, have to get answers on some mail i sendt last week and the week before .. Anyone who knows what happened to www.blackdog-pcs.com ? aint getting any respons on my mails.

19. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Information

Update - 30.04.07

Hi all,

Just want to inform you a bit on the project.
    There will be no engraving on the right side, my girlfriend and I think its to much of the goods, so maybe i'll just engrave a little picture of Superman on the top or something, we'll se :)

Some other things,
    - Maybe no mod on the Power/Reset/LED plus USB/Audio/FW. havent decide yet.
    - On top, maybe the engraving of superman.
    - Back, nothing special.
    - Left side, the logo as a window. Have to print out the logo on a A3 paper before i can start on this one - thanks Dean MF !
    - Right side, nothing.
    - Bottom, maybe a mirror or plexi that covers the whole bottom, will be looking cool with a mirror i think! :)
    - Other things, plexi on the side of the hdd-rack, poloshing of Reset-button and maybe the PCi brackets, replace the old LEDs with some green ones and the cable managment.

Theres the plan for now! Still waiting on some mails and a decition on the color theme - blue or green ! Dont think theres more to say for now, will be back at the end of the week.

Comment and discuss below

Regards,
    Øyvind

[​IMG]

20. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Why dont you look at trying to make a cut out in the top of the case of a Superman tribal sign or someting and then put your blue/green plexi underneath that. That will look great!

Go to google images, then search for superman tribal - there's some really nice ones out there! That will surely test your dremmeling skills :)

Tags: