1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renewable/green living: what are you doing?

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 20 Dec 2006.

1. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Aye, have you just finished reading State Of Fear by Michael Crichton by chance???

2. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

I'm here to troll? I'm here to check out peoples computer modifications and have intelligent debate. So far I've been called immoral and a troll. If I wanted to troll, I'd have simply spammed the place up with fetus-****ing images and harlequins on barbeques. But I didn't. Because I would like to be a part of the community. I assumed that people who where into technology as much as I am would have a bit more of a liberal and philosophical outlook on topics of conversation and debate beyond the scope and mentality of social networking ass-grabbery networks such as myspace. And so far, I've had one good debate with overdosedelusion. Which is refreshing. To come into a community and have the first example of it be intelligent discussion and wholesome debate around topics that matter.

Perhaps I was mistaken in assuming that a site dedicated to hardware hackers and what we do and love was a place where I might find some stimulating conversation. Yes I could of sat here and said **** all except one post per topic, easing myself into this wonderful clique of people, because, you know, in the ego driven world of forum superiority, noobs don't say anything until they're told they can by those with a higher post count than them. Bollocks. If I wanted to be treated like a bitch I'd hire myself a dominatrix. Or I'd join a teenage social networking site for e-reach-around circle jerks where we can tell each other how awesome we all are and how much of an e-**** xXx_groovy_grrl_4_lyfe_xXx is and how she "didn't go there girlfriend, etcetera.

I'm not debating that there aren't stringent waste management controls on western industry. What I am saying is whats the point in the good Ol' US of A doing their utmost to save the planet (**** yeah!) or any western nation, when China or some developing third world country that can't afford western technologies for waste management decide to open up coal fuelled power stations by the dozen? How do nations plan on stopping undersea volcanoes spewing sulphur into the oceans? How do they plan to prevent carbon monoxide build up from rotting and decaying carbon based organisms?

None. All that enviromental work goes down the shitter, because not one goddamn nation cares about the enviroment when it causes problems with economic stability or growth. Energy saving measures will never be rolled out across western industry until they become "economically viable" to a companies wallet. And while fossil fuels remain so cheap, and since there are no giant corks for undersea sulphur stacks and no way to stop decaying matter creating carbon dioxide on a global scale.... everything people do is worth squat.

People might not agree with anything I ever say on here. Some people might agree with parts and not with others. That's the wonderful thing about being a human being. The ability to think for yourself. I'm not going out of my way to offend people. I'm simply stating my opinion as best I know how and backing it up to the best of my ability and if that offends anyone, perhaps they should ask themselves exactly what it is that offends them about it so much.

3. aye

aye What's a Dremel?

Never heard of him or it. But I will google it now.

4. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Recycle all glass and paper, use energy saving stuff, lights only as needed etc.. Walking/Biking and public transport only.

My pc folds 24/7 for the World Community Grid project though, which admittedly isn't great for the energy usage, but unlike some of you leechers atleast I am giving something back. Also did any of you stop to consider how much energy and damage to the environment is done just by buying electronics? For the power consumption I am more than happy to be giving something very productive back.

5. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

One of just a few things i can agree with you one. Opinions are your opinions and be entitled to them you shall, but there will be debate and argument as everyone can differ around a single key point making us all, completely individual in out outlook on life and social matters. Everyone believes they are right in their own mind and nothing will ever change this. But hey, makes for interesting and often heated debates!

Oh, and i think your bound to be called a troll if you don't pussyfoot your way in like most people. A few posts here few posts there on nothing special at all, until you become recognised, but headfirst shows character ^^

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Trolls don't usually go on at length with excellent arguements, so I'm going to say no. I may not agree with Aye, but he is is discussing the topic at hand in a reasonable and inteelligent manner.

As for your main point, Aye, maybe in an individual level it is pointless, but change has to start somewhere. If people start by incorporating green thinking into their daily lives then they are more likley to be willing to support the big iniatives down the road that will have significant impacts.

And even if not, even if it is all an exercise in mental masturbation, is doing what you believe to be right, even if it has no real-world impact, not a good thing?

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Sorry, but why would you think that?

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

In a nutshell, what Aye is saying is that in the grand scheme of things we don't make a lot of difference.

I will restate my point - no matter how little difference we make, we should try and minimize the (admittedly probably already small) impact we have on the environment. You can't deny that the earth's atmosphere is not meant to have particulates, oxides of nitrogen, co2, and all the other stuff we pump into it, pumped into it.

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Don't call people idiots for whatever they believe, whether it falls in line with your thoughts or not.

Some people don't give a damn but dont do irreprible harm to it, should they be shot ? I don't go out of my way to make the world a better place environmentally, but I also care about what does happen to it and would like to see an easier means of recycling implemented world wide.

In the end the biggest things that can change the greenhouse effect and whatever damage we have on the atmosphere are out of most of our hands - renewable energy farms, less coal/oil plants, higher petrol prices etc - none of which can be changed by a single ordinary person. The amount of plants IS dictated by what we the public use, thats true, however it isnt up to us t build the power plants and whatnot - in the end, us being power efficient is just the added bonus on the end of a long line of much better things.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm going to do my bit by buying a new car with a 6 litre v8.

11. Sputnik

Sputnik What's a Dremel?

I'm currently working on a system to power my shed (lights, drill press and soldering iron) that works fully off solar energy. It's a pity work takes up so much of my time. I later plan to expand this project and run my entire house off-grid (once I have moved out and have a place of my own).

I also intend to build some sort of electric transport device. My latest idea is to put an electric motor into my old motorbike frame.

I also want to make my own bio-diesel, since it isn't readily available around here.

I'm not an avid supporter of nuclear power. The thought of radioactive waste being buried undergroud is somewhat disturbing to me.

Sputnik :lol:

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

CF bulbs and recycling. Not much else comes to mind.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheapskate has been banned for 24 hours for flaming, aye is entitled to his opinion no matter how much you disagree with him. And educated discussion is good and healthy, calling people idiots are not and will get you chucked out.

14. Jerby

Jerby What's a Dremel?

I think people are missing the point: we are not engaged in trying to combat global warming for its own sake, but for ours. Not only will preserving the polar icecaps arrest a beautiful sight from disappearing for good, but it will also stop a lot of low-lying land around the globe from being flooded.

Increased sea levels will mean disaster for many third-world countries; they, if anyone, certainly don't have the money to hold back nature. In any case, it is rather myopic to look at these remote examples as projections show that much of southern England could be covered! How can cutting carcinogenic emissions be a bad thing?

Aye, you deploy the tu quoque argument: China and India are despoiling the earth, therefore we shouldn't bother is rather a big cop out. Apparently one in three motorists in this country don't have insurance, why should we all bother? These countries are in an extremely difficult position: their citizens are itching to achieve western living standards, hence reaping the benefits of rapid industrialisation. I remember an Indian politician was on the Today programme recently, and his message was basically that any advocate of environmental protection (and consequently the curtailment of emissions) commits political suicide there at the moment. This is a longterm problem, and we can only lead the way now.

Finally, I think you presented a false dichotomy in one of your earlier posts. We do not simply face a choice between distancing ourselves from technology on one hand, and embracing the planet on the other; that's just reductio ad absurdum. Intelligent engineering can offset our impact and minimize its consequences, overtime reducing the problem.

15. K

K 528491

I don't eat meat, don't drive and recycle and all that fun stuff. Good times...

16. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

This is especially a problem for me, we live right next to the sea on what is practicalkly considered marsh land. It's been roughly predicted that if global warming continues as it is, we will be below sea level in about 50 years, which is more than worrtying =/

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Last time I checked dude, cows are renewable :p

18. K

K 528491

As funny as that is, it's not so funny that cattle in particular produces more greenhouse gases than cars, planes and other transport combined. Anyone who's interested should check out the recently published report by the UN's Food and Agricultural Organisation entitled 'Livestock's Long Shadow': http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/A0701E00.htm

19. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

As long as it runs leaded :thumb:

I turn off my lights in my room of an evening, turn off my computer at night, recycle, and have low energy bulbs in some rooms. I don't think it'll ever make up for whatever amount of damage is caused/energy taken up by my family's house, and the cars we have.

20. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

so surely killing and eating as many as possible is the best thing to do :idea: