1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Revolution controller is bonkers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 Sep 2005.

1. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Umm, Sony and Microsoft hardware experts? Hardly....

If they were, DRE on the PS2 would have never occured and the XBox's cord should have never caught on fire. Every Nintendo system I have owned has never given me problems. Hell my NES still runs like a champ, same for my Virtual Boy and my collection of Gameboys :)

I for one am excited about this. The controller looks like a refreshing addition to a rather stale peripheralm(the 360's controller is like what Sony did with the PS2, they just changed the color and added a few things).

Looking forward to the Revolution and it's new fangled controller set up.

GO NINTENDO!! :clap:

2. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

It looks... well.... funky. However, having had a SNES and N64 as a kid, I have to say I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Especially the motion sensing is a good thing, but I think it would have been a better idea to have a gamecube type controller with that built in. Who hasn't twisted their controller all the way to the right/left when they didn't quite make that tight turn? :hehe:

3. Rain

Rain What's a Dremel?

Well lets face it Nintendo has always led the way in game controllers, they were at the forefront with the analogue controller and Sony et al have tried to copy this for years.

I think in a years time people will think its the best thing, and how your hands are not handcuffed together to the controller will make your movement more natural.

The use of a single TV style remote leads me to think with a hard drive recorder would they offer a Sky + type recorder for TV :confused:

The only thing i do worry about is there seems to be an infra red bar at the front of the remote ! why not use wireless :confused:

4. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I think the infared is used to sense how far away the TV is, and detect where it's pointed at on the screen. Think light-gun on steroids

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

we don't know that it isn't wireless, the IR transmitter on the front could be for something else (controlling the t.v. maybe).

I can't wait to give it a try anyway... and Nintendo weren't the first to have an analogue controller for their console. I've got a console from the 70's with analogue controllers (an Acetronic, I believe).

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  6. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The button on top of the controller is for turning the Revolution on and off so that's probably the infrared. Plus there has to be some type of special sensor in there too. The light gun type thing will work on any display from CRTs to projected images.
    The more and more I think of the possibilities, the more I fall in love with that controller after the intial "WTF?!" shock.

7. shadow46x2

shadow46x2 What's a Dremel?

yeah, nintendo has always been on the forefront of gaming technology...

let us not forget the virtual boy, and the power glove...*yawn*

--j

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Sweet...turning the system on and off via the remote control. Something I wish they'd thought of YEARS ago.

9. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

And the SNES, and the joystick controller...

10. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

I was torn on this until I saw how it's supposed to work in action, and it's a stroke of genius. Picture a fighting game where you actually control your weapon by swinging the controller around in real-life. How about a sports game where, instead of mashing the right button combination to shoot to the top-left corner, you just flick your wrist in that direction?

In my mind, I see a room full of people playing Mario Party Revolution, no wires, and flailing wildly trying to control their characters. For a game like this, the controller would almost definitely enhance the play.

11. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Trippy. Can't wait to try it out... not that I'll buy a Revolution. Or any other console. :)

12. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I think Nintendo has really shot themselves in the foot as far as the Americna market is concerned. If Japanese like games like DDR, then Japan and the Nintendo Revolution will go togother as good as fat kids and candybards, in-seperable.

I will just continue to wait till the day the PS3 is affordable. =)

L J

13. Darv

Darv Bling!!

You do realise there will be a shell to put the controller in, turning it into a bog standard controller for ports of games form other consoles etc. You can also use Gamecube controllers too.

14. Colonel Sanders

No I did not realize that, but I do somewhat doubt that will make a lot of difference. I doubt developers will try to make game to use a remote control. With that thing, you can get to two buttons and a d-pad esaily, thats it.

I think Nintendo has failed in the past and are just so determined to do something new in might be their end. The Nintendo 64's 3 handeled controller? Almost no games use the d-pad or L-button. It was simply a poor design with a thumb stick. . . Virtual Boy and the Powerglove? More failures. Nintendo is not some kind of god that can not fail.

