1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Ravenfeeder

Ravenfeeder What's a Dremel?

After a failed m/b and a bad summer I've decided to return to overclocking my r5 1600. I got my Vengeance B3200C16 RAM to 2933 and 14-14-14-15-35 and it was perfectly stable. I took the 1600 to 3.8 at 1.35v and it was perfectly stable. Getting cocky, today I upped that to 4.0 at the same voltage, expecting some instability that I'd have to fiddle with. What I got was no message to the screen. At all, not even to play with the UEFI settings. I've had to reset the CMOS, losing all my settings and I'm a bit bummed out. Not sure why I couldn't get anything at all at the moment. Is my power supply flaky? Shouldn't be, it was new this year - a EVGA NEX650G. It's not the graphics card - an MSI GTX 970 - as I checked with another card and had the same result, plus it worked perfectly before the cpu change and after the CMOS reset. Have I jsut lost the silicon lottery and the processor will not do anything at all at that speed?

Can anyone give me any ideas?

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Ryzen chips often require substantial boosts in voltage to be able to do the next step. Mine needs 0.125v to go from 3.7 to 3.8 GHz. Needless to say... it runs at 3.7 and silently.

In order for you to recover a failed boot, all you need to do is let it cycle a few times or shut it down by flicking the power as soon as you turn it on.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

An above average R5 1600 requires 1.425V LLC 3 to be bombproof and stress test stable (hands on experience having recently binned three separate batches of 1600's for a client).

Secondly, the best overclocking results are produced when using Samsung B Die memory kits - 3000MHz or 3200MHz CL14 (out of the box) being the real sweet spot.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  4. Ravenfeeder

Ravenfeeder What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I cycled it more than a few times and it didn't come back, so it was something more than that. Unfortunately I think my RAM is Hynix not the Samsung B-die. The make is not guaranteed to be Samsung. If I'd known about the B-die before I bought it.... but wishes are for fishes, so I'm trying to work with what I've got. Forgot to say the new m/b is a Asrock x370 Taichi. When I've got my confidence back I'll start redoing my settings.

5. TheMadDutchDude

It really should cycle and be back to normal after a few cycles. That board is very good at those kinds of things.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

AMD Second-generation Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" Confirmed to Support AM4

Quote - "AMD, in an interview with Overclockers UK (OCUK), confirmed that its second-generation Ryzen desktop processors will support the existing AM4 socket, so current Ryzen platform users can seamlessly upgrade to the new processors, with a BIOS update. Most current AM4 socket motherboards will require BIOS updates to support Ryzen "Raven Ridge" desktop APUs, and Ryzen "Pinnacle Ridge" CPUs, as the two require an update to the latest AGESA 1.0.0.7 version. In the interview, AMD representative James Prior confirmed that the company plans to keep AM4 its mainstream-desktop processor socket all the way up to 2020, which means at least another two to three generations of processors for it.

The next generation is "Pinnacle Ridge," which is rumored to be an optical-shrink of the "Summit Ridge" silicon to the 12 nm process, enabling higher clock speeds. The decision to keep AM4 doesn't mean the company's 300-series chipset will be made to stretch over 3 years. The company could release newer chipsets, particularly to address 300-series chipset's main shortcoming, just 6-8 older PCI-Express gen 2.0 general purpose lanes (while Intel chipsets put out up to 24 gen 3.0 lanes)."

7. TheMadDutchDude

I'm so excited for the refresh. I can't wait. :D

alfizzle likes this.
  8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So, I have a bundle of Ryzen stuff, but I just can't find 16GB of fast DDR4 at a reasonable price that is guaranteed to work at full speed.

Wonder how many people this is holding back.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

*raises hand*

I'm blaming the memory cartel of Samsung, SK Hynix & Micron (95% market share) for turning large chunks of their production to phone memory.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I can't believe it's now like, £100 for 8gb. That's actually scary.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet, £100 per 8gb, the way the pound is going even if it gets cheaper at source the price will remain the same, thanks Brexiteers.

12. Vault-Tec

From what I read yesterday it has bugger all to do with Brexit, more greedy scaremongers capitalising on our situation. Literally the second we hit Brexit within hours everything had shot up in price before we even knew anything about it.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's all Apple's fault...

...even if it's not I'm blaming Apple.

14. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I would imagine a great many.

Fortunately I bit the bullet pre price hike, my memory kit is now worth over a ton more than I originally paid for it (16Gb G Skill CL14 Samsung B Die).

I totally agree, the situation with Apple increasing the base storage capacity of their phones and tablets has had a great deal to do with the pricing/shortage in the here and now - the kicker being prices and availability of DDR4 isn't set to change any until Q3 of 2018 at the earliest.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As I said, it's not Brexit, it's smartphones.

Best we can do for now is to bookmark all the PC bits bargain sites we can think of and check them regularly. :sigh:

16. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Isn't it clearly both Brexit and phones?

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While brexit clearly had an impact on exchange rates (which is important as all pc component prices are dependent on the USD) the pound is currently "only" 8% below its pre referendum price, so no more than 8% a price hike can be blamed on it.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

But that was because it was already tanking in anticipation.

19. Vault-Tec

FFS we haven't even "Brexited" yet. All a big con if you ask me.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not a con, just an unfortunate reality that it takes years to get a factory suitable for high end IC manufacturing up and running, meaning there is very little flexibility on the supply side.