1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Recommend me a 27" Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by talladega, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Not at all mate. You're one of the more level-headed people on here. I took nothing as an insult or anything else.

Like you, I see multiple monitor technologies but don't just pick the latest one, for the reason you've already mentioned.

I don't tend to move around a lot when sat in front of a PC, so the viewing angle for me is not an issue, hence my preference of TN for gaming.

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Well I think the monitor I have now is a TN. I have never used any other types so I am not sure I would notice it?

I mainly use my computer for internets and movies.

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

To be honest if i didn't use this pc for photo stuff i'd probably get the hanns.G above; it's big and pretty good. If you're just going to be sitting directly in front of it playing games it's great. I'm basing this on the 24'' version which we have around here somewhere, so I'm obviously assuming the two monitors are similar.

I've currently got a fairly decent (dell) 22'' TN-equipped monitor. It's perfectly fine for gaming and movies, and I'd have no hesitation about buying another two for eyefinity/upgrading to a 27'' if I had the cash for more monitors and some more GPU horsepower. It's only my photography that is making me look in the direction of IPS. I'll probably end up getting a 24'' IPS monitor then two far cheaper but still high quality 24'' TN panels.

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

not sure if dell is selling these in the uk yet or not but here is the model number.

U2311H, they are a 23 inch 1080p monitor, with native display port and an IPS panel for $331 CDN. Also these are ultrasharp monitors so they carry dells perfect pixel warranty. I currently have 1 with 2 more on the way.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, they carry 0 BRIGHT prixel warranty. Dead pixels follow the same like any other manufacture.

6. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

yes that is what they call the pixel perfect warranty.

from teh dell site

"Perfection down to the last pixel:
    Dell UltraSharp displays are designed for perfection in every pixel. In the event you discover even one bright, defective pixel during your limited hardware warranty period, we'll exchange your monitor at no cost to you. "

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...tdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9270

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have an iiyama ProLite 26" on my gaming rig at the moment and can't really fault it for a budget large size monitor. If you're aiming for a good size and reasonable price tag and accepting of the limitations of a TN panel knowing that although you want to buy that nice big feck-off Dell U3007 you just can't afford it.

It's not perfect, it's 1920 x 1200 res, it's fast, I haven't noticed any ghosting in anything I play and it's nice to look at.

It lacks adjustment in height and all that, but I just sit it on the Corsair H50 box and it's perfect for me :D

My 2 cents.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-052-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120&subcat=

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Actually I posted on the support forum once because I had a dead pixel and he gave me a reference number for a policy that says both dark and bright pixel defects. That's how I got mine replaced....then replaced 6 more in succession..lol

9. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I had the 3007. It was an amazing monitor. Imagine 6 of the 3008 in eyefinity :) (since the 3007 doesn't have DP.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

"Quality control? What's that?"

Honestly, I'll never understand that about monitor manufacturers. How hard is it to turn the damn things on once and glance at them before shipping? It seems to be pretty much a 50% chance of being defective on arrival, and nobody finds cause for concern in that.

I know they replace it for free, but it's still a joke really. They should just check them before wheeling them out of the door.

11. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I think it's a relative of common sense. another thing that seems to have gone AWOL.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I was at the store yesterday after work and the biggest monitor they had was a 25.5"

It was this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047

I got them to set it to max resolution. WOW it looks incredible! I could be 5 or 6 feet back and see perfectly clear all the text.

So I looked on newegg some more (I use newegg.com not .ca) and these are what im interested in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

What ya think?

13. GoodBytes

Everything looks nice in the store. Until you buy it, you go home, you notice it's glossy, and half the day you can't even use it, and must close all the lights and blinds to see the content of your screen well. And if you are patient person, you'll return it, and swear to you you will never buy glossy ever again. I am just trying to save you the trouble.

14. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

One monitor - Samsung SyncMaster P2770H

15. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i would still recommend anything from the ultrasharp line as the warranty is great.

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

which one of those is glossy???

The 25.5" surely wasnt. I saw it in person........

But I also dont have a problem with lights. I have one light in my room. Directly above my desk. My windows are ALWAYS closed. And if I watch a movie the lights are out. :)

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

18. GoodBytes

Oups, sorry I miss saw the pictures, it was late. My appologies.
    Yes, they are matte. But the frame if glossy. But, you said that you work/play in a low light environment, so I see no problem.

Wow 700$ found on the floor... lucky you sir!
    Well, now you have to decide.. TV or computer monitor. They are not the same thing.
    TV's are not designed for small text, like you have on the computer, and usually the colors are set so that movies looks nice (high contrast, blue shift on colors, and of course 1080p only on a way too big screen. Oh and VERY (too much) bright). Computer monitors are design to provide a very sharp image, with no color shift apply.

If you get a TV, it will look like this:
    [​IMG]

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Well I did some more looking and thinking.

I am not going to spend more than $350 on a monitor <28".

I am thinking a 32" LCD is the way to go.

I can use the LCD mainly for movies/games and then rotate my 19" to profile view and use it for internets.

I'm thinking of either of these two

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039RRCJ8

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039RWAVS

Not sure if the LED and 120Hz is worth the extra $175 though.....

What is your opinion?

20. GoodBytes

No it's not worth the extra... in fact, with 120Hz, or worse 240Hz, your movie will look like those cheap Soap Opera TV shows... because what happens is that the TV adds in between missing frames a guess image.. so everything will feel weird. Imagine if you add a smooth engine to the camera movement, and small motion blur. When people move, it looks very strange, and not enjoyable.

LED backlit is if you want a less quality image. As white LED doesn't exists, they are either light yellow (warm white), or light blue (blu'ish white). CFL will provide you the best color, however, it will heat much more (especially on a screen of this size).

So, this post is now official "Help me pick a TV", and not "Monitor".