1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Show Off Your HTPC and/or Server

Discussion in 'General' started by null_x86, 6 Mar 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I like your server nry :thumb:

2. nry

nry Minimodder

Needs alot of monies spending on it still though!

Not anywhere near finished yet :(

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't mean to offend anyone (I really don't) but I think I fail to find what these servers can be used for for an individual like you and I

FTP server ? What for ?
    web server ? same
    file server ? fair enough

I mean you're not going to set an LDAP/DNS/DHCP for your home and the online services it can do (ftp,http) are limited by the bandwidth so what's the point ?

I have a spare computer here that I could use and still don't think it's worth making a server off it

enlighten me, or bit techers

4. nry

nry Minimodder

Well I store ALOT of media on mine.
    Bluray rips, music etc

I could combine this with the HTPC but then the noise issue is introduced into the TV area.

Also as my server, provides bluray streaming to 3 computers, I found that while watching a film on a computer doing this it would cause the video to drop frames. So there came the separate server

I also need to run a local (LAN access only) web server for work. So the file server does this.

It also provides some automation features into my home cinema.

So it has alot of uses for me. Also makes one central place to put my backups :)

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Server/NAS

Shuttle SN41G2
    Athlon 2500+ Barton
    1Gb Corsair PC-4000
    PCI SATA expansion

80GB IDE OS driver (Ubuntu 9.10)
    1Tb Seagate
    250Gb Hitachi

160GB external for really sensitive data that I need safe, which is also Bkup on discs.

I wanted a NAS to store all my media and back my work up on to.

reason, well i needed a backup area for my work which i could access from anywhere without pissing around with cables, and when the girlfriend wishes to grab a film or tv show to watch she can without effect the speed of my machine.

If i was on my own then i would see no use for a NAS. Its that simple!

I also do rendering, as my NAS which is just a little shuttle with a socket A athlon acts as manager to the 3 other machines which create the farm.

6. Unicorn

In my rack in the server room at my other house, I'll be installing a file and web server sometime in the next few months. The building currently shares the internet connection via CAT5 with the house, but I intend on installing a seperate connection so it will be useful as a web server, game server and of course a high capacity file server.

The small Dell server that I am building for my home network at this house is going to be used as fast access, high capacity storage (Cheap alternative to a NAS box) and a media server, i.e. linked to the TV in the lounge and living room, my PC, the TV in the bedroom and the workshop and all the laptops in the house. Last best estimate I had over 3TB of media files from Films to TV series to music and photos, and I'm tired of it being on several external hard drives. Putting it all on a single server means it's all in one place, accessible from anywhere and easily backed up.

7. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Its good, except if its on 24/7 then that pc is just gona suck power, why not try and hunt down a lower power celeron or something? just a thought:)

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

its not much but its holding for now whilst i demolish and renovate all of downstairs.

9. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

FTP-Server:

[​IMG]

Dual PIII @ 1.3GHz each (ish)
    1gig of ram
    A pair of medieval SCSI drives in raid0 for the system and three 1TB samsung F1 drives for storage.

Not that great, but I found it on the scrapheap, so I'm pretty happy with it so far :) (Not the samsung drives, obviously). Running Debian and glftpd.

Offtopic: Gunsmith, you've apparently got good taste when it comes to tv-shows and LCD-TVs (Got one just like it) :)

Edit: nry, you need to tell me where to get those drive cages...

Last edited: 27 Dec 2009
  10. Unicorn

Really? I wouldn't have thought the P4 would be much more power hungry than a Celery. I just so happen to have a couple of them lying downstairs :) might take that into consideration and change it out. Does anyone have suggestions for a PCI raid card? Pref 4-8 ports...

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thanks, in a toss up between anything Star Trek and todays mindless corperate drivvel, Star Trek wins :)

however I am taking a break from my non-stop ST marathon (tng,ds9,voy) and happily enjoying some You're Under Arrest :)

back on topic...

12. Unicorn

Upon having a rumage through the workshop (deep dark corners of it, full of beige boxes with green and purple motherboards in them :duh:) I've found what I think might be a more energy efficient alternative to my Dell Dimension;

Asrock S775 board (purple PCB, no idea what model it's so dusty) - Purple is good, right? Purple is a fruit >.>

Annnnd more importantly, A 2.8Ghz Celeron.

So what's your opinion? Would the Celeron be noticeably more power efficient? Would it be as easy to keep cool, because I want this thing to stay QUIET.

13. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Yeah i beleive they do run cooler, my friend had a P4 and i've had one and they get so dam hot, its stupid. So i reckon you'd be better with the celeron. Then again i might be talking ****, i'd try and look up some power figures to comfirm what i've said to you is true! lol

Last edited: 28 Dec 2009
  14. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Just for you Uni! :D

In my recently built dedicated computer room/study or whatever you want to call it I have my main i7 PC in the Antec 1200, my uber fast 4ghz with HT watercooled i7 folding rig in the Antec 902, and my home server in the Antec 300 case (yes I like Antec cases lol) Oh and on the end is an Avaya 900w UPS which runs just my server.

Spec of my home server is:

• Asus P5K Premium Mobo
    • Intel C2D E8400 CPU left at stock 3.0ghz although I had it 3.6 for a while seemed pointless!
    • 4GB (soon to be 8) of OCZ DDR2 800mhz Platinum memory
    • Enermax 480w PSU (ive had this for 5 years running loads of different rigs and its still solid!)
    • Some crappy ATI X550 Graphics card just so I get a picture lol
    • Adaptec 1430SA Sata II Raid controller running raid 1 (mirror)
    • Adaptec 39320A Ultra III SCSI host controller (for external LTO III backup drive)
    • 2 x 500GB Western Digital 'raid edition' hard drives for OS & VM's
    • 2 x 1.5TB Samsung hard drives for storage
    • 2 x 1.0TB Seagate hard drives for storage (currently one has been sent back to Seagate for RMA)

The server runs Windows 2003 small business server R2 along with 3 x VM's, 1 is for downloading, 2nd is for my dedicated Counter Strike source server (need to get back into that!) and the 3rd is for software & OS testing using the VMware snapshot tool!

If you want any more info about anything let me know :D heres some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

[​IMG]

I took delivery of new speakers today which are the first items in a serious bout of upgrade-itis...

Monitor Audio RS6 fronts and RS CLR , with RS1 rears out of the picture.

The centre cunningly is a few mm too high for my av rack so that is going to have to make the upgrade list along with hdtv, new receiver and upgrading a few bits in my htpc itself

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Err... an Xbox 360, several Blu-Rays and a SD TV? What's going wrong!?! :p

17. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

the HD projector has you fooled :D:thumb:

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

As soon as I get back to uni and set it up again I'll post pics. At the moment it's an AM2 Semptron system with 1GB DDR and 300GB HDD with no plans to upgrade ATM.
    When it was running it was mostly a proxy server and a gaming server, plans to update that to running bittorrent too.

My personal computer is used as the Xbox 360 media server because it's running windows 7 and integrates beautifully with the Xbox and it transcodes (the most important part).

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

[​IMG]
    SPECS:
    E5200
    Corsair H50
    Gbyte P43
    ATi 4550
    1 x 80Gb WD (system)
    2 x 1Tb samsung 'green' (storage)
    Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S2 HD
    Bequiet 350W PSU
    Antec Fusion Max

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My HTPC out for a dust off. Via C7 on engineering sample board with 1 250Gb HDD and one optical. The case is cool but the insides are due for a refresh. Technology changes too fast.

[​IMG]