L J

15. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Dude, the powerglove rocked! I miss mine so much....when it finally broke, we found out that it worked great as a punching glove. :D

Seriously though, I think that this controller is moving the console industry in the right direction. As it is right now, it's just a stagnent pond of the same rehashed ****. Hopefully this new controller will stir it up and give it abit of freshness. I guarentee you that if the Revolution becomes popular, MicroSoft and Sony both will have new controllers out that will have the same functionality. And besides, one of the big things about this controller is to help bring NEW gamers in. I know a ton of people who don't play consoles games just because there is too many buttons to learn.

Also, I LOVED the N64 conroller. IMHO, it's the best controller for FPS (Move with C buttons and aim with the analouge) console games. I'd switch over to the left side of the controller when playing fighter games and use the stick for eveything else. I absolutely abhor using the PS2 Dualshock controller. It's just unconfortable having to reach down and over to use the freaking analouge stick!

16. Darv

Darv Bling!!

17. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Wasn't the Atari 2600 stick an analouge? It's been so many years since I"ve played it, but I could have sworn I could control how fast my car went in Pole Position by pushing further on the stick.

18. Colonel Sanders

I could be wrong but I believe the Atari stick was a digital. I always remember on some ancient console with a stick that the stick did not move very far at all and it was amazingly sensitive, to the point where it was basically digital.

Now back to the revolution controller- Nintendo is not prefect. The N64 and GC were both practically failed consoles. . . Sure the N64 had power, but they left it midi audio and a late release the PS1 then dramatically outsold the N64. The GC- it did not have DVD playback, it was not the most powerful, the controllers were the least advanced and rather uncomfortable, all good games (GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Halo. . .) were released on the X-Box or PS2, primairly because the GC was late to enter the market.

If Nintendo wants to compete with the US market, they need to make a similar controller and allow mature rated games on their console, DVD playback wouldn't hurt either.

Anyone remember Duck Hunt or the Super Scope? Here Nintendo is copying the idea, and improving it a lot, but those games did not revolutionize the gameing industry then, and are not likely to do so now.

I'm sorry if my opinion has upset any Nintendo fans, but I don't believe this new controller is going to revolutionize gameing.

L J

19. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

well i'm for one am looking forward to the Revolution and the single stick controller. The PS3 is an afterthought in my mind.. especially since you can build a pretty decent computer to play most of the games that come out on the PS3 for around the same price... the number of games that get ported over to the PS from PC and vice versa is growing and since I have a decent enough PC, I won't buy a PS3 until at least the 3rd or 4th year in.

The Revolution on the other hand... that's just pure Nintendo Quirky Genius!

Not saying it's be a 100% hit, but they have got me to sit up and take notice.

Nintendo basically invented the two-handed control pad, now if they want to try something different, all the best to them... it's just that gamers are too familiar with the usual D-Pad arrangement that when they see it they go 'WTF!'

20. Darv

Darv Bling!!

How can you say that the N64 and Gamecube are failures. The N64 was a very impressive console and brought about 3D gaming. Sure more PS1's were sold but it didn't do badly.

As for the Gamecube, it's been a good success in my mind. Worldwide it's only sold about 1 million less than the Xbox, however it's made the most profit per console sales. DVD playback might have been nice, but it would have increased cost and size, and a standalone DVD player would still have been better. The controller is no less advanced than the others, infact the Wavebird was the first viable wireless controller. The PS2 controller on the other hand is exactly the same as a PS1 controller and is far too small and I find it very uncomfortable.

The Gamecube is also very powerful. It's not as powerful as an Xbox but is far better than a PS2. If it had a larger disk file size and a bit more memory it would be more powerful than an Xbox.

All good games (as you put it), well for one thing MGS is on the Gamecube and I don't rate Halo or GTA very highly. It's had plenty of amazing games: Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Monkey Ball, Rogue Squadron, Pikmin, Paper Mario, Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros, just to name a few.

The Revolution will have a DVD player as an optional extra for those that want it. The Gamecube had "mature games" and so will the Revolution.

Tags: Add Tags