1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Had a quick dive back into some World of Tanks yesterday, it's amazing how much you forget about a game with a 6+ month break. Spent a good portion of a few matches trying to remember where to hit my targets and relearning where the cover is on maps.

Still playing MGS 5 a fair bit, doing a second run through now with a different approach.
    Thinking of doing a full Demon Snake run next.

2. rma

rma Minimodder

Picked up a couple of games on Friday which kept me busy all weekend:

Counter Spell
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/351230/
    If you can see past the Minecrafty graphics, it's a very enjoyable little RPG game with great co-op options.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/
    This is an amazingly fun game. Played it with friends over TeamSpeak and had a ball!
    The description doesn't do it justice - watch some youtube movies of people playing it, eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhHkvHcUfo

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I started getting through some of my PS3 games. My backlog for my games is massive.

Tales of Xillia
    One of the Tales series of games. The story is a little lacking but it is a very pretty JRPG with a great Battle system. I like that the latest of these games allows you to switch characters in battle, for on Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube limited you to one character only and the rest were crap AI. Good looking, nice characters, good side quests and little secrets to find.

DMC: Devil May Cry

I understand the hate. It is a watered down spinoff if i'm honest. It's less psychological and philosophical. There's no longer a 'horror' aspect and there are no good philosophical meanings to things in the game. No characters have substance and it's a shallow Action-RPG. Devil may cry was always an Action RPG but it was much better than this in the last 4 games, even the DMC 2 was better and that was one of the bad ones. The fighting however, is fun. There is very little variety to be had however. You'll run into the same monsters over and over, and there are no monster specific areas, they just seem to plonk the same old monsters anywhere. Bosses are easy and their moves are systematic, you can figure out their patterns in about 30 seconds. Avoid if you haven't played it, it's pretty crap.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I must be the only person ever to have really enjoyed DMC2. I thought it was great fun. Agree (mostly) about DmC however... it's the worst of the games, but only by a little when compared to DMC4.

DMC3>DMC1>DMC2>>>>>DMC4>DmC.

Yeah, I couldn't stand DMC4. Nero really, really annoyed me. A lot. I went back to the old DMC games via the PS3 'HD' release... I've become really bad at them... :blush: :wallbash:

I've been too busy to really play anything serious in recent months... AdVenture Capitalist/Clicker Heroes is about my limit, because I can leave them running in the background and check 'em every so often. Did (finally) manage to complete GTAV a couple of weeks ago, just blasted through the story, didn't really do much (if any) of the extra side missions. I was also gifted Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, so gave it a try, but like all of the Borderlands games... I just can't get into it. I want to like it, but it's just too mindless and repetitive.

Although I fully expect the weekend to disappear out from underneath me, if Amazon is right and Disgaea 5 arrives on Friday... :naughty: :sigh:

5. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Hearthstone.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Playing through the uncharted series again, got the nathan drake collection for ps4, higher res, better textures & 60 fps, just as enjoyable as the first time round on ps3.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Neverwinter Nights 2 and Monster Hunter 4 U.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Skyrim (modded)

Amazing Follower Tweaks,
    Sounds of Skyrim
    Tame the beast of Skyrim
    A quality world map
    Ella - Follower (which is absolutely fantastic)
    Pure Waters

I've basically turned it into my perfect game <3

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Finally: Halo 4
    What a beautiful game that is...

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Company of Heroes 2 - thought I would be playing the British alot post new faction DLC but I have actually been finding my feet with the Americans - a real departure from my usual preference of thew Wehrmacht.

Either way, having 5 factions of worth of variety and 10's of dozens of random commander choices the AI picks is nice. I have said it many times and will keep re-iterating, COH2 has some really excellent character to the units, from the screams of fear in heavy combat, the the funny conversations randomly overheard in the lulls between righting to the almost revenge driven responses when your turning the tide - IT IS AWESOME!
    Another note on the audio, the ambient and distance based sound had improved dramatically since launch but also fairly recently too. You can very clear hear distinct audio tracks for different weapons and at different pitches depending on your distance to the source of the noise. It might seem like a small thing but it makes a massive difference to the immersion, that feeling as you approach a battle and the increase in combat sound.

Given what a mess CO2 was on release and acknowledging how long it has taken for Relic to get it sorted - it's now the game it should have been.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Metro 2033 Redux. At 4 quid for this and Last Light I thought why not? It certainly looks much better.

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Fallout 3
    Been attempting to replay through this in preparation for Fallout 4, though Windows 10 has been making it rather difficult with it not wanting to do more than 30 minutes without crashing... I may need to spend some time tweaking everything to get them to play nice.

Picked up the GOTY edition from the Steam weekend sale as I only had the base game on disc.
    This'll hopefully keep me going until I get the next instalment of the game around Christmas time.

Rebel Galaxy
    I stumbled on this little gem of a game when I noticed a friend playing it last week.
    It's a space game on a 2D platform (you can go forward, backwards, left and right) but despite this the navigation is complex enough for the combat mechanics to be enjoyable and warping between areas on sub-light systems is very smooth and nice to control.
    I've only flown two of the spaceships so far but the range of customisation on them is quite good and slipping in and out of combat feels nice and fluid.

If you're a fan of Firefly/Serenity then you'll absolutely love the fact that you have old western themed music playing in the background (it's actually an excellent soundtrack and one I could boot the game up just to listen to).
    Well worth the £14.99 price tag, plus with the procedurally generated space and the ability to freely choose what role you want (pirate, trader, miner, bounty hunter, smuggler, etc) it should have some fairly decent re-playability.

13. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

Rocket League - "Just one more game!" then still there an hour later.

Started Shadow of Mordor. But in between Rocket League sessions I keep forgetting the controls

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Absolutely nothing.

The last game I got into and played was Dying Light. Great game but I prefer the slightly slower pace of Dead Island (yes I was a fan :) )

Sadly nothing of late has really captured my imagination. I'm a Fallout fan, so I don't really get dragged in by other RPGs and for the past couple of years gaming has been very stale. It's all well and good if you fancy playing the same old thing but games are just boring me to tears lately.

I tried Witcher 3 but I hate anything medieval so I didn't get on too well in that. I did laugh at how his bird looks like a Realdoll (TM) though. That was very funny. I guess I put about six hours into it before feeling I just wanted to fall asleep. Much of the same, riding around on a horse asking people questions. Yawn. At times it was rather pretty though and I only paid £20 for a code so not too bad. Just not my thing.

I then bought Mad Max about a month ago and started playing that. At first I must admit I really liked it. The graphics are a little dated but it didn't really matter, what with the theme being sand and all. Sadly after around ten hours I got to a quest where I had to go and take over another camp to impress some big ugly dude. And as much as I tried (on three camps over all) I just could not beat 30 people all rushing in at me from every angle. I found it to be completely unfair and games like that wind me up too much.

I wouldn't mind so much if taking energy was a quicker affair. But by the time I could raise the water bottle to my lips (no matter how far away I ran) I just could not get Max to drink the water quickly enough and thus, died over and over. The loading times for the game aren't really the best (with only Duke Nukem Forever being worse) so in the end I just gave up. It all became far too "Batman" for me.

Shame.

So no, right now my rig sits at idle with absolutely no load put on it whatsoever. Sadly all three of the games that actually got me excited are yet to be released (Fallout 4, Mirror's Edge 2 and Need for speed) so i haven't really gamed seriously in about three months. The last time I really got into it was with a mate when we played through Dead Island Riptide together. Quite an enjoyable romp.

I don't know if it's just me getting old (42) but gaming doesn't seem to have progressed as much as it should have. I can take any FPS right now and when I compare it to Half Life 2 (with the Cinematic mod) I just fail to see the improvements. Everything just feels the same, and oddly the last FPS I played through (and actually really enjoyed) was COD : Ghosts. I thought the dog was a good addition and enjoyed it :)

However, everything else is just sequels to sequels of sequels. IE - lazy, unimaginative slop and insipid cash ins.

I sat down with my wife the other day and we had a long chat and she said that maybe I had just outgrown it. I sure hope not after dumping nearly two grand into a rig to play games on.

So yeah, right now I am in a rut. And I would imagine the acid test is going to be Fallout 4. If I just can't get into it (or it just feels like the 6000 odd hours I put into FO3 and FONV) then I could well be hanging up my hat and selling up.

I'm trying my best to be optimistic, though. I reckon Fallout 4 could well light a fire under my rear end. From what I have seen I am very excited :)

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I'm a little older than you (46) and I could have pretty much written this. I even agree with your take on medieval games, so boring.

There have been a couple of decent games over the last 18 months. Dishonoured, Alien Isolation and Wolfenstein spring to mind but not much else.
    Currently playing Sniper Elite V2...not too bad.

16. Vault-Tec

I loved Wolfenstein. Good old fashioned shooter with some longevity for single players (like me). Dishonoured wasn't really my cup tbh. Not that I'm slating it, like Bethesda's other games it had some great fresh ideas in it's just that I like to be seen and heard when I pull the trigger :D

I couldn't play Alien Isolation. It would set my teeth on edge.. Too claustrophobic :D

I just hope Fallout 4 is nice and chilled and laid back and allows me to take things on at my own speed, rather than being forced. One of the wonders of Fallout 3 was just wandering into a building and then getting caught up in its history and so on.

I absolutely loved doing all of the little side quests in Fallout 3. Some were quite magestic :)

Then New Vegas came out and you couldn't really venture into many buildings.. The time restraints on that game were pretty obvious really. Not that I'm saying it wasn't good.. It was, it just didn't have the depth or the soul of FO3. It did have flair though that FO3 didn't have.

These next two weeks are going to go by reeaaaaallly slowly. What doesn't make it easier is they're now advertising it on TV lol. That's not helping, it's taking my mind away from killing time and making it go slower.

I think I need to do a Cartman and freeze myself for a couple of weeks.... :D

17. Vault-Tec

Just played through The Park in about an hour. Quite a deep experience and one I quite enjoyed :)

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Rebel Galaxy - as suenstar says it's a little gem and I got it for 10% off as well :) Very Freelancer-ish to me as it's a very simplified flight model (2D movement only) but the broadside bit works very well. The soundtrack, I agree, is great and I can just pootle around mining stuff, do trade runs or go kill me some pirates! :D

War Thunder - Still kind of trolling in arcade mode ground forces, grinding for my T4 Russian tanks but doing it in T2 T34s with 700+ crew skills so I'm having fun. My opponents? Maybe a little less :naughty:

Star Trek Online - Just bimbling around, got a Fed Engineer at level 51 as well as a Klingon Science officer at around 26ish. Not bad, not sure if I'll still be playing it in a few months but it's interesting enough for now.

19. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

Still playing by 4 but recently been a bit hooked of world of warships

20. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Been playing talisman on android again and getting quite angry at the injustice of the RNG!