1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Quiet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 26 Jul 2012.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hardware itself has stagnated a fair bit, because whilst newer, bigger and better stuff comes into the market as regularly as ever, most of it is overkill even for moderate enthusiasts - at least until the next generation of consoles and UHDTVs start to drive game development to new levels of complexity.

It's also harder to find time to play and tinker when the aforementioned Real Life™ gets in the way :(

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Exactly. Back in the day, I tried like crazy to get my dual-processor setup to hit 1GHz per chip (from 800MHz). It had ridiculous heatsinks, and fans that made it sound like the whole PC was about to take flight, but I couldn't get it past 960MHz per chip. My current processor went from 2.5GHz to 3.75GHz without batting an eyelid or needing elaborate cooling. It was so easy it's laughable. It might be a little out of date now, but it wouldn't take much cost to bring it up to a modern spec - maybe £100 at the most for new RAM, motherboard & chip.

It's got to the point where my old hobbies - extreme cooling, watercooling, modding for airflow, overclocking, etc - simply aren't necessary to have a powerful and quiet PC.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I still post quite a bit, and I will also concede to it being a bit less hyperactive than it was a while ago (a "while" might be subjective, though...).
    Hardware is less interesting, mainly because the top-spec stuff matters way less than it used to. I still game occasionally on my old Core 2 Duo E6600, and for the most part, it deals just fine.
    Consoles are also stagnant at the moment (at least until next year). SO people are focussing on accesorising more than anything else. This includes speaker setups, mechanical keyboards - that kind of thing.

Gaming is all about BF3, LoL (guilty of that), and the Steam Sale.
    Heavy hitting games aren't really due right now, so it'll stay a bit like that.

Software will flare up again once Windows 8 ships, no doubt.

On top of all of that, people are busy (especially around this time of year, with it being financial year-end for half the world - at least in Namibia it seems that way).
    Less visits = quieter General section.

I am sure that things will pick up again soon...

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm running a Dual Core E5200 (the 45nm version, which was the generation prior to C2D, IIRC) paired with a 1GB Radeon 6770, and I play games regularly. It copes just fine. I sometimes struggle with high AA/MSAA settings, but that's down to the graphics card more than anything else.

5. Shirty

More importantly, how are you getting on with the Streak?

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Heh, it's a great "little" phone. The ROM I'm using (Longhorn 2.8, IIRC) seems to be a little sluggish and unstable at times, but it's a damn fine device. The higher DPI settings compensate for the (comparatively) low resolution. I'm looking forward to some beta (or even alpha) versions of ICS, but as one of the main developers has a knackered Streak it may be some time off.

The battery life stinks though... It's much better after calibration, but it still sucks - much worse than my Desire... I listened to podcasts on my way in to work this morning (about an hour and a half), have occasionally checked Bookface/Twitter and replied to a few emails, yet it's down to 50%. Equivalent usage patterns with my Desire would have seen a good 60-75% battery left by this time of day. Can't say whether it's a bad battery, an incorrect/inefficient radio ROM or just bad battery life. I'll have a play with some different ROMs to see if it (and the stability) improves.

7. Shirty

Interesting, I'm still running stock FroYo with a custom launcher because it does me fine, battery life is not the best but I usually get 9-12 hours of moderate usage from a charge. Mind you I bought a spare charger for work so the battery rarely drops below 50% anyway.

I agree though, the screen was the biggest surprise for me, it's a peach - and it's fully readable in direct sunlight, which I love :)

8. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Looks like things are picking up a little now. I decided to take a little more interest in actually posting in forums.

I love chatting at the best of times, so this seems like a worthy outlet.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I have returned from Tenby! Time to start running this joint again! :D

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Still posting here often. But that's because you guys are awesome.

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

As are you! <3 :)

Elton likes this.
  12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I wuv you all. :3

13. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

oh please lets not get all lovey dovey about this!! you have just killed the thread, and Unicorn i am disgusted :D you should know better

14. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

YEAH FORUM MEMBER LOVE!

I LUV YOU GUYS MORE THAN BACON CHEESECAKE ON A RAINBOW UNICORN.

Sent from my NOrange San ANDREAS using TapAPAPAPAPAPatalk

15. Shirty

Someone appears to have spilled some excess man love on the forum. Take extra care folks.

Apophis54 likes this.
  16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Well I hate the fu*king lot of you and kid if thats what going to Tenby does to you ffs stop going lol

17. Elton

**** you too. :D

18. Teelzebub

That's better :hehe: Oh and boll*cks to you all :hehe::thumb:

Apophis54 likes this.
  19. Elton

Btw Teelzebub, how's 33x SLI doing for you? Scaling any good?

20. Teelzebub

Yea 30 x better than just three That's why the CPU is OC so not to bottleneck it :thumb: