1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renewable/green living: what are you doing?

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 20 Dec 2006.

1. koola

koola Minimodder

Can't say I do anything green except run my car on unleaded...

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Which directly supports my theory that CO2 and some other greenhouse gases (methane, NOS(not much of that though)) don't really affect the environment in any way. Cows have been farmed for centuries, we can't put an energy efficiency rating on nature.
    I'm going to have to agree with Aye on this one.

EDIT: I live a life of science, whatever I do next you can betcha it'll be science, It's pointless trying to teach people not to throw tonnes of gases into the air (which may not actually do anything). Nuclear is really the only current option, non of this 'I only use energy saving lightbulbs' is going to actually make a difference.

In the end, it's us that suffer and I'm perfectly fine with that - Humanity deserves to be destroyed. After all, the Earth is a spinning collection of rock, water and gas hurling through the solar system, it won't care.

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Not where I work, its mostly because of a grudge against the local power company but they built two methane/natarual gas fired turbines on site so they could make all the power they need. They pipe the landfill gas that would otherwise go into the atmosphere to the turbines and make their own power, I talked to the guy in charge of the project and he said we never expect to get any money back from this but at least the power bill will be nothing.

So they prevent methane from being released, use that methane to power turbines that take the load off of coal fired power plants, and never expect a return on their investment. It may just be for PR, or the grudge they have, but I sense a slight bit of corprate responsibility. Or they just feel bad for being a chemical plant.

:D
    And tasty.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You're missing a key point though, the human population has grown crazy high in the last 100 years.

That's the real solution to all environmental problems. Fewer people. Were the world population around the 2 billion mark we'd be without a fair number of the problems we have.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Half of all the humans that have ever lived...

Are alive right now.

Think about that :worried:

And I agree, we have too many people. Fortunatly, this seems to be slowly changing, at least in the industrialized countries where each one of those people has a larger impace. It seems likley that as China and India industrialize and begin to achieve similar standards of living their population growtjh will also begin to fall off.

6. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

that is a worrying thought =S

unfortunately with a lot of middle eastern countries, we see a lot of families multiple spouses and thus more children, and I don't think they will change their attitudes to women either just because of on overly populated planet. And I feel our increase in medical breakthroughs/adherence to health warnings are also to blame for our much lengthier lifespans. Perhaps we should have just nature to run its course ratyher than interfering the way we have done.

And yes, before you ask, I have been listening to weird and wonderful words of Karl Pilkington ;)

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think you're buying into hype and stereotyping. Shaira (Islamic law) does allow a man to take more than one wife (up to 4 I think), but it also cautions against taking more than you can fairly and equitably support. It is my understanding that the practice of polygamy in Islamic countries happens, but is fairly rare.

If you look at areas expieriencing rapid population growth, they are not predominanty Islamic. Rather your rapid population growth is in China (secular / Bhuddist), India (Hindu), and Africa (all over the map). Rapid population growth is linked less to religion and more to improving public health in areas of widespread poverty.

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

The processing and packing of meat uses a fair bit of energy though I'd guess. Not to mention all the mutilated cow parts that seep into the ground.

9. overdosedelusion

I think my dog gets those bits =\ *shudder*

10. K

K 528491

Don't worry, you'll get enough of those bits yourself in Haribo.

11. overdosedelusion

hehe i don't eat sweets lol not spicy enough for my tastebuds =D probably get it in my saussage though, that wouldn't surprise me..

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Answer to everything: Cannibalism

13. K

K 528491

Quite funny that I've just recently discovered Halal/Kosher/veggie Haribo, lol. The bear on the gummy bear packet has an earring... Errr?

In a lot of cheap sausages you get some really gross bits (and copious amounts of rusk) but even in some premium sausages it's a-ok to chuck in meat from the face and snout etc. YUM!

14. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

only per 1,000 people, China's birth rate is lower than the USA's... India's however, is almost double

15. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i'm failing to see how something that contains gelatin can be kosher? thought part of being kosher was that only certains parts of the cow could be used?

16. K

K 528491

It doesn't? How else would it be Halal, Kosher or vegetarian? Errr...